Move Oliver to Defensive End

M. Wrotto

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Don't move Oliver anywhere.

Leave him at 3T, where he's having a good rookie season. Let him learn on the job. He needs reps at the pro level.

The only people thinking he's any kind of a letdown are those who bought into all of the Aaron Donald and John Randle comparisons and set themselves up to believe he'd have 6 or more sacks as a rookie. Warren Sapp -- arguably the greatest penetrating 3T of all time -- had 3 sacks as a rookie. John Randle, the Hall of Famer to whom Oliver was compared before the draft, had ONE sack in his rookie season. Historically, defensive tackles take a season or two to adjust to the pro game and start to dominate. Aaron Donald was a rare exception to this rule.

Oliver is doing just fine. He needs a bunch of reps the second half of the season and a full offseason in the weight room and he's gonna be the absolute least of the Bills' concerns going forward.

......and Kyle Williams had 0 sacks his rookie season.

I was just about to post the above win rate... so maybe he isn't so bad after all??

Here is the ESPN article to go with the ranking - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

Our Pass Block Win Rate metric tells us the rate at which linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer. Likewise, our Pass Rush Win Rate metric tells us how often a pass-rusher is able to beat his block within 2.5 seconds. Our model of pass blocking harnesses player tracking data from NFL Next Gen Stats.

• Like (+1) 1

Oliver is too short to play DE. It's too soon to give up on him as a DT. I would not hive up on him intil 4 weeks into 2021 season. By then he will have two offseasons to develop. If he hasn't by then, then he will be a bust.

Edmunds on the other hand could be an All-Pro OLB. I think they should sign or draft a MLB and move him outside. He would be a terror coming off the edge.

Ford may just need more time at RT. Not ready to give up on him as an OT but with Spain not playing well enough to deserve an extension and Feliciano signed for next year, it may be best to move Ford to one of the guard spots and draft another OT. They need to draft an OT anyways to hedge against Dawkins not coming back.

3 hours ago, M. Wrotto said:

I wonder why Oliver hasn’t been given the chance to play Defensive End. There is no mistaking his effort, but he seems to be often overmatched by the hulking Offensive Lineman and has has a really hard time releasing from their blocks. Jordan Phillips have proven to be much more effective on the inside and watching V Taylor a couple days ago I don’t see a great drop off. Oliver is strong as an Ox, young and quick, I think the coaches should give this a try and see what happens. Thoughts?

Image result for fred sanford heart attack gif

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

but what about kevin?

He’s busy handling out liquid and time iirc

44 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Per the board we have several significant busts .. Allen, Edmunds, Ford, and Oliver. Why not try this:

- Allen (a high ceiling prospect who needed time to groom) time is up move him to TE. Trade for Josh Rosen after the season since if you ignore the tape, he is clearly a product of a bad system and is in fact Pro-Ready but can be had for a fourth or fifth.

- Ford (who after 8 games will clearly never be a starting level player) - Move to a blocking TE and bring back Jordan Mills as he was much more consistent.

- Edmunds (freak athlete but can't man the middle). Give him a try at TE because he has a unique skill set that will allow him to beat LBers in space.

- Oliver (never has it been so clear after 8 games that someone will never be able to make the leap to be a DT in the league). I would think you should shift him to TE as he is fast and big.

Matt Barkley throwing to our new 4 TE set would be unstoppable. Go Bills.

You had me until Matt as starter.  He's proven to be a backup.  You know who I think deserves a shot at qb?  Logan Thomas.  Let's bring him back and switch him from TE to QB.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, M. Wrotto said:

I wonder why Oliver hasn’t been given the chance to play Defensive End. There is no mistaking his effort, but he seems to be often overmatched by the hulking Offensive Lineman and has has a really hard time releasing from their blocks. Jordan Phillips have proven to be much more effective on the inside and watching V Taylor a couple days ago I don’t see a great drop off. Oliver is strong as an Ox, young and quick, I think the coaches should give this a try and see what happens. Thoughts?

He's not long enough to play end.  Ed is doing fine, BTW...

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

......and Kyle Williams had 0 sacks his rookie season.

And had just as many problems against the run, even as a vet...

• Sad 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Kyle was a pretty good all around DT.

I know its heresy, but Kyle had some poor days stopping the run as well.   At least 4-5 times a game he'd shoot the wrong gap and open up a running lane.   It looked great when he made the right read, but it also led to lots of rushing yards when he didn't.    That was likely scheme-based more than Kyle, but just saying, the Bills often had trouble stopping the between-the-tackles running game long before Oliver came along...

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, wppete said:

Olive is fine at DT. He will have break out game soon. 

I agree, he’s fine. But I’d like to see him play all Dline positions. Edge and bull rush, stunt back to the inside.

Oliver is twitchy, 4.7 guy who can run, strong etc. I think he can excel at all 4.

In all honesty I think McD is a coach that doesn’t like to move to fast, learn 1 thing get it down and then try something different.

Lorax plays a few different positions. I think Edmonds should play inside and out, I think Oliver should play all positions. Shaq was used at DT last year in certain packages.