Move Oliver to Defensive End

M. Wrotto

I wonder why Oliver hasn’t been given the chance to play Defensive End. There is no mistaking his effort, but he seems to be often overmatched by the hulking Offensive Lineman and has has a really hard time releasing from their blocks. Jordan Phillips have proven to be much more effective on the inside and watching V Taylor a couple days ago I don’t see a great drop off. Oliver is strong as an Ox, young and quick, I think the coaches should give this a try and see what happens. Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, M. Wrotto said:

I wonder why Oliver hasn’t been given the chance to play Defensive End. There is no mistaking his effort, but he seems to be often overmatched by the hulking Offensive Lineman and has has a really hard time releasing from their blocks. Jordan Phillips have proven to be much more effective on the inside and watching V Taylor a couple days ago I don’t see a great drop off. Oliver is strong as an Ox, young and quick, I think the coaches should give this a try and see what happens. Thoughts?

jacknicholsonblink.gif

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Lay off Oliver.

He is a rookie playing a tough position.

Donald wasn’t exactly dominant at the start of his career either.

Be patient for once.

You need to tell this to our FO and coaching staff then who gave him his lowest snap count of the season on Sunday and had him playing ST.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OlivEd00/fantasy/2019

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The question for me to ppl is what if it takes someone like murphy off the field to do this

I think a lot of us are all for taking Murphy off the field, I just don't think moving Oliver to DE is the way to go about that.  Oliver is a rookie and it shouldn't be a surprise that he is struggling against professional C's and G's, who are much better than anything he saw in college.  I do think Ed needs to gain about 20 lbs and get more strength, just from what I've noticed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, M. Wrotto said:

And here I was just experiencing a mild pleasure over the fact that these "yeah, let's solve our problems by transitioning a player who has always played one position to another with significantly different roles and techniques.  WHAT COULD GO WRONG?" posts have died off of late.

• Haha (+1) 4