Joe B All-22 vs Redskins - Quinton Spain has been the best player since the Bye

YoloinOhio

Those honors go to left guard Quinton Spain, who’s turned his season around and was integral to the running game doing as well as it did against Washington.

Coach Sean McDermott didn’t shy away from calling Spain out early in the season, and he has responded. On Sunday, Spain showed off his power and movement skills against Washington’s talented defensive line. Running back Devin Singletary found plenty of success running behind Spain. The left guard also stood his ground in one-on-one pass-blocking situations and showed the awareness to complete combination blocks. 

He was one of the top performers against Washington, finishing second only to White. In comparison to the rest of the Bills’ offensive linemen over the past three weeks, Spain has taken off.

on the run D

Washington hit them with plenty of inside zone runs in the second quarter and the Bills were unable to adjust on two separate drives. Running back Adrian Peterson rushed the ball seven times for 93 yards, with 91 of those coming on the first five attempts. For the rest of the game (the first, third and fourth quarters), the Bills allowed only 17 yards to Peterson on 13 attempts.

So, how did the Bills lose focus over that five-play stretch?

It was not due to a single person, but rather a compilation of errors. Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano, Star Lotulelei, Ed Oliver, Jordan Phillips and Taron Johnson took turns being the culprit over that five-play stretch. The most crushing of the five plays, the 28-yard run, should have been stopped in the backfield. Johnson dove in from the edge without securing the tackle, which allowed Peterson to squirm into open field. Oliver, Phillips and Lotulelei each had a play in which Washington knocked them off their spot and influenced a big gain. On one of those plays, Lotulelei could have done a better job, but he has been an overall net-positive player for the Bills over the last two games and hasn’t deserved the criticism he’s received.
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Unfortunately he graded Dawkins a D and Feleciano a C+

Yikes, not good! ..... especially Dawkins.  What is the one position is becoming a big draft need?   Got it, pass rusher,  & I agree.

Edited by jabu

1 minute ago, jabu said:

Yikes, not good! ..... especially Dawkins.  What is the one position is becoming a big draft need?

Pass rusher - not surprisingly

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He was excellent on Sunday. When I did my review of Sunday's game this evening he was my 2nd highest grade Bill after the obvious - Tre White. 

He said Morse played well but didn’t really expand on it. Gave him a B. What did you think? 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was excellent on Sunday. When I did my review of Sunday's game this evening he was my 2nd highest grade Bill after the obvious - Tre White. 

I have been feeling that we need to make room for Spain next year for a while now even with the drafting of FordI have been feeling that we need to make room for Spain next year for a while now even with the drafting of Ford

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He said Morse played well but didn’t really expand on it. Gave him a B. What did you think? 

In my casual (non studied) observation, it appears Morse is good at getting to the second level and pulling, but not good on bull rushes and at the point of attack. Feliciano, at center, seemed better on his weaker points.

On the run defense- I watch the all 22 tonight and also noticed all but 1 of APs huge runs came against the nickel. 

Run D looked great when lorax was in.

Not sure why Neal hasn’t been getting snaps at nickel backer... much better at playing the run in the box than poyer or Johnson. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

What did he grade Nsekhe?

C+

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

On the run defense- I watch the all 22 tonight and also noticed all but 1 of APs huges run came against the nickel. 

Run D looked great when lorax was in.

Not sure why Neal hasn’t been getting snaps at nickel backer... much better at playing the run in the box than poyer or Johnson. 

Siran Neal got zero snaps. Poyer and Johnson both graded highly on this review. I would like to see Neal help out vs Landry on Sunday 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Edge rush, OT and WR are the biggest needs.  

Plus we we need an LB and a RB to replace Lorenzo and Gore.  

I think Zo might sign on for one more, but it is advised to find a replacement sooner rather than later.

IIRC we do have quite a few FAs and will lose some depth as a result of our roster actually having players that others want. It will be interesting to see how we work FA and the draft this year. Do you shell a large $$$$ contract with a 1-2 year hit for edge or WR and draft for the other?

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Move Ford to RG and start Bates at RT.  Can Feliciano play (better) at LG?

Does anyone have any insight if Waddle is good or is he simply a depth player?