One former Buffalo Bill passes another...literally.

30 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

If the Bills make the playoffs, forget about it HUDS.

We've EARNED the right to get fatter then.

I'm thinking Skyline (style) chili for all!

Slow Cooker Cincinnati Chili

Come to Butthead

I will go on record now, that I will absolutely bury myself in Buffalo Chix dip, spaghetti and meatballs and prolly some turkey tetrazzini casserole the evening of our 1st round playoff victory...the skyline chili that I’ve heard so much about—what’s a good recipe you’ve got I can make myself down here in the A? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I love Fitz and I'm happy that he's been able to carve out a sustained career in the NFL.

Ryan Fitzpatrick represents everything that is right with the NFL and the league would be better if there were more of him.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Interesting.  

There should be an asterisk because of all the teams that Fitz has been on. I don’t know if it makes him better, worse, or just different. Most of the other guys achieved their success with only one or two teams. 

I also appreciate your dialog at the end of your post. 

Amazingly Fitz has earned almost $70 million in his career...

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I will go on record now, that I will absolutely bury myself in Buffalo Chix dip, spaghetti and meatballs and prolly some turkey tetrazzini casserole the evening of our 1st round playoff victory...the skyline chili that I’ve heard so much about—what’s a good recipe you’ve got I can make myself down here in the A? 

Whoever knew that winning could be so sinful?!

...seriously, not us...we literally don't see enough winning to even piece it together with any sort of veteran panache.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Congratulations to former Buffalo Bill Ryan Fitzpatrick who this last weekend passed former Buffalo Bill Joe Ferguson on the all time TD pass list. 

Fitz now has 198 career TD passes (45th) while Fergy has 196 (tied for 48th).  Along the way this weekend  Fitz also passed Andy Dalton, Steve DeBerg, Bobby Lane and Kenny Anderson, just to name a few.  A couple of weeks back he passed Ken Stabler.

The next few weeks could see him passing Phil Simms, Roman Gabriel, Randall Cunningham, Jim Everett and Kurt Warner, if he gets on a roll.  

Please note I've stated nothing further about the above than just historically significant milestones, so respectfully please don't turn this into, 'Whoa, this guy thinks Fitzy should be in the Hall of Fame!  Who the hell does he think he is?!  Time to finish my beer and Cheetos and bring this guy down a peg!!!  ...what's my password again?"*

*  This self dialogue may, or may not take place in the homes of some, or one of us, on this Board.  It is used for example purposes only...I hope. 

Fitz has always been the consumate pro...a mercenary you call in to hold down the fort.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Amazingly Fitz has earned almost $70 million in his career...

And I bet he’s been careful with it.  He’s a smart guy, in fact I think he went to Harvard.  Of course, they say Gronk has been careful with his money, and I don’t think he went to Harvard.

Fitz is going to have a great second half of his life. And he should be able to afford for all of his kids to go to college. 

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

And I bet he’s been careful with it.  He’s a smart guy, in fact I think he went to Harvard.  Of course, they say Gronk has been careful with his money, and I don’t think he went to Harvard.

Fitz is going to have a great second half of his life. And he should be able to afford for all of his kids to go to college. 

Gronk has only earned $53 million...amazing that a journeyman QB made more than the best TE in the game but i guess he also played 7 more seasons...

From his interviews, I gather that despite all the places he has played, he still holds an affinity for Buffalo.

He once said that leaving Buffalo was very hard on his kids. I don't know if they still feel that way.

Has Fitzy ever won a playoff game?

7 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

If the Bills make the playoffs, forget about it HUDS.

We've EARNED the right to get fatter then.

I'm thinking Skyline (style) chili for all!

Slow Cooker Cincinnati Chili

Come to Butthead

They make those down at Hard Times Cafe in Alexandria Va call it a ChilliMac

• Thank you (+1) 1

If you google "smartest man in sports" you will find Fitzy mentioned in numerous articles. (Not "smartest man in the NFL," mind you-- smartest man in sports). He's 36, now, and is really one of the best journeyman backups out there-- a guy who can slide into the starting role and win games, which he has done for all 8 teams he has played for except his first, the Rams (0-3 as a starter for the Rams). He's on a two-year contract with Miami. Hard to imagine that Miami will be the last team he plays for. Wonder who he's going to play for next?

On 11/5/2019 at 5:35 PM, dollars 2 donuts said:

ATL...you won the internet today.  Please enjoy it....I am laughing quite a bit.

Gray, I would like to see him give up on being a starter and go to a good team, just once through out the miserable 8 teams he has played for.

Is it to see him win?  No.  Really, it is for once to see him, if only for half, play with a team that is really good.  By no means would that mean he is anything more than what he has always been.

However...aren't we just a little curious to see that?

So having Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Cameron Brate, DeSean Jackson and OJ Howard to throw to wasn't a good team? Come on man, it doesn't get much better than that, he is what he is like you said.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

So having Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Cameron Brate, DeSean Jackson and OJ Howard to throw to wasn't a good team? Come on man, it doesn't get much better than that, he is what he is like you said.

Some great receivers there, BBG, indeed.  However, even when Fitzy wasn't starting were these good teams?

Did Fitzy take the field with teams that were 5-2 (without help from him) and just screw it up?   I have no memory of a scenario were the team was really good and he messed up a good thing.  However, I am just going off memory and I could be wrong.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Some great receivers there, BBG, indeed.  However, even when Fitzy wasn't starting were these good teams?

Did Fitzy take the field with teams that were 5-2 (without help from him) and just screw it up?   I have no memory of a scenario were the team was really good and he messed up a good thing.  However, I am just going off memory and I could be wrong.

I'm of the belief that the QB makes the team around him better, he should have made the difference and he had the reigns of that Bucs team, it was his to lose and he lost. Those are really good players to throw to and the OL wasn't a complete dumpster fire either. Remember he won a few games and wore DeSean Jacksons gold chains with the chest hair hanging out? He got them a few decent wins but as we all know that's what he does, shows us he can be the man then turns into Todd Marinovich. He's definitely one of the best if not the best backup of all time and I wasn't crapping on your thread (which I enjoyed the read btw) just letting you know he was the man of a very good offense and turned into what we all know he turns into at some point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I'm of the belief that the QB makes the team around him better, he should have made the difference and he had the reigns of that Bucs team, it was his to lose and he lost. Those are really good players to throw to and the OL wasn't a complete dumpster fire either. Remember he won a few games and wore DeSean Jacksons gold chains with the chest hair hanging out? He got them a few decent wins but as we all know that's what he does, shows us he can be the man then turns into Todd Marinovich. He's definitely one of the best if not the best backup of all time and I wasn't crapping on your thread (which I enjoyed the read btw) just letting you know he was the man of a very good offense and turned into what we all know he turns into at some point.

Please, BBG, never once thought that you were crapping on the thread. Both of your posts were really good, my friend.

I will stress this about Fitzy, I also said this in an earlier thread and here as well...I would love to see the guy give up on being the number 1 guy and go to a place (if there is some successful team willing to take him) where the team is really good.

Agreed that the QB elevates the team, and sometimes he did, and man sometimes he didn't.

I am about to commit sacrilege here...Frank Reich was so good when he played on the 80s and 90s Bills teams and when he wasn't...man...he just didn't elevate anything in Carolina.

...I would like to see Fitzy in that situation as back up, just once, out of no other reason than I am just really curious to see it.

What if he had to come in for a game for New Orleans?  He is no Teddy Bridgewater and if forced to play a number of games wouldn't have similar success.

...but it would be interesting to see because, frankly, we've never seen it.

• Like (+1) 1

Fitz just never got the right situation for him because his skill set doesn't really allow for it. He is incredible off the bench when a team needs a spark but in order to put him in that position proactively it likely means alienating your starter. If coaches felt more comfortable just letting a starter know look, your playing like crap and Fitzy is coming in. Your still our guy. Well, I could see somebody like that really being able to help a franchise. Unfortunately he usually only came in after injury or then he played well enough to be named starter. He should have always been a guy to light a fuse and had plenty of options to do so given today's QB play if coaches weren't so squeamish on pulling a guy temporarily .       

IMO Fritz would be a great QB to insert when they needed someone to take chances because the "Take what the defense gives you" was not working. 

Teams only switch QBs during game if things are not working well so having a gunslinger in there is not an unnecessary risk.

Tyrod was the opposite after his first year.  Slow and steady but taking no chances so type you stick in to ensure no turnovers.