Sign in to follow this  
Logic

How Do NFL Teams Know When a Young QB is Worth Building Around? (good article)

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

This is well said.  As I've said, I want to see Mahomes and Watson continue.  I'll give Flacco as an example.  He wasn't a star like Mahomes, but he looked like a long time winning starting QB when he was young. He nevergrew, the league changed, and he became a castoff.  I just don't  trust short bodies of work as absolute evidence of greatness. 

Continual arc of improvement was what I was talking about.  That's what you need to see.  And I agree that if the guy hasn't shown consistent improvement and isn't looking like a keeper by the end of three seasons, hardas it is, you probably have to move on.  Problem is when you have a coaching change in the middle. That's what complicates the Mariota decision.  

I was a Flacco fan. But he was never close to what Watson and Mahomes have been. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

This is well said.  As I've said, I want to see Mahomes and Watson continue.  I'll give Flacco as an example.  He wasn't a star like Mahomes, but he looked like a long time winning starting QB when he was young. He nevergrew, the league changed, and he became a castoff.  I just don't  trust short bodies of work as absolute evidence of greatness. 

Continual arc of improvement was what I was talking about.  That's what you need to see.  And I agree that if the guy hasn't shown consistent improvement and isn't looking like a keeper by the end of three seasons, hardas it is, you probably have to move on.  Problem is when you have a coaching change in the middle. That's what complicates the Mariota decision.  

I was very skeptical about Watson' based on his performance as a rookie and about Mahomes early on last year, but in their third and second year as starters respectively, they are so good that even if they don't improve, they are great as they are.   Joe Flacco was good but never in the same area code as Watson and Mahomes. 

Mariota always seemed to me to be a very uninspiring game manager.   I think he lacks leadership for want of a better word.  Technically, he's probably a better passer than Tannehill, but Tannehill just gets more out of his teammates despite his shortcomings.