Pay Dirt - This week's fan column in Buff News

5 hours ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

I can’t read the full article w/o the BN subscription which I refuse to pay for. From the parts you provided it sounds like a decent description of some of the game action. As for the disappointed fans I am not sure there were the numbers they would like you to believe. This seems more of a national press opinion. To say a substantial number of the Bills Mafia are not pleased with the 6-2 record is a bit of a stretch IMO anyways.

Basically sounds like more of the same that has been hashed and rehashed on this board adnausium.

Image result for archie bunker gif shooting
Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Thanks a lot. Some people are never happy. Or rarely I should say.

I mentioned here before the games those white on whites are my favorite jerseys. They look awesome.

Another good job.

I guess I'm in the minority because I truly am enjoying the Bills season so far.

I made no predictions and had no grand expectations to start the season.  All that matters is Sundays game against the Browns.

The Bills could go 7-2 and that is just crazy fun to me.

I'll save my autopsy report for the end of the season.  LOL

Some good insight here in this Vic Carruci article on the fanbase and how the team reacts from Micah Hyde:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/05/buffalo-bills-micah-hyde-cleveland-browns-vic-carucci-nfl-football-week-10-opinion-2019/

"With their fans, it's the fear of building up hopes only to see them crushed into dust. Better to protect the heart with a thick shield of skepticism than expose it to being broken, as has happened so many times through the years. So find every flaw imaginable in a 6-2 start and brace yourself for when they bring on the inevitable unraveling.

With the national media, it's the idea that, well, they're the Bills. When you've been mostly bad so long, it's hard for anyone to accept that you can actually be good, even if the record suggests otherwise. There's no star power. There's nothing all that dynamic about the coach or the ownership or the city"

(....)

"[Hyde says] "You change our name with the majority of teams in this league, at 6-2, they're going to be up there in the top whatever in the rankings [note: I think he's speaking of the subjective rankings of various pundits put out by many outlets including nfl.com -hap] and all that stuff," Micah Hyde said Tuesday. "But we're the Buffalo Bills. We don't have the $30 million quarterback on our team and the high-profile players, so we've got to get it the hard way. And that's what we appreciate. The people here in Buffalo do the same thing, so we're going to have to try to fight it out and get the recognition somehow."

(....)

"Part of the perception problem, [Hyde] thinks, is also due to the messaging that he and his teammates have become conditioned to deliver, regardless of a game's outcome. That's a Sean McDermott thing.  "He preaches to us a lot about, 'We've got to win, but let's play better, let's play better, let's play better,' " Hyde said. "I think that we've been kind of saying that so much to the media that we're kind of drowning out the win part. "

(....)

Hyde doesn't want the Bills to ever settle for just getting by, nor does he believe they're wired that way. "It's obvious, we want to play better," Hyde said. (.....)

(...)

"Every game is close, anybody can beat anybody. ..... if you can win, at the end of the day, that's all that matters."

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

Singletary making himself small by running sideways to get that extra yard is what 34 used to do a lot on short yardage. He could learn from the Thurm.

Very true. His sudden, stop, juke and acceleration is often reminiscent of #34. We obviously do not want to make the total comparison to a Hall of Famer, but that element of his game sparks flashbacks.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Another good job.

I guess I'm in the minority because I truly am enjoying the Bills season so far.

I made no predictions and had no grand expectations to start the season.  All that matters is Sundays game against the Browns.

The Bills could go 7-2 and that is just crazy fun to me.

I'll save my autopsy report for the end of the season.  LOL

Thanks. I'm personally thrilled with all of these wins. There is a lot of mediocrity around the league this year, and it is a good one to take full advantage.

13 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Thanks. I'm personally thrilled with all of these wins. There is a lot of mediocrity around the league this year, and it is a good one to take full advantage.

Thank you for saying this.  There are very few good teams this year.  Mediocrity is rampant.  No one has played a tough schedule.   So no one should criticize anyone for playing a weak schedule. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Some good insight here in this Vic Carruci article on the fanbase and how the team reacts from Micah Hyde:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/05/buffalo-bills-micah-hyde-cleveland-browns-vic-carucci-nfl-football-week-10-opinion-2019/

"With their fans, it's the fear of building up hopes only to see them crushed into dust. Better to protect the heart with a thick shield of skepticism than expose it to being broken, as has happened so many times through the years. So find every flaw imaginable in a 6-2 start and brace yourself for when they bring on the inevitable unraveling.

With the national media, it's the idea that, well, they're the Bills. When you've been mostly bad so long, it's hard for anyone to accept that you can actually be good, even if the record suggests otherwise. There's no star power. There's nothing all that dynamic about the coach or the ownership or the city"

I never subscribe to this doomsday theory. It ruins your week and attitude. It's much more fun, you are much better to be around, and your life is just plain better if you are optimistic about the next game following a win. If, of course, they are a decent to good team, which they are.

That's not saying anyone should be blind to the team's faults or to just be a blatant homer. But rather to just look at the rosier possibilities. I never feel LESS bad after a loss just because I thought they would win. They all suck. I may be pissed more by how the game was played or if they blow it somehow, but it's ridiculous to not enjoy an entire week of buildup to the next game just because you might feel more bad if you get your hopes up. That's stupid, IMO. ;)

12 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Thank you for saying this.  There are very few good teams this year.  Mediocrity is rampant.  No one has played a tough schedule.   So no one should criticize anyone for playing a weak schedule. 

Exactly.

10 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Very true. His sudden, stop, juke and acceleration is often reminiscent of #34. We obviously do not want to make the total comparison to a Hall of Famer, but that element of his game sparks flashbacks.

I frequent a locally owned sports bar here in Colorado Springs for years.  Have a lot of friends rooting for a lot of different teams.

Out here almost everyone is FROM somewhere else but one thing everyone agrees on is their hatred of the Pats* (except for the few Patsy* fans of course).

The general consensus is the Bills are doing a lot of good things.  Funny how a lot of them are higher on the Bills than some here.

FWIW.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I frequent a locally owned sports bar here in Colorado Springs for years.  Have a lot of friends rooting for a lot of different teams.

Out here almost everyone is FROM somewhere else but one thing everyone agrees on is their hatred of the Pats* (except for the few Patsy* fans of course).

The general consensus is the Bills are doing a lot of good things.  Funny how a lot of them are higher on the Bills than some here.

FWIW.

Apparently, we don't like when other fans don't like us, or when they do. :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

I can’t read the full article w/o the BN subscription which I refuse to pay for. From the parts you provided it sounds like a decent description of some of the game action. As for the disappointed fans I am not sure there were the numbers they would like you to believe. This seems more of a national press opinion. To say a substantial number of the Bills Mafia are not pleased with the 6-2 record is a bit of a stretch IMO anyways.

Basically sounds like more of the same that has been hashed and rehashed on this board adnausium.

Yup.  A win is a win.  It is hard to win in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

Parity = mediocrity or do you think the changes of rules, especially concessions to NFLPA, are cause?

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

FWIW.

It does not surprise me at all.  Battered Bills Fan Syndrome seems to cause CTE.

Just now, KzooMike said:

Bills fans react the same as scorned lovers. It really is that simple. Most of us just throttle our expectations to avoid getting hurt. It sucks living that way. Don’t blame people that do but prefer the other approach. 

That is true but it really is a choice. You do not have to be the scorned lover.

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Parity = mediocrity or do you think the changes of rules, especially concessions to NFLPA, are cause?

It does not surprise me at all.  Battered Bills Fan Syndrome seems to cause CTE.

I don't think parity leads to mediocrity.  I think it should lead to more competitive football.  I think your latter point has merit...with the concessions to NFLPA.  There have been injuries this year that have really set some teams back.  Is that because of the limited contact in training camps and practice?  The officiating has had an impact.  Calls have cost teams games.   Teams that looked good last year and in the recent past are struggling this year with pretty much the same rosters.   

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think "not pleased with the 6-2 record" doesn't quite capture it.

I think everyone is pleased that we're 6-2, BUT.... the team's past track record of snatching disappointment from the jaws of a winning season combined with the low offensive scoring makes us fearful

But maybe I'm mistaken and a substantial number of fans actually are displeased.

Well if they are displeased they are as DC Tom puts it, Idiots. A year ago we were 2-6, and these tools still whimper like school girls, and to say that is unfair to school girls.

Go Bills!!!

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Well if they are displeased they are as DC Tom puts it, Idiots. A year ago we were 2-6, and these tools still whimper like school girls, and to say that is unfair to school girls.

Go Bills!!!

Will be interesting this week I think. It's in Cleveland. The Browns season is over if they lose although it may be already. They are not really as bad as their record and have some talent. If we win, hopefully it will not be regarded as a toothless win. If we lose, however, everyone will likely jump in and say see? We were a toothless tiger. I'm looking forward to a win.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Will be interesting this week I think. It's in Cleveland. The Browns season is over if they lose although it may be already. They are not really as bad as their record and have some talent. If we win, hopefully it will not be regardless as a toothless win. If we lose, however, everyone will likely jump in and say see? We were a toothless tiger. I'm looking forward to a win.

As am I,  I think we got this Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1