Pay Dirt - This week's fan column in Buff News

https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/05/buffalo-bills-washington-redskins-bills-mafia-pay-dirt/

Please read, comment, critique, pick nits, ballwash, badmouth, quote, misquote, preach, beeotch, and/or otherwise be yourselves. ;)

Here is a tease...

By definition, “pay dirt” is the “ground containing ore in sufficient quantity to be profitably extracted.” In football parlance, it is reaching that hallowed ground of the end zone for a touchdown. 

The Bills reached pay dirt three times against the Redskins on Sunday, without allowing Washington to mine that ore once, in a strangely unsatisfying 15-point win, 24-9. 

Devin Singletary is a human jukebox. He somehow runs sideways like a crab, with a burst of speed he is not supposed to own. With X-ray vision only superheroes possesshe can see through walls, seemingly behind him, and before stuff happens in real life. 

Bills fans have been screaming for Singletary to get the rock more, and he finally had his breakout game with a few breakaway scampers, including the Bills' first well-designed, timed, and executed screen pass in 83 years. 

Singletary hit pay dirt by skedaddling to the corner of the end zone from two yards out to ice the game and put the Redskins out of our misery.   

Frank Gore tried to batter-ram his way into pay dirt on three consecutive carries in the first quarter but got steamrolled each time. During the Bills' first drive of the third quarter, on fourth-and-1, they tried to bum-rush it in again and got barricaded again, turning it over on downs. Undeterred, or insanely stubborn, in the fourth quarter on third-and-2, they tried it a fifth time and got promptly curb-stomped. Looks like a trend. 

Bills fans complain offensive coordinator Brian Daboll gets a little too cute at times in the middle of the field, and then is not adorable enough in short yardage.  

Many Bills fans left mildly if not majorly disappointed with the win. A substantial portion of Bills Mafiadom is not all that happy with the 6-2 record because they have all been untidy wins against bottom dwellers. Buffalo has not had a clean, convincing victory all season.

l Sean McDermott cheers on his team at New Era Field.  (James P. McCoy/Buffalo News)

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I can’t read the full article w/o the BN subscription which I refuse to pay for. From the parts you provided it sounds like a decent description of some of the game action. As for the disappointed fans I am not sure there were the numbers they would like you to believe. This seems more of a national press opinion. To say a substantial number of the Bills Mafia are not pleased with the 6-2 record is a bit of a stretch IMO anyways.

Basically sounds like more of the same that has been hashed and rehashed on this board adnausium.

• Like (+1) 1

Always a pleasure to read your take on the game, Pete.  The word "unsatisfying" hit the nail on the head...yet we won by 15 points, 5 points better than the spread.  

Has the minimum acceptable standard for Bills fans become perfection?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Well, eye for won am not paying for that dirt. :angry:

:unsure:

There are those who call you... Cheap Tim?

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Side note Kelly--how long does it normally take to knock the column out? Do you write it all in one sitting, or come back to it bit by bit? Finished product always entertaining either way. 

Couple hours. One sitting. I will watch the condensed game on Game Pass right before I start to write, and usually have a little theme before I start. Thanks!

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

Always a pleasure to read your take on the game, Pete.  The word "unsatisfying" hit the nail on the head...yet we won by 15 points, 5 points better than the spread.  

Has the minimum acceptable standard for Bills fans become perfection?

Sure seems that way. It's true they haven't put a whole game together. And I myself was not wholly satisfied. It's a totally new feeling though, after losing so many games so many years like this, we're not happy with wins either. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, girl.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

I can’t read the full article w/o the BN subscription which I refuse to pay for. From the parts you provided it sounds like a decent description of some of the game action. As for the disappointed fans I am not sure there were the numbers they would like you to believe. This seems more of a national press opinion. To say a substantial number of the Bills Mafia are not pleased with the 6-2 record is a bit of a stretch IMO anyways.

Basically sounds like more of the same that has been hashed and rehashed on this board adnausium.

Well, I looked all over here, looked all over twitter, looked on other Bills sites, talked to a lot of people in LA and some friends in Buffalo and everyone seemed like that. You are basing this opinion on what?

Good read.  This business about the Bills schedule is kind of lame.  For years we've been advised that our schedule is one of the toughest; so we lose and everyone agrees it was a given.  So we finally have a easier schedule and we're winning and everyone thus says it's a given.  Take the "given" and run with it.  If we were losing to these teams, everyone would be complaining as well.

By the way, I haven't seen much comment on the all white unis.  I really like them.  Reminds me of the old Cleveland Browns when Jim was smokin'.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Side note Kelly--how long does it normally take to knock the column out? Do you write it all in one sitting, or come back to it bit by bit? Finished product always entertaining either way. 

Maybe he does it like Jerry - writes it ahead of time and then adds facts which fit his story after game.  This method allows more drinking after game.

6 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Good read.  This business about the Bills schedule is kind of lame.  For years we've been advised that our schedule is one of the toughest; so we lose and everyone agrees it was a given.  So we finally have a easier schedule and we're winning and everyone thus says it's a given.  Take the "given" and run with it.  If we were losing to these teams, everyone would be complaining as well.

So you are saying some like complaining more than winning.  As the saying goes "No ***** Sherlock!" 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Well, I looked all over here, looked all over twitter, looked on other Bills sites, talked to a lot of people in LA and some friends in Buffalo and everyone seemed like that. You are basing this opinion on what?

I don't think "not pleased with the 6-2 record" doesn't quite capture it.

I think everyone is pleased that we're 6-2, BUT.... the team's past track record of snatching disappointment from the jaws of a winning season combined with the low offensive scoring makes us fearful

But maybe I'm mistaken and a substantial number of fans actually are displeased.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think "not pleased with the 6-2 record" doesn't quite capture it.

I think everyone is pleased that we're 6-2, BUT.... the team's past track record of snatching disappointment from the jaws of a winning season combined with the low offensive scoring makes us fearful

But maybe I'm mistaken and a substantial number of fans actually are displeased.

If you are fearful, you are not pleased. If you are pleased, you are not fearful. ;) It's a semantic argument.

My point is actually that I agree with you, if you asked fans "Are you pleased with a 6-2 record?" They would almost universally say yes. But they are not acting pleased at all. They start with what went wrong rather than what went right. The cries that this is unsustainable come out before it's awesome that the Bills are 6-2. That is more of the point. People leaving the game or sports bar seem more relieved and concerned than pumped.

37 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Maybe he does it like Jerry - writes it ahead of time and then adds facts which fit his story after game.  This method allows more drinking after game.

Ummmmm. no... and I drink plenty during the game. :beer:

They have a special drink for me at the Bills bar, called "A vodka." It consists of vodka, vodka, vodka, and grapefruit juice, with a splash of sprite.

47 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

By the way, I haven't seen much comment on the all white unis.  I really like them.  Reminds me of the old Cleveland Browns when Jim was smokin'.

Thanks a lot. Some people are never happy. Or rarely I should say.

I mentioned here before the games those white on whites are my favorite jerseys. They look awesome.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If you are fearful, you are not pleased. If you are pleased, you are not fearful. ;) It's a semantic argument.

Nonsense.  I can, for example, be pleased that my mother is currently out of the hospital and doing well, but fearful based upon her past track record that this will not last.

Likewise, I can be pleased that my Buffalo Bills are currently 6-2, but fearful based upon the team's past track record that this will not last.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

My point is actually that I agree with you, if you asked fans "Are you pleased with a 6-2 record?" They would almost universally say yes. But they are not acting pleased at all. They start with what went wrong rather than what went right. The cries that this is unsustainable come out before it's awesome that the Bills are 6-2. That is more of the point. People leaving the game or sports bar seem more relieved and concerned than pumped.

Fair.

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Many Bills fans left mildly if not majorly disappointed with the win. A substantial portion of Bills Mafiadom is not all that happy with the 6-2 record because they have all been untidy wins against bottom dwellers. Buffalo has not had a clean, convincing victory all season.

I think a win against the Patriots and/or a better showing against Philly would alleviate some of these concerns.  Some Bills fans know we have Dallas, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and NE coming up again; three of those can easily be losses.  Cleveland and Denver will be no cake walk and are winnable games, yet there is concern that the Bills will lay an egg on one of these games.  No one wants to see potentially 11-5 slip to 9-7 and needed help again just to get to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1