Sign in to follow this  
corta765

Fixing NFL Divisional Structure

20 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I guess from the 10 trillion player interviews I've seen in all sports for decades, the pro athletes I have personally known or talked to, and the general landscape of the sporting world in the 21st century.

Rivalries are a thing for fans, created by fans, and discussed by fans.  They are the only piece of the sports machine that sticks around long enough for the "rivalry" to have any meaning.   

Players approach the whole thing for what it is: a business.

Which is fine, but the league is really about getting fans to watch on TV. The fans care about rivalries, which is why the NFL has always thought them to be important. If players, not fans cared about rivalries the NFL wouldn’t care at all. 

Get rid of all the divisions. I would rather play against all teams more frequently. Maybe keep one traditional rivalry game and then just put everyone on a rotation. I hate the fact it might be another decade before Bills visit Lambeau. 

Top 6 or 8 in each conference make the playoffs. The fact a 7-9 Seattle team made the playoffs over other teams with winning records should have killed off the divisions. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Which is fine, but the league is really about getting fans to watch on TV. The fans care about rivalries, which is why the NFL has always thought them to be important. If players, not fans cared about rivalries the NFL wouldn’t care at all. 

Bears Packers

Cowboys Giants

Steelers Browns

What other rivalries really have any meaning in NFL? Like my other post I would be ok with one rivalry game for each team but it will be hard to define. Is it Miami or Jets for Bills? What is the rivalry game for Arizona or Tampa?