Bills Record under McD when opponent scores 20 points

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

3-17 is pathetic.....  This is a different thread.....

And yes 300 yards passing usually results in more points and enables you to stay in games where the other team puts up 20+.

No it doesn't. 300 yards passing is not connected to anything that 299 yards passing isn't as well. Or 250. There's nothing special about 300.

How many games over 300 yards passing does Stafford have? How many did Drew Brees have when the Saints were terrible? They still lost a lot of games.

This type of stat is junky for many reasons. Last year we knowingly started the worst OL in the history of our franchise. Half of McD's tenure as coach has been started by guys not even starting in this league anymore, Those QBs weren't his choice. I am not defending his conservative strategy, but simply lumping the last 3 years together as a trend of his doing is just not logical. At the end of next year we should be asking what output the offense has had since Allen has been QB under McD. That would be meaningful and should be progressing based on talent and experience of Allen.

• Coach McDermott has a career 21-20 * record with the Bills, best since Wade was fired.
  • We are 6-2 this year and 2 games up in WC.
  • We can win every game 5-3 except for one at 3-2 for all I care.

Just win.

* Includes playoffs

Go BILLS !!!

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Maybe we can take into account that virtually the entire offense has new starters this year and it takes time for an offense to come together.  I expect better things from this offense to finish out the season.  Prior to this year, the offense really did suck.  This year, I don't feel that way - I think they just have yet to put it all together.  That said, would sure love to see that breakout game sooner rather than later because our defense can't be expected to win all of them.

10 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Maybe we can take into account that virtually the entire offense has new starters this year and it takes time for an offense to come together.  I expect better things from this offense to finish out the season.  Prior to this year, the offense really did suck.  This year, I don't feel that way - I think they just have yet to put it all together.  That said, would sure love to see that breakout game sooner rather than later because our defense can't be expected to win all of them.

I told my friend before the year started that the offense would struggle in the first half of the year, but be better the second half. It only makes sense with 9 new starters, how little they play in preseason games now and a young, talented, but unpolished QB.

The coaching staff didn't like Tyrod, but the longer we get into the year the more it looks like Josh is being coached into Tyrod. Both could hit the long ball until they got under this coaching staff. Then both started throwing every long pass either out of bounds or way too far for the WR to catch. Let the kid play for Christ's sake, he's going to make mistakes, let him learn from them. 

Another thing the defense is really good at yards allowed and points allowed, but doesn't get many turnovers outside of a few games. They got 8 total turnovers in the Giants, Bengals & Dolphins games, but only have 3 in the other 5 games. Also I thought with the addition of Roberts the special teams would give us a lot more good/great returns than they have this year. The offense doesn't get many short fields and have a ton of long TD drives so far this year.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I will continue to bang the drum that the coaching of the offense & Allen and refusal to open up the offense, throw for 300 and see what they really have in Josh Allen.

I am 100% behind him and want him to the Bills QB the next dozen years.

Scoring 20 is not a high benchmark in this league and almost every team would tell you that is the minimum they expect week after week.

Here is the Bills record when the opposition scores 20 points vs. the Bills 3-17.

The Bills have beaten

TB in 2017 30-27

Jacksonville 2018 24-21

Miami 2019 31-21

Discuss????

Peterman, TT, Anderson and now Allen. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight. These guys are/were not capable of winning shootouts. Add the crap receivers and you get the losing record you posted.

The bigger issue is why does McDermott's defense get blown out a few times a year?

9 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I told my friend before the year started that the offense would struggle in the first half of the year, but be better the second half. It only makes sense with 9 new starters, how little they play in preseason games now and a young, talented, but unpolished QB.

The coaching staff didn't like Tyrod, but the longer we get into the year the more it looks like Josh is being coached into Tyrod. Both could hit the long ball until they got under this coaching staff. Then both started throwing every long pass either out of bounds or way too far for the WR to catch. Let the kid play for Christ's sake, he's going to make mistakes, let him learn from them. 

I forget what game I was watching now, but Romo was the commentator.  He made a very interesting, and possibly telling remark.  He said one of his coaches used to tell him, "I want you to throw two interceptions today".

His point wasn't that the coach really wants the QB to throw picks, it's that making mistakes in reading the coverage are part of the learning process for a young QB who plays aggressively and slings it, and that he needs to feel as though it's OK with his coaches for him to make the occasional mistake or he'll become afraid to take chances.

I do think it might be a fair point that our coaches have Josh so concerned about making mistakes that he's become reluctant to take shots.  On the other hand, he was taking too many chances and hurting the team, so it needed to be curtailed.

Hopefully it will balance out in a bit.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I forget what game I was watching now, but Romo was the commentator.  He made a very interesting, and possibly telling remark.  He said one of his coaches used to tell him, "I want you to throw two interceptions today".

His point wasn't that the coach really wants the QB to throw picks, it's that making mistakes in reading the coverage are part of the learning process for a young QB who plays aggressively and slings it, and that he needs to feel as though it's OK with his coaches for him to make the occasional mistake or he'll become afraid to take chances.

I do think it might be a fair point that our coaches have Josh so concerned about making mistakes that he's become reluctant to take shots.  On the other hand, he was taking too many chances and hurting the team, so it needed to be curtailed.

Hopefully it will balance out in a bit.

Not that it matters much but I’m like 99% sure Romo said that when we we played the Vikings

Edited by Bangarang

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’d be interested to see if that same record holds true for other teams. In another words what’s the league wide record when you allow 20 or more points? 

The league record when the opposing team scores 20 or more points is 57 wins and 115 losses.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&year_min=2019&year_max=2019&game_type=R&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&temperature_gtlt=lt&c1stat=points_opp&c1comp=gte&c1val=20&c5val=1.0&order_by=points_diff&offset=0

10 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Makes sense. Bills D has been pretty good at limiting points. When D isnt playing good, we will most likely lose every game. The O is still a work in progress. We really need offensive play makers early in the next draft.

I can already see the “he’s just a rookie, you can’t expect him to be a difference maker yet” post.

54 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

what do you expect to see and at what point do you worry if you don’t see it?

7 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Or people watch the games and look past the final score to see that they are lucky they have faced bad teams so far to get to where they are, and the offence isn't going to get it done against good teams.  Unless you believe that the Bills will have more games where kickers miss 4+ FGs and EPs, or the offence will be able to just flip a switch and win a shoot out against the Chiefs or Ravens......

I don't know, I mean I watched the Vikings host the Redskins in Minnesota last week, and they barely got by them, winning 19-9. They let the Redskins hang around until the 4th quarter when they finally put them away. And this is the Vikings offense, one of the top offenses in the league.

I'd say we did pretty well, offensively, all things considered. And although the Redskins have a crappy record, and are statistically in the bottom third defensively in the league, they're still able to pose big problems...even for teams with "good" offenses.

I am likely one of if not the oldest posters on the board, born in 1948, original bills fan, I was looking back at the 64 Bills, who IMHO vs. competition, were the best Bills team in their history, and They were 12-2 regular season and beat San Diego in the [Thanks Mike Stratton] title game 20-7.  They averaged 28 ppg, High of 48 low of 13.  They allowed 16.5 ppg, high of 36, low of three [against the chargers no less - they held the second best team in the league to 3 and 7 points].  McD needs to get to that level.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

I am likely one of if not the oldest posters on the board, born in 1948, original bills fan, I was looking back at the 64 Bills, who IMHO vs. competition, were the best Bills team in their history, and They were 12-2 regular season and beat San Diego in the [Thanks Mike Stratton] title game 20-7.  They averaged 28 ppg, High of 48 low of 13.  They allowed 16.5 ppg, high of 36, low of three [against the chargers no less - they held the second best team in the league to 3 and 7 points].  McD needs to get to that level.

I was at the stadium and saw The Hit.  The ‘64 defense was one of the all time great defenses.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I was at the stadium and saw The Hit.  The ‘64 defense was one of the all time great defenses.

Agreed, quality throughout.  Tom Sestak until his knees went was one of a kind.  Ed Oliver who is bigger,faster, and stronger, should watch his film.

Sestak Dominated Ron Mix in that game.

That's the Truth.  He was great at sifting to get to the ball carrier, and rarely got taken advantage of on screens, and Milano [who is very good IMHO] should watch Mike Stratton film on how to put the hurt on RB's.

Edited by BearNorth