Bills Record under McD when opponent scores 20 points

11 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I don't know...I mean, we just scored 24 points and held the Redskins to 9 points, and even then a lot of people seem pretty uptight about it.

I am of the opinion some of this is classical psychological defense mechanisms by Bills fans who are scarred by the past.  People see good things happening this year and they  repress that so they don't have to be vulnerable if for some reason a loss occurs.  They displace their fear by projecting (Allen is horrible, Allen is OK but why can't he be like X).  They undergo regression to go back in time and find another time in Bills history where things didn't go well and project that to today's team (a favorite of some here).

Rather than celebrate an excellent record when the D plays good, it's safer to one's psyche to bash the team when the offense doesn't score X number of points.  Rather that get excited about wins, it's safer to the psyche to say you only want wins if they are entertaining wins, or if they only win by throwing for a certain number of yards.  And so on.

Classic psychologic mechanisms at play here.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I will continue to bang the drum that the coaching of the offense & Allen and refusal to open up the offense, throw for 300 and see what they really have in Josh Allen.

I am 100% behind him and want him to the Bills QB the next dozen years.

Scoring 20 is not a high benchmark in this league and almost every team would tell you that is the minimum they expect week after week.

Here is the Bills record when the opposition scores 20 points vs. the Bills 3-17.

The Bills have beaten

TB in 2017 30-27

Jacksonville 2018 24-21

Miami 2019 31-21

Discuss????

bang the drum here for what? We can’t do anything about it. Go put up a billboard or something.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

3-17 is pathetic.....  This is a different thread.....

And yes 300 yards passing usually results in more points and enables you to stay in games where the other team puts up 20+.

Passing for 300 yards is, by far, the dumbest stat in professional football and anyone who insists that it plays a pivotal role is simply showing their inability to understand football. 

Don't believe me?  Ask Andy Dalton. He has three 300-yard games this year. Where is he? Bench.

But hey...keep beating the horse.

38 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I don't know...I mean, we just scored 24 points and held the Redskins to 9 points, and even then a lot of people seem pretty uptight about it.

Well, that's because if you remove the plays which scored TDs, the Bills lose that game. That's how bad they are. 

Not to mention, do you have any idea how much it hurts their post-season prospects by beating a team in the NFC?

Bad things, man. Bad things.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

You can start by firing Daboll. Then you can get me a sandwich and join me in my office for some high profile meetings.  I can share insider knowledge from TBD and we'll figure out how to get this offense rolling over a beer. 

But Daboll is 6-2 and the team is winning....

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I am of the opinion some of this is classical psychological defense mechanisms by Bills fans who are scarred by the past.  People see good things happening this year and they  repress that so they don't have to be vulnerable if for some reason a loss occurs.  They displace their fear by projecting (Allen is horrible, Allen is OK but why can't he be like X).  They undergo regression to go back in time and find another time in Bills history where things didn't go well and project that to today's team (a favorite of some here).

Rather than celebrate an excellent record when the D plays good, it's safer to one's psyche to bash the team when the offense doesn't score X number of points.  Rather that get excited about wins, it's safer to the psyche to say you only want wins if they are entertaining wins, or if they only win by throwing for a certain number of yards.  And so on.

Classic psychologic mechanisms at play here.

Or people watch the games and look past the final score to see that they are lucky they have faced bad teams so far to get to where they are, and the offence isn't going to get it done against good teams.  Unless you believe that the Bills will have more games where kickers miss 4+ FGs and EPs, or the offence will be able to just flip a switch and win a shoot out against the Chiefs or Ravens......

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

The problem is that when Allen opens it up, the ints and sacks (with fumbles) happen. Eventually, they will have to find out if this guy is any good or not. Right now, he is a game manager that wins when the defense plays well. That is not the QB that I want here long term. THey will continue to limit him this year with the playoffs in sight, but next year, it's all or nothing.

While I agree with this, the real question is when do you open up Allen and the offense?  I'm more concerned with the support around Allen than I am with Allen.  I think we need to sure up the line and get both another good RB and WR, perhaps before we open up the offense.

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I will continue to bang the drum that the coaching of the offense & Allen and refusal to open up the offense, throw for 300 and see what they really have in Josh Allen.

I am 100% behind him and want him to the Bills QB the next dozen years.

Scoring 20 is not a high benchmark in this league and almost every team would tell you that is the minimum they expect week after week.

Here is the Bills record when the opposition scores 20 points vs. the Bills 3-17.

The Bills have beaten

TB in 2017 30-27

Jacksonville 2018 24-21

Miami 2019 31-21

Discuss????

I'll discuss. Allen needs work on the short game and limiting stupid errors. Like, a college career amount of work. They are doing that. I think winning a bunch has come as a little surprise and sure is helpful for the whole team's growth together. Allen's clutch moments and the D have brought those wins.

Once the basics are second nature to Allen, they will add more. If you want to enjoy it, have some patience and enjoy the improvements. If, instead, you want to bang drums then I have a nice set of Slingerlands you can play if you don't mind traveling to Ontario. 

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Not as good as Oliver... 

Seriously?   You are aware that Oliver was benched in the Washington game, right? 

DK Metcalf OTOH has caught 29 passes for 525 yards (18.1 y/r) and 5 TDs. 

Just now, SoTier said:

Seriously?   You are aware that Oliver was benched in the Washington game, right? 

DK Metcalf OTOH has caught 29 passes for 525 yards (18.1 y/r) and 5 TDs. 

Sarcasm is a subtle art... maybe you can audit a class at the Community College? 

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

McD is a motivator and a great leader, solid defensive mind.    After that he's at the mercy of his OC.

Interesting to note that the back shoulder throw to Brown and the long ball attempt to Foster were both plays that we had flags on and thought were free plays.

As soon as Brown caught his pass I remember saying it's about time we started to take some chances on 3rd downs and push it downfield, then I heard Brown say after the game we thought it was a free play.   Sheesh, can't we just take a few chances for our guys downfield to make some catches?

McD and Daboll are surely aware that a vertical passing game is going to be required to win a playoff game.   I hope to see us opening up the game a little more each week in preparation for a road playoff game where we're going to need to have intermediate and deep routes in play.   

Would there be anything safer than a back shoulder throw to big Duke on a 5'10 CB ?   If he's not catching it nobody is....

Daboll was McDermott's choice at OC.  His first OC was lousy, too.   In fact, he's on his second coach at most of the offensive and special teams positions in three seasons.   If he can't hire decent assistants, he's not a very good HC.

• Like (+1) 1