Bills Record under McD when opponent scores 20 points

18 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I will continue to bang the drum that the coaching of the offense & Allen and refusal to open up the offense, throw for 300 and see what they really have in Josh Allen.

I am 100% behind him and want him to the Bills QB the next dozen years.

Scoring 20 is not a high benchmark in this league and almost every team would tell you that is the minimum they expect week after week.

Here is the Bills record when the opposition scores 20 points vs. the Bills 3-17.

The Bills have beaten

TB in 2017 30-27

Jacksonville 2018 24-21

Miami 2019 31-21

Discuss????

I'm curious how other teams fare by this criteria.

It strikes me as another way to say "we were a 6-10 team last year and we're a team with a stronger D than O this year"

The league average for points scored/points given up is 23 ppg +/- 5 ppg (rounding up or down per std rules) meaning a normal average between is 18-28 ppg scored or given up

So obviously there are two ways to win:

1) score more points than the league average

2) give up fewer points than the league average

The Bills clearly have a stronger D than their O this year, so we win by the latter strategy.

I don't think there are that many teams across the league who win when their opponent scores more than 3 TDs, but I will acknowledge I haven't studied it.

But I'm wondering if you have, or if you only looked at the Bills?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I will continue to bang the drum that the coaching of the offense & Allen and refusal to open up the offense, throw for 300 and see what they really have in Josh Allen.

Scoring 20 is not a high benchmark in this league and almost every team would tell you that is the minimum they expect week after week.

Here is the Bills record when the opposition scores 20 points vs. the Bills 3-17.

The Bills have beaten

TB in 2017 30-27

Jacksonville 2018 24-21

Miami 2019 31-21

Discuss????

I think we all know that the Bills need some help on offense.  Discussion over

• Thank you (+1) 1

The offense is certainly wanting, and as odd as it sounds, appears to be purposely held back at times during games, even last season when the team was kicking Minnesota azs, no output in the second half. The same scenario has played out many times last season and this season, it makes for an unattractive product. It almost seems as if SM is afraid of being dominant, and again it sounds odd to say it, I for one just don’t get it.

I am very happy the team is presently at 6-2, hell what Bills fan wouldn’t be happy with that record? Oops, it appears many... I think many of the more even keeled posters here understand what I’m trying to get at in the previous paragraph, or at least I hope so. On to the Browns and 7-2!

Go Bills!!!

The Bills have beaten

TB in 2017 30-27

Jacksonville 2018 24-21

Miami 2019 31-21

Discuss????

They have to find a way to win more of those games, but they are generally good at avoiding those games.

The offense is still a work in progress. Nine new starters, lot of turnover, continuing to game plan so that your QB has room to improve while limiting opportunities for mistakes at the same time. It's a delicate balance. The defense has been pretty good, they keep this team in games, but the offense still isn't at a point where they can afford a pick or two and still overcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

The problem is that when Allen opens it up, the ints and sacks (with fumbles) happen. Eventually, they will have to find out if this guy is any good or not. Right now, he is a game manager that wins when the defense plays well. That is not the QB that I want here long term. THey will continue to limit him this year with the playoffs in sight, but next year, it's all or nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

Mc Dermott has coached 40 regular season games.  His record is 21-19.  In the 21 wins, the opponents have scored over 20 three times.  In the 19 losses, the winning opponent has been held under 20 twice.  So In games where the opponents have been held under 20 during the past three seasons the Bills are 18-2.

• Like (+1) 1

The OPs post implies that the coaches are somehow holding Allen back.  I don't believe that's the case at all.  What you see is what we are getting with Allen.  He isn't lighting the world on fire, but he makes a few great plays a game which really have been clutch.  The two scrambles/passes to brown come to mind  from last game(one was a drop and the other a great catch by Brown.) Both should have been sacks but we ended up converting a big 3rd down.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McD is a motivator and a great leader, solid defensive mind.    After that he's at the mercy of his OC.

Interesting to note that the back shoulder throw to Brown and the long ball attempt to Foster were both plays that we had flags on and thought were free plays.

As soon as Brown caught his pass I remember saying it's about time we started to take some chances on 3rd downs and push it downfield, then I heard Brown say after the game we thought it was a free play.   Sheesh, can't we just take a few chances for our guys downfield to make some catches?

McD and Daboll are surely aware that a vertical passing game is going to be required to win a playoff game.   I hope to see us opening up the game a little more each week in preparation for a road playoff game where we're going to need to have intermediate and deep routes in play.   

Would there be anything safer than a back shoulder throw to big Duke on a 5'10 CB ?   If he's not catching it nobody is....

3-17 is pathetic.....  This is a different thread.....

And yes 300 yards passing usually results in more points and enables you to stay in games where the other team puts up 20+.

you're basing that off the past, THIS SEASON they have only lost one game where the opponents offense scored more then 20. the eagles.

so your crusade holds no water. find a better hobby as you suck at this. as for the 300 yd games. pfft, another worthless crusade.

2019 NFL 300-Yard Passing Games

week one. 13 QB's passed for 300 yds or more. 7 wins. 2 ties. 4 losses

week two. 7 QB's passed for 300 or more yds. 4 wins. 3 losses.

week three. 11 QB's passed for 300 or more yds. 5 wins. 6 losses.

week four. 8 QB's passed for 300 or more yds. 4 wins. 4 losses.

week 5. 9 QB's passed for 300 or more yds. 4 wins. 5 losses.

week 6. 8 QB's passed for 300 or more yds. 4 wins. 4 losses.

week 7. 7 QB's passed for 300 or more yds. 4 wins. 3 losses.

week 8. 8 QB's passed for 300 or more yds. 4 wins. 4 losses.

week 9 6 QB's passed for 300 or more yds. 2 wins. 4 losses.

the 300 yd crusade doesn't show much. I'd say based off these stats above. winning doesn't always lead to the QB throwing for 300 yds. but what does lead to winning starts with the coaches, the talent on the field and whether the team can find success in all three phases of the game, not just from the QB throwing for 300 yds.

have a nice day chief.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Remember the old poem about Casey at the Bat?  His team lost because he was too interested in style than just playing the game.

Josh Allen could throw the ball a lot more, sure, you bet.  If he did that would the Bills still be 6-2?  I think they'd be 4-4 and looking back on some really pretty pass completions, instead of looking forward to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

32-31-2

That's the record of 300 yard passers this year.  1 game over .500 while we are 4 games over with 57 fewer games played.  I doubt we would be 6-2 if we tried to force the passing game just to appease forum crusaders who aren't sufficiently entertained. 

I wonder if the OP realizes garbage time is a thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1