The Athletic breaks down Singletary’s big day: The Bills have primarily been a passing team, until Sunday - and it worked

YoloinOhio

On 11/5/2019 at 6:57 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I hope the Bills roll with the OL they played last week. Ford can spell at RG if needed. 

Yup, run to set up the pass this week. Looking to see some big plays off play action after the run is established.

9 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I 100% blame the play calls. How many OLines can bulldoze an 11 man front at will? That’s a crap ton of weight and an unfair task to ask of your linemen.

But i think strongly , that was exactly the point.

impose thine will

37 minutes ago, SJDK said:

Yup, run to set up the pass this week. Looking to see some big plays off play action after the run is established.

won't count against the Browns though.  lol

Bills need to establish the run and set the tone that way.
as you mention

RO and play action is where Daboll wants to be with Allen imo

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/5/2019 at 6:59 AM, billsfan1959 said:

Their run game has been inconsistent most of the year and lacking a serious playmaking threat. If they continue to feature Singletary and he is able to produce the way he did on Sunday, it will really open up the play action game for Allen and, just maybe, some bigger plays downfield.

They've had big plays available downfield all season.  WRs running open; Josh hasn't done his part on those chances.

8 hours ago, purple haze said:

They've had big plays available downfield all season.  WRs running open; Josh hasn't done his part on those chances.

They've had some chances for the deep ball that he did not connect on. Most were his fault, some were not. Having a consistently good running game and a back that is a big play threat every time he gets the ball creates different opportunities than just dropping back and trying to hit the deep ball. A good play action game can open up a passing game and give Allen opportunities for big plays downfield that do not necessarily mean throwing it 50 yards.

• Like (+1) 1

This game plan won’t work against team with an offensive pulse. You can’t run the ball constantly against passing teams like KC, Pats, or Baltimore and expect to stay in the games. Our defense is good but usually won’t hold those teams under 20-24. The reason the run worked was because of Singletary and McKenzie being in the lineup a lot. Gore doesn’t produce any outside run or cut back fear so teams just stay on their gaps and let him get his 3-4 yard gains. Gore had at least half a dozen runs this year for 15 yards that Singletary would have broken for at least 30 and probably would have scored on a few.  Those chunk plays change the game. With Gore they don’t exist. I like Frank but he isn’t even converting goal line and short yardage which I figured would be his specialty. He is part of the problem with the run game. 

32 minutes ago, Locomark said:

This game plan won’t work against team with an offensive pulse. You can’t run the ball constantly against passing teams like KC, Pats, or Baltimore and expect to stay in the games. Our defense is good but usually won’t hold those teams under 20-24. The reason the run worked was because of Singletary and McKenzie being in the lineup a lot. Gore doesn’t produce any outside run or cut back fear so teams just stay on their gaps and let him get his 3-4 yard gains. Gore had at least half a dozen runs this year for 15 yards that Singletary would have broken for at least 30 and probably would have scored on a few.  Those chunk plays change the game. With Gore they don’t exist. I like Frank but he isn’t even converting goal line and short yardage which I figured would be his specialty. He is part of the problem with the run game. 

I think that’s overstating it.  He had one ineffective game against a great front four - and it also looked to me that he may have been wearing the wrong cleats.  Gore almost always falls forward and he also punishes the defense a bit which you need, especially when you’re trying to close out a lead.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

I think I’m gonna bite the bullet and subscribe. 

which is better? Athletic or BN? 

Those are my 2 choices. 

BN is only $1 for the 1st month. I would do that, and decide if you want to keep it

athletic is great, highly recommend - especially if you have other sports teams you follow because it covers them all 

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's possible that I was incorrect in my condemnation of the Devin Singletary pick.  This may be the one Bills 21st century RB draft pick that finally works out.  Motor has proven that he needs to be ridden hard and put away wet.  He's a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball.  Rarely do you see a rookie RB with the patience to set up blocks for maximum gain.  And when it's not there, get as many yards forward as possible.  Eric Wood made a comment that 2nd and 6 opens up the playbook, whereas 2nd and 12 does not (as a recently departed RB who loved to run backwards did all too often).  Motor gives us everything we've been missing at RB.  Hope he's here for a long time.

• Like (+1) 1

Big plays off PA don't necessarily have to be bombs down the field..  We just need to suck the linebackers in and hit someone with speed across the middle of the field, then let the WR do the rest.  

Edited by SCBills

On 11/6/2019 at 9:59 PM, Dopey said:

They're running the ball at an avg of 28.5 times a game. And passing at just over 32 times a game. Removing the teams that haven't had a bye yet, there's only 5 teams with more rush attempts. Not arguing, but I think they have been running the ball. I would like to see Singletary get the ball more often, but I'm pretty sure they were easing him back into the game plan after the hamstring issue. The Athletic saying they have been primarily a passing team isn't correct in my view. Their lowest number of rushing attempts was 20, against the the Eagles. We were down that game and playing catch up. Also, those 4th qtr. comebacks were probably due to more passing than runs. Just my take.

Yup.

We are indeed running the ball 55.42% of the time, but that's a lot. Ninth-highest rate in the league and running just two percent more would put us at 4th. If they mean that we pass more than we run, so does everyone but three teams.

On 11/7/2019 at 1:09 AM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Its worth at least following his twitter. For what its worth, hearing your comments caused me to think: are we talking about the same guy? In my mind, that is the farthest from the way I would describe his work. Also, the fact that he gets so much affirmation from players on twitter about how he is correctly analyzing play calls, assignments, etc. tells me he knows what he is talking about. 

With respect to the Rams, there was an article written recently about why they are failing. It had to do with comments made by Pats after the Super bowl that they were easy to stop once they found a way to work around McVay calling in the plays after they lined up. 

That article was really written more about the Super Bowl. And the fact that using that scheme may have resulted in making Goff unable to be independent.

If that were all the problem, the Rams would just run a hurry-up and get every play off before the audio cut out. Get lined up early enough and you don't give the D time to make those scheme changes late. If you're lined up with 20 seconds or more left, they have to either switch too early to cut McVay out or defend in their first arrangement.

That may well not have helped but it sure isn't all the problem at this point.

EDIT:  Here's a nice bit from an article on this topic, posted by Logic.

"Goff’s late-season struggles from 2018 have bled into this year as the cushy QB surroundings McVay’s offense provided last season have deteriorated. The Rams’ ruthless efficiency on first down has largely disappeared, and, faced with more obvious passing situations, Goff has had issues as a dropback passer. He’s completing just 61.6 percent of his dropback passes, which ranks 17th among qualified QBs. The Rams have also gone from having one of the best offensive lines in football to one of the worst. Goff has been pressured on 130 dropbacks through eight games this fall, which ranks fifth among qualified QBs; last year, that number was 197 for the entire season."

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/11/5/20941743/nfl-young-quarterback-evaluation-gardner-minshew-baker-mayfield-mitchell-trubisky

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That article was really written more about the Super Bowl. And the fact that using that scheme may have resulted in making Goff unable to be independent.

If that were all the problem, the Rams would just run a hurry-up and get every play off before the audio cut out. Get lined up early enough and you don't give the D time to make those scheme changes late. If you're lined up with 20 seconds or more left, they have to either switch too early to cut McVay out or defend in their first arrangement.

That may well not have helped but it sure isn't all the problem at this point.

EDIT:  Here's a nice bit from an article on this topic, posted by Logic.

"Goff’s late-season struggles from 2018 have bled into this year as the cushy QB surroundings McVay’s offense provided last season have deteriorated. The Rams’ ruthless efficiency on first down has largely disappeared, and, faced with more obvious passing situations, Goff has had issues as a dropback passer. He’s completing just 61.6 percent of his dropback passes, which ranks 17th among qualified QBs. The Rams have also gone from having one of the best offensive lines in football to one of the worst. Goff has been pressured on 130 dropbacks through eight games this fall, which ranks fifth among qualified QBs; last year, that number was 197 for the entire season."

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/11/5/20941743/nfl-young-quarterback-evaluation-gardner-minshew-baker-mayfield-mitchell-trubisky

They completely ignored the jet action receiver because they never hand him the ball, that was one of the main takeaways that I remembered.  The switch calls were genius though, like - look at the play clock as soon as it hits X, run into position to blitz, switch to a single high safety look, crowd the LOS etc..  

Either way, saints should've been there last year.. and probably would've won.

On 11/7/2019 at 4:45 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

I think that’s overstating it.  He had one ineffective game against a great front four - and it also looked to me that he may have been wearing the wrong cleats.  Gore almost always falls forward and he also punishes the defense a bit which you need, especially when you’re trying to close out a lead.

I was wondering the same thing about equipment and cleats during the Eagles game the way our guys were slipping out there.

I had already unloaded on so many other areas where we struggled, felt I should stop at the equipment guy.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/7/2019 at 3:38 AM, billsfan1959 said:

They've had some chances for the deep ball that he did not connect on. Most were his fault, some were not. Having a consistently good running game and a back that is a big play threat every time he gets the ball creates different opportunities than just dropping back and trying to hit the deep ball. A good play action game can open up a passing game and give Allen opportunities for big plays downfield that do not necessarily mean throwing it 50 yards.

All of that is true.  However, if a guy is open 50 yards downfield he needs to hit that throw.  We're not talking a 50/50 ball.  Guys have had steps on the DBs.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:57 AM, SCBills said:

Big plays off PA don't necessarily have to be bombs down the field..  We just need to suck the linebackers in and hit someone with speed across the middle of the field, then let the WR do the rest.  

yep !

they really need to stay late after class and practice  the full speed deep ball with Brown and Foster at least,  if not  Mc and Roberts as well

How did running work better than passing?

Bills running backs combined for 31 attempts for 110 yards. That's 3.55 yards per attempt.

The Bills had 160 yards passing on 20 attempts. That's an 8.0 average. 2 sacks for 14 yards makes it 146 yards on 22 plays which is 6.36 yards per play.

I don't know about your math but my math has 6.36 > 3.55

I'd rather pass more

3 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

How did running work better than passing?

Bills running backs combined for 31 attempts for 110 yards. That's 3.55 yards per attempt.

The Bills had 160 yards passing on 20 attempts. That's an 8.0 average. 2 sacks for 14 yards makes it 146 yards on 22 plays which is 6.36 yards per play.

I don't know about your math but my math has 6.36 > 3.55

I'd rather pass more

Running the ball helps everything. But thats me. Even good QB needs a running game. Without it teams will play vs the pass. 

Just now, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Running the ball helps everything. But thats me. Even good QB needs a running game. Without it teams will play vs the pass. 

I mean run the ball sometimes yeah but I'd still rather pass more. Passing has a much higher ypa than running for a reason.