The Athletic breaks down Singletary’s big day: The Bills have primarily been a passing team, until Sunday - and it worked

YoloinOhio

Bills Film Room: The play calls, blocks and angles that led to Devin Singletary’s big day

Dealing with a hamstring injury and sitting behind a future Hall of Famer in Frank Gore, Singletary had been limited through the first seven games of the season.

It wasn’t for a lack of playing time, because he has played 54.5 percent of the snaps. But most of those snaps came with him as a receiving back, a role that Gore has never really held. 

Behind the Bills’ mauling offensive line, Singletary reached double digit rushes for the first time, carrying the ball 20 times for 95 yards and a touchdown. Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll committed to the run and the Bills were able to control the line of scrimmage like they have for most of the season. Singletary did most of his damage to the outside, where he carried it seven times for 55 yards.

On the Bills’ sixth play of their first drive, Daboll sent out an 11-personnel condensed trips formation. Allen sends WR Isaiah McKenzie across the formation to force the defense to bump gaps to their left and to hold the second-level defenders, especially the force defender John Brown is blocking.

article breaks down play calls

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is written by Eric Turner at Cover1.  If you are not following his work, you are not meaningfully following the Bills from an Xs and Os/play calling/understanding the game perspective. 

No one tells me what to do. I'll tell you what--I'll not follow 'em just to spite you. 

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Just read/watched this. Great explanations of the plays and video/picture proof of how strong our O line is against a strong D front. 

I’m hoping Daboll follows this plan until someone proves they can stop it. 

It all comes down to controlling the LOS. They couldn’t do it vs the eagles but the redskins have a stout defensive front and they could. Also looking at this weekend  Cleveland is not strong up front in defending the run.

Their run game has been inconsistent most of the year and lacking a serious playmaking threat. If they continue to feature Singletary and he is able to produce the way he did on Sunday, it will really open up the play action game for Allen and, just maybe, some bigger plays downfield.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I hope the Bills roll with the OL they played last week. Ford can spell at RG if needed. 

Cleveland's defense, while possessing some very talented players (Garrett, Ward), gives up a lot of big plays.  I'd like to see the Bills activate Yeldon and operate another run-heavy game plan this week -- the Browns are 30th in run defense, giving up 141 yards/game.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Cleveland's defense, while possessing some very talented players (Garrett, Ward), gives up a lot of big plays.  I'd like to see the Bills activate Yeldon and operate another run-heavy game plan this week -- the Browns are 30th in run defense, giving up 141 yards/game.

I would also activate Duke Williams instead of Foster and try to get him 1:1 with Ward who is on the small side. Their safety situation is terrible if Damarious Randall is still out with the hamstring issue. 

• Like (+1) 3

IT would be great to see an analysis of the short yardage plays to find out what the issues are.  I know some pointed out Morse getting pushed back.  If he's an issue in short yardage, then maybe the Bills should experiment with a short yardage package -- Feliciano at C and Ford at RG?  Just a thought.

Saw a couple of those goal line run plays on Cover1 just now, and it didn't look like Morse was the issue.  Never mind.

Edited by TPS

Its funny because some people on here will argue they have been running the ball. 

I would like to see more running like this past Sunday and then more play action and would it kill them to take a deep shot with Smokey? Foster seems to have forgotten how to track the ball and I think they can use a big body like Duke more than Foster especially with Brown and McK. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Yav said:

Its funny because some people on here will argue they have been running the ball. 

I would like to see more running like this past Sunday and then more play action and would it kill them to take a deep shot with Smokey? Foster seems to have forgotten how to track the ball and I think they can use a big body like Duke more than Foster especially with Brown and McK. 

Foster just hasn’t been taking advantage of his opportunities on Sundays and I’m guessing he hasn’t been doing so in practice either which is why he’s not always active. Duke hasn’t done a ton but he’s done more than Foster. Mckenzie has made plays when he gets the Ball. Duke and McKittrick should be up this week imo. 

• Like (+1) 5