The London Chargers? In the AFC East? It could happen

YoloinOhio

52 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well from my experience it is English cooking.  I worked in a town outside RAF Molesworth and while the kipper was not bad the rest of the food was too oily except for some sandwiches at a deli counter.  I did not have a car first trip so I walked a long hike to only Chinese restaurant (take out) in area,  It looked like a menu at home so I ordered a dish I usually eat and when I saw the cook dump a large slab of lard in wok I grimaced,  When my order was done I walked out, dropped order in garbage can and walked back to my hotel and ate one of the sandwiches (more like a mini sub by bread) for dinner.

I am sure there is better cooking in some areas but every restaurant in that town I was living in on first trip there used large amount of lard and I did not want a diet more suitable for a lineman.

No problem finding good food in London I assure you. Rural Cambridgeshire might be a bit more of a trial but I am pretty sure they won't get an NFL team there any time soon. 

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

My understanding is that there are no professional sports teams and no highly paid professional team-sport athletes in London. 

Right, there are no professional athlete superstars playing team sports who are from outside the UK and who actively choose to play for London-based teams. 

It is mind boggling to me that people honestly think London is a less attractive place to live for highly paid young athletes than some of the US cities that have NFL teams. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is mind boggling to me that people honestly think London is a less attractive place to live for highly paid young athletes than some of the US cities that have NFL teams. 

Whilst listening to Golic and Gang this morning, they did an exercise in which they used Goff's $24 million deal to illustrate the impact taxes would have on NFL players if a team's home base were to be London.

I may have the exact numbers slightly off, but it will still resonate.

They said that after US taxes and UK taxes, that a player with a $24 million/4-year contract would end up pocketing $4 million when all said and done.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Whilst listening to Golic and Gang this morning, they did an exercise in which they used Goff's $24 million deal to illustrate the impact taxes would have on NFL players if a team's home base were to be London.

They said that after US taxes and UK taxes, that a player with a $24 million/4-year contract would end up pocketing $4 million when all said and done.

I’m sure the nfl would figure out a way around this. 

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Lemme go out on a limb and say that they have no f**king idea what they're talking about. London is one the most notorious tax-exile locales in the developed world.  https://www.investopedia.com/articles/wealth-management/121515/top-10-european-tax-havens.asp

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Lemme go out on a limb and say that they have no f**king idea what they're talking about. London is one the most notorious tax-exile locales in the developed world.  https://www.investopedia.com/articles/wealth-management/121515/top-10-european-tax-havens.asp

Plus, long before a decision is made the tax issue would be addressed between the two countries.  

14 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Translation:  We will be moving there as fast as humanly possible. 

Actually...Mike Florio floated today that all this London info is being put out by the Rams (via Ram reporters).  They don't want the Chargers to succeed in LA...after all, that is their market.  They are competing with the fans for PSLs.  No better way to win over the fan base than to discredit the Chargers as only being a "short-term"  LA team.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

If they were getting taxed twice, sure. But they shouldn't be taxed twice. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

If they were getting taxed twice, sure. But they shouldn't be taxed twice. 

It sounded odd to me, too.  But he (Jason Fitz) prefaced by saying he did his research. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It sounded odd to me, too.  But he (Jason Fitz) prefaced by saying he did his research. 

If the prices in London were cheaper than in Buffalo to see a game - would you root for them? I mean it's only a 6 hour flight and might be quicker than your drive into Buffalo? Just curious

Edited by Reed83HOF

For the record if someone wants to send me to work in Europe for a few years on a several million dollar salary per year, I'm in!  :beer:

My friends just lived in Barcelona for the last three years (working for an American company in their Euro outpost), they said it was the best thing they every did...

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

If the prices in London were cheaper than in Buffalo to see a game - would you root for them? I mean it's only a 6 hour flight and might be quicker than your drive into Buffalo? Just curious

I'm actually going to move in with @GunnerBill and become a soccer fan.

• Haha (+1) 1