The London Chargers? In the AFC East? It could happen

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

How many comp picks would they get per year?

Well, that's the thing. Comp picks land half way between London (home) and the west coast (the general conference locale), so tight around Buffalo. We deserve a break! 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Well, that's the thing. Comp picks land half way between London (home) and the west coast (the general conference locale), so tight around Buffalo. We deserve a break! 

Speculation is great on possible division realignments but it as realistic as fantasy or madden football.

4 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Does the league really believe players would sign up to play for a team located in London? 

1) living on a different continent let alone another country.

2) the travel the London players would have to make (imagine flying from London for s game IN San Francisco/Los Angeles/Seattle)

3) Zero fan base at all. Lack of knowledge of the sport among the fans.

i think they’d be overpaying for less value just to get guys to play there, as well as being stuck with not having premier players interested in signing with them. I could see it going as far as draft eligible players telling the London team not to pick them bc the player would hold out if they were selected by London. 

3) is not true. 

As for would players refuse to sign for a London team.... maybe. But London is one of the greatest places to live in the world. If players can put up with living in Green Bay and Cleveland I struggle to understand why they would be so outraged by London. 

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As for would players refuse to sign for a London team.... maybe. But London is one of the greatest places to live in the world. If players can put up with living in Green Bay and Cleveland I struggle to understand why they would be so outraged by London. 

It truly is, but it isn't just a question of living in London.

It is a question of living there while having to work in the US, which would take up a good portion of your away game's week, and have quite an impact on your body.

In addition, the demographic that would rightly judge London as a great place to live is not the same as NFL free agents.

I did a (then) New Jersey Nets charter there, and they didn't like going there to play at all.

Edited by sherpa

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The mouth on that guy!

I hope he enjoys 50,000 opposing fans (if he's lucky) cheer against his team next year.  The only way the LA two team experiment was going to work was if the Rams and Raiders moved there.  Raiders fans travel well.  Chargers were the one's who should've moved to Vegas.

On 11/5/2019 at 3:35 AM, Dan Darragh said:

Move them to the AFC East then move the Bills to the AFC North with natural rivals Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Cincinnati can move to the west where they'd play against KC.

Location-wise, would actually make more sense to move Buffalo to Afc north with Pitt, Cle, and Cin... and then Baltimore to the Afc East. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

3) is not true. 

Untrue and amazingly ironic.

• Like (+1) 1

All of a Bills division rivalries are stale with the team’s 20 year streak of not winning 10 games, the dominance of the pats and sustained poor To mediocre play of Miami and the Jets.  No better time to reshuffle than now but in no way would I want London.  Lake Erie division would be fun. The league will not touch important rivalries. That’s why Dallas stays in the NFC east. 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

3) is not true. 

Well from my experience it is English cooking.  I worked in a town outside RAF Molesworth and while the kipper was not bad the rest of the food was too oily except for some sandwiches at a deli counter.  I did not have a car first trip so I walked a long hike to only Chinese restaurant (take out) in area,  It looked like a menu at home so I ordered a dish I usually eat and when I saw the cook dump a large slab of lard in wok I grimaced,  When my order was done I walked out, dropped order in garbage can and walked back to my hotel and ate one of the sandwiches (more like a mini sub by bread) for dinner.

I am sure there is better cooking in some areas but every restaurant in that town I was living in on first trip there used large amount of lard and I did not want a diet more suitable for a lineman.

10 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Bills should be in a division with Steelers, Bengals, and Browns. Baltimore should be in the East with Patriots, Jets, London. South should be Miami, Colts, Titans, Jags. West should be Houston, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Denver

isnt the general accepted story/rumor that the Bills were pegged to make that move in 2002, but Ralph Wilson nixed it due to the ever-so-captivating Miami "rivalry"?

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

3) is not true. 

My understanding is that there are no professional sports teams and no highly paid professional team-sport athletes in London. 

21 hours ago, peterpan said:

If I was a player, I'd outright refuse to play for the London team.  I could see many other players doing the same. 

Mexico City?? How will it play over in the media when a star players kid gets kidnapped? 

If this happens those two teams will be permanent expansion teams.  They'll only be able to get players with no other options. 

Right, there are no professional athlete superstars playing team sports who are from outside the UK and who actively choose to play for London-based teams. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Whites Bay said:

99.9% true.  But there are a couple of flights that leave the East Coast at 8:00-ish in the morning and arrive in London about 8:00-ish at night.  It's actually an almost sane feeling to get off the rig, clear customs, head for the airport hotel (a.k.a. "bar") and go to bed at a normal time.  You're so wiped out by the jet lag that you get a decent night of sleep and wake up in the morning when the rest of the country does.

This doesn't work for the West Coast, however.  That's where the system would break down.  I know these guys are tough, young athletes, but it would just F**K with their metabolisms.  Vegas would rightly have them as dogs every time they went to the West Coast.

I fly to the UK for work from NY with some frequency and it's quite easy to get an 8 am flight out of JFK. I suffer no jet lag as a result. 

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I fly to the UK for work from NY with some frequency and it's quite easy to get an 8 am flight out of JFK. I suffer no jet lag as a result. 

The point wasn't that it can't be done.

Of course it an be done.

The military does it frequently.

The point is that those times carry significant restrictions on route and altitude, and result in more expensive, time consuming operating costs.

The airspace that is closed off to those flights is 300-400 miles wide, varies daily, is the most efficient routing, and includes any altitude from 29,000-41,000', avoids most weather, which is not all that frequent in the North Atlantic, but is much more difficult to get clearance around.

That is a very significant corridor. The sweet spot for airliners, and the same exists on the way back, but at late afternoon and early evening hours.