The London Chargers? In the AFC East? It could happen

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Would the Pats leave the division?  If so, sign me up.   It’s only a 6 hour flight.  They can suck it up.  

It's longer than six hours , closer to 7.5 or 8, depending on which leg, eastbound or westbound, and time of year.

Eastbound leg gets shorter the further into the fall you get, and the return leg gets longer.

Additionally, the system is set up as basically one way.

The flights departing the US mainland do so late in the afternoon into the evening, and the flights departing Europe leave in the morning.

The routes change every day based on winds.

Since returning teams would probably want to do that a few hours after their game, it would put them head on with all the traffic heading east, resulting in much worse route and altitude choices, further adding to flight times.

It is done, but going against that system results in significant disadvantages and route restrictions.

A London team with the requirement to play teams much further west would be greatly disadvantaged.

I imagine it would have free agent issues as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It would suck to be the division stuck with the London team.

No it wouldn't it would guarantee me one live game a year. I am writing to Roger to make this happen. :)

33 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

If there is so much interest in football in London, why don't they have their own league?

As I recall, the London Monarchs were one of the first teams in the WAFL to fold.

Because NFL Europe sucked as a product. London is ready for a team now if the NFL is ready to give it one. I still feel the Jags make more sense because they have started to build a fan base here already. 

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Kick the Pats out.

Man. Imagine being in one of those divisions where 10 and 11 wins can get you the win every time, and no team is any more scary than the Texans. We've missed out on so many good moments, fun rides, just because of the freaking division we're in. Particularly since ~2014. It's not ***** fair.

Kicking the Pats out for the Texans right now as Brady hits the end and Watson enters his prime strikes me as bad for the Bills. 

1 hour ago, Roger Goodell said:

While the league remains confident in the ability of fans in Los Angeles to embrace and support both the Rams and Chargers, we will as a matter of routine contingency planning evaluate potential mitigation efforts related to the location of various teams.

Gimme a call Rog. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, arcane said:

Kick the Pats out.

Man. Imagine being in one of those divisions where 10 and 11 wins can get you the win every time, and no team is any more scary than the Texans. We've missed out on so many good moments, fun rides, just because of the freaking division we're in. Particularly since ~2014. It's not ***** fair.

The whole NFL has missed out.

The patriots are the worst thing to ever happen to the NFL. They ruined it for everyone. The league is forever tainted because of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dma0034 said:

NFL should do a major division realignment. 

I’ve never supported a major realignmanet as has been postulated several times, but I’m coming around to the idea.  Having divisions all closest to each other could encourage more away game attendance like this year where the Bills are traveling well given not just the wins, but the geographic proximity of many opponents.

Im not saying do it, but considering wouldn’t be a bad idea.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’ve never supported a major realignmanet as has been postulated several times, but I’m coming around to the idea.  Having divisions all closest to each other could encourage more away game attendance like this year where the Bills are traveling well given not just the wins, but the geographic proximity of many opponents.

Im not saying do it, but considering wouldn’t be a bad idea.  

Four divisions, each with 8 teams.

The Pacific Division

Seahawks, Raiders, 49ers, Rams, Cardinals, Broncos, Chiefs,  Bengals (not a great fit)

The Gulf Bay Division

Cowboys, Texans, Dolphins, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Saints, Falcons, Titans (not a great fit)

The Great Lakes Division

Vikings, Packers, Bears, Lions, Bills, Steelers, Browns, Colts (not a great fit)

The Atlantic Division

Patriots, Jets, Giants, Ravens, Redskins, Eagles, London, Panthers

Scheduling:

All scheduling based on the previous years standings: you play half of your division twice (top four finishers play a home and away vs each other, bottom four finishers play a home and away vs each other) for 6 games; you play the other half of your division 1 time (bottom finisher plays top 4 teams once) for 4 games; interdivisionally, all first and second place finishers play one another, all 3rd and 4th place finishers play one another, all 5th and 6th place finishers play one another, all 7th and 8th place finishers play one another--for an additional 6 games.

Playoffs:
No separation of conferences, as there are no conferences. 12 teams make the playoffs. Each division winner gets a bye. 8 wild card teams are seeded based on record, then re-seeded for the second round. Reseeding again for the 3rd round of the playoffs, and the Super Bowl should then theoretically feature the two best teams.

Chargers in LA looks like a bad fit so far.  It looked liked Jacksonville would have been going to London.

I still prefer Chargers going back to San Diego , use the relocation fee to build new stadium there.

Simplest solution would to move us to AFC North, Texans to AFC West, and the Ravens to AFC South.

East:  Pats, Fins, Jets, Chargers

West: Chiefs, Texans, Raiders, Broncos

South: Colts, Titans, Ravens, Jaguars

North:  Bills, Steelers, Browns, Bengals

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It would suck to be the division stuck with the London team.

Move the Bills to the AFC North.

34 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Great...?  Everytime your team plays an away game at London, all your players will be coming home wearing dopey hats...those ridiculous bearskins, bowlers, top hats.

?

And monocles.

35 minutes ago, ALF said:

Chargers in LA looks like a bad fit so far.  It looked liked Jacksonville would have been going to London.

I still prefer Chargers going back to San Diego , use the relocation fee to build new stadium there.

Anyone ask Shad Khan what he thinks of this brilliant idea?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Can't Portland, Salt Lake City, Columbus or Omaha get a team?  Putting two franchises in LA is one of the dumbest ideas in the long list of dumb ideas.

Agreed.  LA couldn't support 2 teams the first time around, so I'm not sure why the NFL suits thought it would work again except that stadium boosters/developers sold owners a bill of goods.  I don't think that the cities you mentioned are viable options because they aren't big enough metros, population wise, to support an NFL franchise in this era.  I think that San Diego and St Louis are both viable, and probably Oakland as well.  Those cities didn't lose their franchises because the fans didn't support their teams but because the owners couldn't strong arm the local governments into building them new stadiums.

Edited by SoTier

I’m not one that generally supports moving teams around. It guts a fan base and a community. With that being said, the Chargers aren’t really a LA team. They have no support, no roots, and no stadium. They will always be the Rams tenant and little brother. Moving them to London would check a lot of boxes and no one would care in LA. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1