The London Chargers? In the AFC East? It could happen

YoloinOhio

The Athletic has learned through NFL sources that the possibility of the Chargers moving to London has been broached among league personnel. The Athletic also has learned that, while the team is fully committed to Los Angeles where it will move into the new $4.5 billion stadium with the Rams next year, the Chargers would at least listen if the NFL approached them about about London as a possible option.

Finally, The Athletic has learned that NFL owners are concerned enough about the Chargers’ situation in L.A., where a crowded sports market and the presence of the more established Rams has resulted in a tepid embracement of the Chargers, that they would provide the necessary support for a relocation to London if the Chargers pursue it.

In other words, London offers the Chargers and the NFL an immediate and rare opportunity to fix a glaring problem in a way that checks off multiple boxes, both for the franchise and the league.

The Chargers would move into a viable venue — likely the NFL-ready Tottenham Hotspur Stadium — that would offer all the perks and monetary benefits necessary to remain financially competitive with the other 31 NFL teams. And they would have the region and market all to themselves to cultivate a fanbase.

Should the Chargers pursue the move, the NFL could help build the team’s bridge to London by transferring the $650 million relocation fee it still must pay for the L.A. move to a London relocation. The Chargers also could switch divisions with the Houston Texans — the Chargers to the AFC South and the Texans to the AFC West — or perhaps the league could move the Chargers to the AFC East, Miami Dolphins to the AFC South and Texans to the AFC West.

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

NFL should do a major division realignment. 

Really it doesnt affect my game day experience. I would have a hard time just deciding to loathe a new team that easily. Also having the Bills moved from AFCE to a diff division would really kill alot of my (short term) interest in the sport.

Hmmm...you mean the suits in NYC never saw a tepid reaction to the LA Chargers before the relocation of tearing out San Diego’s heart? Color me simultaneously shocked and awed! 

Of further note, since it’s out there, we all know it won’t stop with London. Mexico will prolly get a franchise, continental Europe...the NFL commish will basically become a new Bond villain taking over the world one TV market at a time...

Who knew EJ Manuel would be such a trailblazer—he already pulled off the feat of being the 1st QB to lose a game in 3 different countries, before it would become a normal deal! :P

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Hmmm...you mean the suits in NYC never saw a tepid reaction to the LA Chargers before the relocation of tearing out San Diego’s heart? Color me simultaneously shocked and awed! 

While the league remains confident in the ability of fans in Los Angeles to embrace and support both the Rams and Chargers, we will as a matter of routine contingency planning evaluate potential mitigation efforts related to the location of various teams.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Kick the Pats out.

Man. Imagine being in one of those divisions where 10 and 11 wins can get you the win every time, and no team is any more scary than the Texans. We've missed out on so many good moments, fun rides, just because of the freaking division we're in. Particularly since ~2014. It's not ***** fair.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 2