Buffalo Bills Might Be Most Flawed 6-2 Team You’ve Ever Seen

TwistofFate

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Think Baltimore will see that and adjusts, such as Jackson's read option going through the A or B gap?  That could be a problem. Also depends on changes McD makes with the rush D scheme.

Probably...I just feel very strongly that this defense will be able to handle an offense like Baltimore's. 

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Think Baltimore will see that and adjusts, such as Jackson's read option going through the A or B gap?  That could be a problem. Also depends on changes McD makes with the rush D scheme.

I don't think it's so easy to send the read-option through the A or B gap, but I will admit I don't watch college football much and maybe I don't understand the read-option well enough.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think it's so easy to send the read-option through the A or B gap, but I will admit I don't watch college football much and maybe I don't understand the read-option well enough.

I’m with you, there.

I have to wonder, who is the backup QB for the Ravens? They will need him eventually. Can he run the same offense? Or anything similar? They seem VERY dependent upon one guy who can only do that for so long. But it IS fun to watch! 

On 11/4/2019 at 5:25 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

Lamar Jackson is kicking Josh Allen's ass so far this season.

QBR

Jackson - 70.9 (5th)

Allen - 36.9 (28th)

Adjusted Net Yards per Pass Attempt

Jackson - 6.79 (13th)

Allen - 5.38 (25th)

Passer Rating

Jackson - 95.4 (14th)

Allen - 82.9 (28th)

Rushing Yards per game

Jackson - 79.6 (9th)

Allen - 30.9 (50th)

Rushing Yards per attempt

Jackson - 6.4 (1st)

Allen - 4.0 (35th)

Allen 35th in rushing yards per attempt? Compared to who RBs? 50th in rushing yards per game? These stats are trash. Jackson is #1, Washington is #2 and Allen is close behind Washington at #3. 

34 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Gonna be part of a 3 teamer w Pitt, Seattle

I like Pittsburgh to cover but the 49ers d-line scares me from that game.  I also think Seattle's overrated.

Side note.  I bet the Bucs at +5.5 last weekend at Seattle and the idiot Seattle kicker missed a 40 freaking yarder to send it into overtime where of course the Seahawks score a touchdown in OT to win by six.

3 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Maybe... Jackson does have a better passer rating, more passing yards per game, more TDs, fewer INTs, fewer fumbles, and a higher completion percentage.  And he has thrown for 300 yards and 5 TDs in a single game.

He also has pretty comparable passing stats to Karpernick and Taylor during their first year or so with Greg Roman. Soooo maybe the love fest should wait a bit and see how this plays out over time. 

On 11/4/2019 at 7:17 PM, BillsFanForReal said:

Josh Allen wasn't "held" to 160 yards. He could've easily had more, but didn't due to play calling. Maybe these reporters should watch the games. 

No, the post is accurate. The stats don't lie. There were plenty of opportunities that weren't taken advantage of whether it was a drop from a wr or a bad play by josh. Stop making excuses for the offense. They are what they are until they prove us wrong.

Edited by Rocbillsfan1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/4/2019 at 7:18 PM, GoBills808 said:

Of all the reasons why the Bills are a flawed team, Cole Beasley's production is so far down on the list I can't even fathom the rationale behind turning that kindergarten doodle of an article into a post.

Yeah - He played less in this game as they made a commitment to running.  Used more TEs etc.  

17 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

No, the post is accurate. The stats don't lie. There were plenty of opportunities that weren't taken advantage of whether it was a drop from a wr or a bad play by josh. Stop making accuses for the offense. They are what they are until they prove us wrong.

When you only throw it 20 times and win by 15, it is kind of misleading to say a QB was "held" to anything though. 

27 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

No, the post is accurate. The stats don't lie. There were plenty of opportunities that weren't taken advantage of whether it was a drop from a wr or a bad play by josh. Stop making accuses for the offense. They are what they are until they prove us wrong.

It may just be me, but to me "held" implies that either the opponent took away opportunities for passes, or that long passes continually fell incomplete and short passes were stuffed for little gain.  

Tieing threads together, you can tell something about which is happening from the box score by looking at the number of pass vs rush attempts, the completion percentage, and the YPA both rushing and passing as well as who is rushing.

In this case, there are 20 pass attempts (22 with sacks), 39 rush attempts, and 2 sacks.  The bulk of the rush attempts went to the RB, which says the rushing is not trying to pass with Josh scrambling to save the day and getting scored as a rush attempt.  Completion percentage is 70% with 8 ypa, which usually says that short passes are going for good gains and some long passes are being completed.  Rush attempts average 3.1 ypa, which is not great, but a closer look shows it's bimodal: Singletary was gaining 9.5 ypa, while Gore 1.4 ypa.

My conclusion without looking at the film, just at the box score, would be that the Bills chose to focus on the run game and were quite successful rushing the ball with Singletary as the primary back.  Gore was used in short yardage and/or was unsuccessful.  When the Bills did pass, they were successful with 70% completions and 8 ypa.

I did look at the film of course, and that seems to back me up.  Now of course, Josh had a few more passes that could have racked up more yards if they were perchance a tad more accurate or if the WR had managed to haul 'em in, and there was an egregious DPI that was not called.  But those would have "iced" an already successful passing adjunct to a rush-centric game plan.

No holding occurred, except on said egregious DPI on John Brown.

The Eagles game would be an example of "held to 169 yds passing".  We were clearly depending upon the pass with 38 pass attempts (adding in 4 sacks) to 20 rush attempts.  Passes were broken up, and when they were completed they were stuffed (47% completion, 5 ypa)

Just my opinion as well as taking a chance to show what a non-fantasy stats geek takes from the box score.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

When you only throw it 20 times and win by 15, it is kind of misleading to say a QB was "held" to anything though. 

Brady and Montana were often accused of this, well, a few more completions than that....

32 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I too think we should stop making accuses for the offense. 

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Maybe... Jackson does have a better passer rating, more passing yards per game, more TDs, fewer INTs, fewer fumbles, and a higher completion percentage.  And he has thrown for 300 yards and 5 TDs in a single game.

Maybe because teams are scared to death of his running ability which opens up passing opportunities. There are only so many players on the field. The only reason Jackson had so many touchdowns in the Dolphins game is because they refused put put their safety's deep which allowed for long passes. Reduce his running capabilities and see what happens.