Buffalo Bills Might Be Most Flawed 6-2 Team You’ve Ever Seen

TwistofFate

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I think the offense is a product of McDermott more than Daboll. 

Guy wants to to sit on leads instead of going for the dagger. How many times have we kneeled it instead of trying to get more points before halftime with time remaining and TOs? 

I agree in part. That is a large factor in the conservative nature of the offense. However, it doesn’t explain the lack of identity, or ridiculous play calling decisions. Daboll has a tendency of trying to outsmart himself. I saw his philosophy compared to Mike Martz on this forum by others, and I agree. He’s over complicating things, as opposed to doing what makes sense. He called a better game on Sunday, but there were still some ludicrous red zone play calls. The type of calls that result in losses against better opponents. 

44 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Ah yes - "cherry-picked". ? Because there are so many passing categories that Allen just dominates over Jackson.

Again, what’s your point here? That Jackson is a better QB than Allen? So the F what? It’s nothing to be so insecure about. But if it bothers you that much perhaps you need a change? 

11 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’d feel far more confident about our ability to improve if I had any belief in Daboll. Sadly, the more I see of him the less I believe, and I’m not convinced this offense can improve much with him calling it. 

I'm kind of there myself.  I know McDermott and Allen himself express a lot of belief.  But I spend too much time going "wtf?" and "huh?"

• Like (+1) 1

I'd like to know what the critics of our 6-2 record thought our record would be before the season started. I have a feeling none of them thought we would be 6-2 at this point. So if the Bills are beating out every expectation, what is with all the complaining?

28 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Cry me a freakin' river. 

Bills fans want the Bills to be GREAT.

They want Allen to be GREAT.

And ultimately, they want to see see their team win the Super Bowl. 

Until those things happen, Bills fans are going to tell it like it is.

In the meantime, the creampuffs better find their safe spaces.

Nonsense.

Those fans aren't "telling it like it is." They're moaning and bitching like six year-old girls who didn't make the final five at one of those horrible kids beauty pageants.

These fans don't want the Bills to be great. They whine and kvetch that the Bills aren't great NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW and they hold their ears and don't listen when people talk sense to them about how things take time. They're the creampuffs.

• Like (+1) 2

The only “cream puffs” I see around here are those who are so afraid that Allen may not be as good as Jackson or other young QBs that they have to keep trotting out irrelevant stats as a way of expressing that fear. Pitiful. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’d feel far more confident about our ability to improve if I had any belief in Daboll. Sadly, the more I see of him the less I believe, and I’m not convinced this offense can improve much with him calling it. 

The DC and the OC especially are traditionally the scapegoats for unsatisfied fans. And what is actually happening is that sometimes the coordinator is in fact at fault but probably half the time or more the actual problem is the players not performing well enough.

Fans don't want to say bad things about the players and particularly the young QB because let's face it, identifying and whining relentlessly about an easily defined scapegoat that fans don't have much of an emotional tie to is a great deal more satisfying than facing up to the fact that the players have a long way to go, and that it might take a good deal more time for things to get cleaned up ... or the players simply might not be good enough.

I don't know if that's you, but it's most of the people on here attacking Daboll. He's an easy target and looking deeper requires thought, discipline and a commitment to a long process of improving and hard work. And the painful understanding that sometimes the team just isn't good enough.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'd like to know what the critics of our 6-2 record thought our record would be before the season started. I have a feeling none of them thought we would be 6-2 at this point. So if the Bills are beating out every expectation, what is with all the complaining?

Cause they are wrong and doesn't fit the narrative they created.  So, just spin it as hard as they will until it does even though the W/L record doesn't support it. 

No-one can fathom that this team can actually get a lot better by season end and make a huge push. They just want to hang on to what we done in past years under completely different ownership, FO and players.

Edited by Real McCoy

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm kind of there myself.  I know McDermott and Allen himself express a lot of belief.  But I spend too much time going "wtf?" and "huh?"

Exactly, I don’t claim to completely understand the intricacies of an NFL offense, but I’m simply left in shock too often over random play calling that defies all logic. As Bills fans, we’ve all seen plenty of bad football with teams that lack talent. I’ve seen teams that can’t score points, but I didn’t spend half the game wondering why such a play ever happened in the first place. It’s becoming difficult to grade what we have on offense because of it, and Allen’s growth is also tough to gage. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sounds like we agree far more than we disagree.  I think the roster may be better than average but the OL hasn't gelled yet and it seems as if they're not always on the same page (the protections, the WR, and JA).  We agree that we're missing a piece at WR and that our TE play is poor - Smith's blocking abilities are offset by his horrible propensity for penalties, Knox drops too many balls, and Kroft appears to have borrowed Singletary's Masking Cloak.

I'll be up front, I was aghast when we drafted Josh.  I had watched a lot of film, the combine, the pro day and I felt he had fatal gaps in his ability to hit the short and intermediate throws which were still evident last season.  So I am thrilled with what I see this year.  He has taken huge huge steps in his ability to "hit the bunnies", to throw with anticipation, and to move around the pocket.  But I  think in working hard on that, either he made a change in technique that messed up his long throws, or he just didn't practice them as much so they're rusty.  And they're a lower percent of the throws in the game, so I'm "wait and see" on that.

I think part of the issue with the long ball, outside of Josh missing them, is that the Bills don't really have someone who can go up and compete for a contest a ball.  Brown appears to be a WR who can catch in stride and make in internal adjustment to the ball.  I don't think Beasley has the talent to compete for deep contested balls.  Perhaps Duke, but we haven't seen it nor the opportunity to be honest.  For example, the interception Josh threw in the NE game deep to Brown in the endzone was on the money but the DB simply was there and went up and took the ball where Brown was waiting for it to land in his mits. For some WRs, that could be considered a 50/50 ball.   I do wonder if the coaches are teaching him to put more air under the ball and let the WR run under it as compared to throwing it more directly, because that's how the last few have looked and he is uncorking them too far.  

I dont think anyone is proclaiming them Superbowl favorites.  At the same time they would give anyone a game.  Say what you will about McDermott.  He has his own formula to winning football games.  You may not like it, the media may not like it, but the results are there.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The only “cream puffs” I see around here are those who are so afraid that Allen may not be as good as Jackson or other young QBs that they have to keep trotting out irrelevant stats as a way of expressing that fear. Pitiful. 

Which of course in itself nonsense

maybe Qb x is better the. Josh right now that does not mean it’s going to be that way in the future or even later this season

josh Allen was this super raw prospect with a incredible ceiling and as long as we are winning while he works to achieve that ceiling WHAT ARE PPL COMPLAINING BOUT

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

On fire. Personally, I don't really care how good Jackson looks relative to Allen. Jackson looks really good, but I'm really only concerned with Allen.

What I find hypocritical is that it's perfectly acceptable to criticize everyone BUT Allen. The receivers, the line, the OC, the HEAD COACH. Everyone involved in the offense.

But if you point out some issues with Allen, THEN you're a cream puff or a negative nelly or whatever. That's inconsistent logic. You're basically just complaining about something else and calling others out for what they choose to critique.

Everything needs to get better offensively INCLUDING Josh Allen. Right now, it's not good enough.

I like what I see in the the grand scheme of things. The HC can win close games. The team plays for the coach, etc. But if the offense, including Allen, doesn't significantly improve, we've got some real limitations.

This last game was the first in which I totally fault Daboll. I thought Allen was ready to sling it around; he looked poised and confident. Missed a few throws, but whatever. That was a game they should have let him air it out.

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I think part of the issue with the long ball, outside of Josh missing them, is that the Bills don't really have someone who can go up and compete for a contest a ball.  Brown appears to be a WR who can catch in stride and make in internal adjustment to the ball.  I don't think Beasley has the talent to compete for deep contested balls.  Perhaps Duke, but we haven't seen it nor the opportunity to be honest.  For example, the interception Josh threw in the NE game deep to Brown in the endzone was on the money but the DB simply was there and went up and took the ball where Brown was waiting for it to land in his mits. For some WRs, that could be considered a 50/50 ball.   I do wonder if the coaches are teaching him to put more air under the ball and let the WR run under it as compared to throwing it more directly, because that's how the last few have looked and he is uncorking them too far.  

I disagree.

We've seen plenty of long balls this season where the WR had simply run past the CB and was open. And Josh missed long. Fighting for 50/50 balls may be required on some plays, but there have been plenty of long misses this year and most are simply bad throws.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

maybe Qb x is better the. Josh right now that does not mean it’s going to be that way in the future or even later this season

josh Allen was this super raw prospect with a incredible ceiling and as long as we are winning while he works to achieve that ceiling WHAT ARE PPL COMPLAINING BOUT

I don’t think people realize just how raw he was nor do they appreciate the circumvented path he took to get here. The fact he was even in a position to be drafted is remarkable, let alone becoming the 7th overall pick. 

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We agree on most of this, John.

Yup. How can people complain about play calling when we won and scored enough points to win most games? And yup, Allen could easily improve. Or not. But it certainly could happen and is still a very reasonable possibility so early in his career.

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

The DC and the OC especially are traditionally the scapegoats for unsatisfied fans. And what is actually happening is that sometimes the coordinator is in fact at fault but probably half the time or more the actual problem is the players not performing well enough.

Fans don't want to say bad things about the players and particularly the young QB because let's face it, identifying and whining relentlessly about an easily defined scapegoat that fans don't have much of an emotional tie to is a great deal more satisfying than facing up to the fact that the players have a long way to go, and that it might take a good deal more time for things to get cleaned up ... or the players simply might not be good enough.

I don't know if that's you, but it's most of the people on here attacking Daboll. He's an easy target and looking deeper requires thought, discipline and a commitment to a long process of improving and hard work. And the painful understanding that sometimes the team just isn't good enough.

Great points, and I’m guilty of blaming OC’s and DC’s in the past. I’m simply skeptical about Daboll because his previous body of work is less than stellar, and he makes too many mind numbing decisions without running an offense with an identity. I do agree that players need to improve, and Allen has yet to prove he’s the guy. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I don’t think people realize just how raw he was nor do they appreciate the circumvented path he took to get here. The fact he was even in a position to be drafted is remarkable, let alone becoming the 7th overall pick. 

I also Think people just don’t understand that every QBs path is different end it doesn’t follow a cookie cutter path of success as long is Josh continues to make plays to win games and learns from his mistakes and continues to develop his game and doesn’t start regressing we are in a good position

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I disagree.

We've seen plenty of long balls this season where the WR had simply run past the CB and was open. And Josh missed long. Fighting for 50/50 balls may be required on some plays, but there have been plenty of long misses this year and most are simply bad throws.

Thus my last point where his throws seem to have a lot more air under them and he is OVERTHROWING them and missing them, and YES BAD THROWS.   My point on the 50/50 balls is: the Bills in my opinion, don't have the player on the roster who can do it, therefore there aren't really any throws right now in the playbook that say hey go fight for this ball or try and draw a PI.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine