Buffalo Bills Might Be Most Flawed 6-2 Team You’ve Ever Seen

TwistofFate

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

John Brown has been solid.

That was my point. We have guys that are "solid" but to be a championship team, you need guys that take over games. I'm surprised the Bills weren't more active for a wideout because Allen needs a guy that he can throw the ball up to. If that long ball is a little short or contested, who on the team currently has shown an ability to go up and get it, consistently? From the play calling and Allen's very few shots downfield, I'm going to guess the coaching staff and Allen don't think they have that guy.

And just to clarify in this thread, I love the Bills. I am in no way being negative, even if you don't agree with some of my opinions. My feeling this year though is man, we are one or two pieces away from consistently competing every year.To return to thinking who's going to beat us, rather than who can we beat.

The Bill's are a flawed 6-2 team.  There is not a flawless AFC team.  What I like about the team is that they haven't played their best football yet.  They are still growing.  The goal is to peak in January and February.  The Cheifs will be chasing there September offensive output all year. The Patriots defense will be compared to their fast start all year.  They are not going to get multiple turnovers every game.  

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Lamar threw for 163 yards last night and everyone is slobbering all over him. 143 in the loss to the Seahawks. 161 and 3 picks against the Steelers. It's just funny to me the opposite reactions to similar performances by Jackson and Allen on teams that are both 6-2. Jackson is the next coming of Jesus Christ and Allen is a bust yet both are dual threat QBs, Allen being the better passer, Jackson the better runner.

Cause Josh Allen is playing catch up to Lamar Jackson right now. Lamar's record alone since starting.. it ain't a secret why Lamar's getting more love than JA

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm happy with 6-2.  very happy.  there's flaws, i get it, but there's also progress.  grind out wins any way you can and get to the playoffs.  

that's exactly right.  The Bills of the last two decades would have found a way to lose at least one of the 6 games that we've ended up winning so far.

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Cry me a freakin' river. 

Bills wants want the Bills to be GREAT. They want Allen to be GREAT. And ultimately, they want to see see their team win the Super Bowl. 

Until those things happen, Bills fans are going to tell it like it is.

In the meantime, the creampuffs better find their safe spaces.

As you float down your freakin' river o' tears munching creampuffs, permit me to point out that there is, in fact, a difference between "tell it like it is" and being unremittingly, overthetop negative.

"Tell it like it is" would include pointing out that at times, Allen fails to see shots he could take as far as reasonable passes, and fails to hit the shots he could take accurately enough.  If he did both, his passing production would be higher.  It would include pointing out that Allen started the season throwing some dumb picks and that he needs better ball security when he runs.

Unremittingly, overthetop negative would include "Allen is Trash", "Turnover machine", "completely inaccurate" etc etc.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nah, nah, nah. 

Most of the fan base loves him.  Some love his competitiveness, his swag, his willingness to 'cowboy up' and shoulder all blame but share praise - but are reserving judgement as a QB because we want to see another step in field vision and offensive production.  (I'd be one of those).  Most people are rational in seeing that he didn't have the supporting pieces in place last year.  I'm not sure we're "below average" offensively overall on roster talent but it's a fair critique that we got a lot of "fresh meat" struggling to get on the same page in a complicated offensive system and that hurts us at times, and we have no standouts or stars - no Kelce, no Hill, no Cooper, no Zeke.

A vocal minority are ...well, I'd have to warn myself if I said it, so I won't say it.  Let's just call it "flinging", and I'll let you imagine what.  Unfortunately they're quite vocal.  You don't even see the worst of it.

There's absolutely nothing to personally dislike about Josh Allen nor would any real Bills fan want him to fail.

If I'm calling it honestly going back to draft day, I'd have to say his floor has risen dramatically and his ceiling has fallen. A guy with his skill set has got to be completing more of the deep shots. It's not rational to blame the receivers every single time. There's something missing and I don't know that it's fixable. I would prefer to see him taking more shots, slinging it around, all of that. We're collectively blaming Daboll now and he does deserve a lion's share of the blame. Didn't like the hire at the time and don't like it now. But I don't think a coordinator change is going to solve all of Josh's woes.

He's a solid quarterback and his he does quite a few really good things from the position. At this moment, I believe his flaws will ultimately prevent him from becoming elite. Time will tell on that. He's gonna be here for awhile so the only thing they can do is build around his strengths. If that means ditching Daboll, so be it.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

that's exactly right.  The Bills of the last two decades would have found a way to lose at least one of the 6 games that we've ended up winning so far.

oh no doubt.  again, we all know there's a long way to go, but going to the playoffs twice in three years, (potentially) for this team is big.  there's such a fear of losing the first game in the playoffs, but just get there first. 

Edited by teef
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Big C said:

And yet, we had a very solid gameplan in that playoff game and had every chance to win that game. We held the Jags to 10 points... who then went into Pittsburgh and put up over 40. We didn't play complementary football, as our offensive roster was still less than stellar, but the coaching staff prepared like a playoff team and it was a hard fought game. Not unlike the game against new England this year. I don't think we are perfect, but I will not concede anything before we play the games.

It’s just tough because you need offense to win playoff games. During the McD years we usually have a solid defensive game plan, but you need to score. Typically playoff team comes equipped with offense that can score points. Our offense is below average, and regardless of the D, what playoff team are we beating when we can’t score? 

I’m simply enjoying the ride to the playoffs. We are likely playoff bound, and after all the drought years that feels great. It’s just disheartening to see so little improvement being made on the offensive side of the ball. Our fate as a one and done playoff team feels sealed at this point without improvement, and to personally that takes away some of the suspense of the season. 

15 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Cry me a freakin' river. 

Bills fans want the Bills to be GREAT.

They want Allen to be GREAT.

And ultimately, they want to see see their team win the Super Bowl. 

Until those things happen, Bills fans are going to tell it like it is.

In the meantime, the creampuffs better find their safe spaces.

I personally think you would be happy if they were having a losing season as crazy as that sounds

Edited by John from Riverside

38 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

My point is I don't live in a bubble.   I can't go outside and chit chat with my neighbors about buffalo's win, because the majority support PA teams. 

Buffalo's games are not broadcast locally here unless its a prime time game.

The majority of the information that people get around here come from NFL network ESPN.  

The narrative is we only have this record because of the subpar teams we've faced. 

So yes, I do care what the media says about my team.

I've reddit that there are ways to watch out of area games local networks don't televise.  Just sayin'.

I live out of the area.  If I can't stream for some reason, I listen and follow the game on NFL Gamecenter.

I also get Gamepass and watch coaches film.  If I were dedicated to being a cheapass I'd keep getting 1 week trials but my family gets it for me as a birthday present.

There is a wealth of good game info on the interwebs.  Cover1 does good breakdowns. Yards Per Pass. 

My point is, it's fairly easy to be out of area and get far better info then you ever will from ESPN or NFL Network, on ANY team.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure we're "below average" offensively overall on roster talent but it's a fair critique that we got a lot of "fresh meat" struggling to get on the same page in a complicated offensive system

I think the offense is still a work in progress from a roster standpoint in my opinion.  I believe went from poor to below average (Ok, maybe average).  I think Brown is awesome and Beasley is good at what he does.  But we are lacking that other WR to compliment them both who knows how to fight and adjust his route to make complicated passes.  Our O-line is improved but still has areas that need improvement, and we are not getting a lot of production from our TEs (drops).  Until Singletary yesterday, our RBs were getting outgained by the QB.  And we have a QB, who while has improved his short game, is struggling on the long ball and has a case of fumblitis.  (See I am a pro-Josh fan who can constructively criticize).   The "Process" has us moving in the right direction.  Most people had the Bills winning 6 games all year and nowhere near the playoffs.  If things continue down the current trajectory, the Bills have have a lot of mullah to improve an average roster that just made the playoffs (hopefully).

9 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The Bill's are a flawed 6-2 team.  There is not a flawless AFC team.  What I like about the team is that they haven't played their best football yet.  They are still growing.  The goal is to peak in January and February.  The Cheifs will be chasing there September offensive output all year. The Patriots defense will be compared to their fast start all year.  They are not going to get multiple turnovers every game.  

I’d feel far more confident about our ability to improve if I had any belief in Daboll. Sadly, the more I see of him the less I believe, and I’m not convinced this offense can improve much with him calling it. 

2 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/curtisrush/2019/11/03/buffalo-bills-might-be-most-flawed-6-2-team-youve-ever-seen/amp/

select quotes:

The Buffalo Bills might be the most flawed 6-2 team you’ve ever seen on an NFL field.

The Bills are off to their best start since 1993, but there is no euphoria among the players or coaching staff. And people are still asking: Are the Bills as good as their record indicates? 

After allowing 218 rushing yards in last week’s 31-13 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, the Bills gave up 127 yards on the ground to the Redskins, with most of the big gains coming from veteran Adrian Peterson, who rolled up 101 yards on just 10 carries in the first half for an average of better than 10 yards a carry.

The Bills tightened things up in the second half.

It’s not as if the offense has figured things out because Allen has now gone two straight games throwing for fewer than 200 yards. Against the Eagles, Allen threw for 169 yards and against the Redskins he was held to 160 yards in the air.

But Cole Beasley seems to be less of a factor all the time, although his role is being masked because he caught a TD pass for the third straight game, which is the first time that has happened in Buffalo since Charles Clay in 2016.

Beasley continues to run great routes and he’s a great possession receiver. But against the Redskins, Beasley was targeted only twice and caught both passes for only 13 yards – his lowest totals of the season. He has not caught more than four passes in a game since the loss to New England in Week 4, when he hauled in seven passes for 75 yards.

This is not why you signed the former Dallas Cowboys receiver to a four-year, $29 million contract in the off-season. Unless he is hiding an injury, Beasley has to be more involved in the offense.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/curtisrush/2019/11/03/buffalo-bills-might-be-most-flawed-6-2-team-youve-ever-seen/amp/

There have been division winners with 7-8-1 and 7-9 records.  

Edited by Bob in STL

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As you float down your freakin' river o' tears munching creampuffs, permit me to point out that there is, in fact, a difference between "tell it like it is" and being unremittingly, overthetop negative.

"Tell it like it is" would include pointing out that at times, Allen fails to see shots he could take as far as reasonable passes, and fails to hit the shots he could take accurately enough.  If he did both, his passing production would be higher.  It would include pointing out that Allen started the season throwing some dumb picks and that he needs better ball security when he runs.

Unremittingly, overthetop negative would include "Allen is Trash", "Turnover machine", "completely inaccurate" etc etc.

Not being negative at all. I've never said any any of those things.

Negative is declaring that Allen sucks, he's never going to be good, Bills are going 6-10, etc.

All I have done is explain how lacking the offense has been and if it doesn't get better then they will not be taking advantage of the historically easy 2019 schedule and everyone excited about the 6-2 will be crying in their pillows when we finish 8-8.

My hope is that a light will turn on for Allen and the entire offense and the team finishes 12-4 and maybe even wins a playoff game.

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I think the offense is still a work in progress from a roster standpoint in my opinion.  I believe went from poor to below average (Ok, maybe average).  I think Brown is awesome and Beasley is good at what he does.  But we are lacking that other WR to compliment them both who knows how to fight and adjust his route to make complicated passes.  Our O-line is improved but still has areas that need improvement, and we are not getting a lot of production from our TEs (drops).  Until Singletary yesterday, our RBs were getting outgained by the QB.  And we have a QB, who while has improved his short game, is struggling on the long ball and has a case of fumblitis.  (See I am a pro-Josh fan who can constructively criticize).   The "Process" has us moving in the right direction.  Most people had the Bills winning 6 games all year and nowhere near the playoffs.  If things continue down the current trajectory, the Bills have have a lot of mullah to improve an average roster that just made the playoffs (hopefully).

Sounds like we agree far more than we disagree.  I think the roster may be better than average but the OL hasn't gelled yet and it seems as if they're not always on the same page (the protections, the WR, and JA).  We agree that we're missing a piece at WR and that our TE play is poor - Smith's blocking abilities are offset by his horrible propensity for penalties, Knox drops too many balls, and Kroft appears to have borrowed Singletary's Masking Cloak.

I'll be up front, I was aghast when we drafted Josh.  I had watched a lot of film, the combine, the pro day and I felt he had fatal gaps in his ability to hit the short and intermediate throws which were still evident last season.  So I am thrilled with what I see this year.  He has taken huge huge steps in his ability to "hit the bunnies", to throw with anticipation, and to move around the pocket.  But I  think in working hard on that, either he made a change in technique that messed up his long throws, or he just didn't practice them as much so they're rusty.  And they're a lower percent of the throws in the game, so I'm "wait and see" on that.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh, please. Clickbait. "Most flawed"? Total clickbait.

More flawed than the 2015 Falcons who started 6-1 and finished at 8-8? Absolute crap.

Yeah, there are a lot of questions with this team. And yes they've benefitted from their schedule. But that headline and a lot of the article is just attention-seeking behavior.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Not being negative at all. I've never said any any of those things.

Negative is declaring that Allen sucks, he's never going to be good, Bills are going 6-10, etc.

All I have done is explain how lacking the offense has been and if it doesn't get better then they will not be taking advantage of the historically easy 2019 schedule and everyone excited about the 6-2 will be crying in their pillows when we finish 8-8.

My hope is that a light will turn on for Allen and the entire offense and the team finishes 12-4 and maybe even wins a playoff game.

We agree then.  My point is that all of those things do get said, and us "creampuffs" react to it.