Buffalo Bills Might Be Most Flawed 6-2 Team You’ve Ever Seen

TwistofFate

7 minutes ago, Luka said:

Lamar threw for 163 yards last night and everyone is slobbering all over him. 143 in the loss to the Seahawks. 161 and 3 picks against the Steelers. It's just funny to me the opposite reactions to similar performances by Jackson and Allen on teams that are both 6-2. Jackson is the next coming of Jesus Christ and Allen is a bust yet both are dual threat QBs, Allen being the better passer, Jackson the better runner.

Lamar Jackson is kicking Josh Allen's ass so far this season.

QBR

Jackson - 70.9 (5th)

Allen - 36.9 (28th)

Adjusted Net Yards per Pass Attempt

Jackson - 6.79 (13th)

Allen - 5.38 (25th)

Passer Rating

Jackson - 95.4 (14th)

Allen - 82.9 (28th)

Rushing Yards per game

Jackson - 79.6 (9th)

Allen - 30.9 (50th)

Rushing Yards per attempt

Jackson - 6.4 (1st)

Allen - 4.0 (35th)

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Luka said:

Lamar threw for 163 yards last night and everyone is slobbering all over him. 143 in the loss to the Seahawks. 161 and 3 picks against the Steelers. It's just funny to me the opposite reactions to similar performances by Jackson and Allen on teams that are both 6-2. Jackson is the next coming of Jesus Christ and Allen is a bust yet both are dual threat QBs, Allen being the better passer, Jackson the better runner.

I still like Allen’s potential, but I don’t understand  the common TBD narrative that Allen is somehow at Jackson’s level. It’s not a matter of whether Jackson is doing it with his arm or his legs, it’s the fact that he’s leading a dynamic offense. I question if Jackson’s style can ever lead a team to a Super Bowl title, but it’s absurd to compare Jackson and Allen at this point. Jackson is doing it his way, but the results are clear.

If Allen ever realizes his true potential, he could be an elite championship caliber QB. Allen has the ability to be a dominant passer, if the mental aspect of his game ever comes together. Jackson is simply a fun to watch, and can succeed in an offense built for him. I’m not convinced he will be remembered as an elite QB. However, he can win games and has been dynamic. The moment never appears too big for him. Allen has miserably failed every big test, and looks like an over amped up deer in the headlights against the Pats. Jackson has it together mentally, and never looks intimidated. That’s why Jackson is receiving so much praise, while Allen goes unnoticed. The Bills could be 7-1 and tied for the AFC East lead had we beat the Pats. If Allen played big in a victory against the Pats, maybe the media would give him credit. Until Allen gets some signature victories, there is no reason why Jackson shouldn’t be held in higher esteem. 

I think the first year I was aware of football was 1963 and I've been a diehard Bills fan all these years.  I will tell you in all sincerity that most of the teams through the years would be at best 3-5 against this same competition, and some of them would be part of the dregs with 0 or 1 wins for the year.  

This year's team has guts and toughness.  There's a reason it comes back in the fourth quarter.  They are pros who figure things out and go get the job done.

McBeane have done a great job of elevating the quality of the players across the board, especially on offense.  There are no positions where the players are particularly bad or exceptionally good.  Across the offense we have B or B+ players.  Most teams have some A+ stars but some C- players too.  The Bills formula is better.  Also the offense and defense are pretty much in balance, with the defense obviously being better.  Look at KC, with that great offense and bad defense.  That's a way to get lots of attention in the regular season and lose in the playoffs.

The challenges going forward will be the schedule -- next year they play the AFC West and NFC West so there will be many long road trips, and more good teams on the schedule; and how to elevate the overall quality of the players without breaking the spirit of the guys who are kept around.  This team is very close-knit, like the 1965 Bills were.  By 1968 the players had gotten old, there was a lot of unhappiness when veterans were let go and replaced, and Lou Saban quit for the first time.  

The message is, stop complaining, enjoy the ride, be optimistic, and look forward to an 11-5 record and the playoffs.  If lightning strikes, and it might, the Bills could actually win the AFC East and get a home game, possibly even a bye.  This week, play Cleveland and beat Cleveland.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

QBR

Jackson - 70.9 (5th)

Allen - 36.9 (28th)

Jackson - 6.79 (13th)

Allen - 5.38 (25th)

Passer Rating

Jackson - 95.4 (14th)

Allen - 82.9 (28th)

Rushing Yards per game

Jackson - 79.6 (9th)

Allen - 30.9 (50th)

Jackson - 6.4 (1st)

Allen - 4.0 (35th)

For a guy who so many TBD’ers say can’t throw the ball, those numbers vs Allen’s do say a lot. 

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I still like Allen’s potential, but I don’t understand  the common TBD narrative that Allen is somehow at Jackson’s level. It’s not a matter of whether Jackson is doing it with his arm or his legs, it’s the fact that he’s leading a dynamic offense. I question if Jackson’s style can ever lead a team to a Super Bowl title, but it’s absurd to compare Jackson and Allen at this point. Jackson is doing it his way, but the results are clear.

If Allen ever realizes his true potential, he could be an elite championship caliber QB. Allen has the ability to be a dominant passer, if the mental aspect of his game ever comes together. Jackson is simply a fun to watch, and can succeed in an offense built for him. I’m not convinced he will be remembered as an elite QB. However, he can win games and has been dynamic. The moment never appears too big for him. Allen has miserably failed every big test, and looks like an over amped up deer in the headlights against the Pats. Jackson has it together mentally, and never looks intimidated. That’s why Jackson is receiving so much praise, while Allen goes unnoticed. The Bills could be 7-1 and tied for the AFC East lead had we beat the Pats. If Allen played big in a victory against the Pats, maybe the media would give him credit. Until Allen gets some signature victories, there is no reason why Jackson shouldn’t be held in higher esteem. 

If the Bills had beat the Pats, the Bills would be 7-1 and the Pats would be 7-2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TwistofFate said:

So you don't enjoy flipping on the NFL network and hearing good things about the team you're a fan of? 

Oh, ok...must just be me. 

I live in PA.   Im surrounded by Eagles, Steelers, Cowboy and Jets fans.  

I grow tired of making excuses for a team that's 6-2.  I get more trash talk being 6-2 then I did when we were 2-6.

I want a dominant team.   I want dominant performances.   I want a dominant Qb performance, and I want it against a quality team. 

Nope - does not bother me in the least.  The media is what it is.  Where does the hype and good things get you?  Look to the Browns and the Jets  - heaped with praise this off-season.  Up and coming teams with Super Bowl aspirations- now they are the laughing stocks of the leagues.

The media is fickle and very poorly informed.  I will take exactly what we are getting - a solid growing team.  Just win baby - dominance matters next to nothing- you don’t make the playoffs by having 5 dominate wins - if you lose the other 11.

Beat the teams you play and let’s see where we end up.  The rest is meaningless.

13 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

This is what the national media thinks of us. 

Until we put together some dominant games we will continue to be marginalized. 

"Thinks of us"?

Fans are taking all of this too personally. The Bills were under the radar this off season, so the media is going through an adjustment period (as are some fans, apparently)

To me, "Flaws" means tons of penalties, dropped passes, running backs who fumble, linebackers who miss tackles, etc. While some of that is certainly happening, I would not say this kind of play is a defining characteristic of the 2019-20 Bills. They are a pretty disciplined group overall, they just don't connect on flashy bomb passes or get lots of sacks. They don't have any real superstars on offense or defense. They have a conservative coaching staff.

If those are flaws, I must be reading about football in Forbes freaking magazine. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

QBR

Jackson - 70.9 (5th)

Allen - 36.9 (28th)

Jackson - 6.79 (13th)

Allen - 5.38 (25th)

Passer Rating

Jackson - 95.4 (14th)

Allen - 82.9 (28th)

Rushing Yards per game

Jackson - 79.6 (9th)

Allen - 30.9 (50th)

Jackson - 6.4 (1st)

Allen - 4.0 (35th)

And this is relevant to what, exactly? 

Are we supposed to be intimidated by the idea that Lamar Jackson is a better QB? Not me. There is absolutely no reason to be. None. At. All. Good for Lamar. But he and his stat lines have NOTHING to do with Allen and the Bills situation. 

He’s fun to watch though. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

QBR

Jackson - 70.9 (5th)

Allen - 36.9 (28th)

Jackson - 6.79 (13th)

Allen - 5.38 (25th)

Passer Rating

Jackson - 95.4 (14th)

Allen - 82.9 (28th)

Rushing Yards per game

Jackson - 79.6 (9th)

Allen - 30.9 (50th)

Jackson - 6.4 (1st)

Allen - 4.0 (35th)

Cherry picked stats to support your OPINION. Cool story bro. And those are manipulated stats on top of it. QBR is meaningless. Adjusted net yards? How about Lamar's 17.2% of bad throws which is 7th. (Allen 11th) How about Allen being the 8th most blitzed QB compared to Jackson? (15th).

Stats without context are meaningless. Stats presented by Wayne Arnold to support a weak opinion even more so.

7 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

The results are identical. Both teams are 6-2.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

Nope - does not bother me in the least.  The media is what it is.  Where does the hype and good things get you?  Look to the Browns and the Jets  - heaped with praise this off-season.  Up and coming teams with Super Bowl aspirations- now they are the laughing stocks of the leagues.

The media is fickle and very poorly informed.  I will take exactly what we are getting - a solid growing team.  Just win baby - dominance matters next to nothing- you don’t make the playoffs by having 5 dominate wins - if you lose the other 11.

Beat the teams you play and let’s see where we end up.  The rest is meaningless.

My point is I don't live in a bubble.   I can't go outside and chit chat with my neighbors about buffalo's win, because the majority support PA teams. 

Buffalo's games are not broadcast locally here unless its a prime time game.

The majority of the information that people get around here come from NFL network ESPN.  

The narrative is we only have this record because of the subpar teams we've faced. 

So yes, I do care what the media says about my team. 

1 minute ago, Luka said:

Cherry picked stats to support your OPINION. Cool story bro. And those are manipulated stats on top of it. QBR is meaningless. Adjusted net yards? How about Lamar's 17.2% of bad throws which is 7th. (Allen 11th) How about Allen being the 8th most blitzed QB compared to Jackson? (15th).

Stats without context are meaningless. Stats presented by Wayne Arnold to support a weak opinion even more so.

You make good points. I've never seen a fanbase be so critial of their own QB who is young and has an incredible amount of potential. I really feel that a decent part of our fanbase would rather root for any one of the other QBs selected in 2018. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

Results aren’t identical when you look at who they beat. The Ravens are capable of winning in the playoffs, does anyone really believe this Bills team is? This is 2017 all over again. 

11 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

QBR

Jackson - 70.9 (5th)

Allen - 36.9 (28th)

Jackson - 6.79 (13th)

Allen - 5.38 (25th)

Passer Rating

Jackson - 95.4 (14th)

Allen - 82.9 (28th)

Rushing Yards per game

Jackson - 79.6 (9th)

Allen - 30.9 (50th)

Jackson - 6.4 (1st)

Allen - 4.0 (35th)

System designed and built around Jackson abilities

Fit Allen into Daboll system

Not taking away from Jackson.  He has improved from last season.  He has had bigger highs than Allen, but has also had the same lows.  However, a young QB is going to succeed more often when a coaching staff embraces what he can do and builds his system and offensive pieces around that as opposed to a young QB that is being trained to work in a premade system.  Both of these QBs are young in their careers.  Both of them can succeed or fail.  Way to early.  I think Mayfield was kicking everyones ass last season.  Look what happened.  That team is a mess and they are ruining that kid.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Luka said:

? 

The ravens are on a 3 game win streak and the last two opponents they've face and beaten were the Undefeated NE pats and Seahawks. 

Those two teams were dominated by the Ravens.   Those two teams have more combined wins then every team we've beaten this year. 

We are going to lose to them, and lose to them pretty badly IMO.