Amazing how the National Press Ignores the Bills

Shaw66

I dont buy into "the NFL favors big market's" deal.   It is plausible since you can argue it could be good for revenue but who is the NFL?   There are league offices that are paid for by the owners ultimately.  So to really buy into this conspiracy would mean all the owners are complicit to drive up revenue.  Owners in markets like Buffalo are just there to get beat up on by markets like Boston and NY.  I dont see it.  Refs are human and have biases.   Superstars get calls.....in all sports!   When the Bills had superstars (Kelly,Bruce) they got calls.   You could count on Bruce to browbeat the refs into holding calls week in and week out, he had the swagger, the reputation.  Brady gets calls too, he is a superstar.   The issue is the Bills have not this for decades, some fans have never seen it work out for Buffalo.

How do you explain the Jets ineptitude and the Packers consistent winning if you buy into the mass conspiracy?   

I don't think it is so much our "strength of schedule" as much as it is due to the fact that we are just barely beating weak teams.

I think that if we were whooping a$$ against those weak teams we would be the talk of the town.

HECK, while I am glad we are currently 6-2, I am convinced that each and every game left on our roster will be a challenge for us to win.

I have little faith in the current play calling and believe that IT is greatly responsible for our "struggling".

YMMV

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Not a very good 6-2 team. They’ve played two good teams (if you even want to consider Philly good) and lost. 

We've played two teams that have winning records (Pats 8-1 and Eagles 5-4) and one team that is now 1 game below .500 (Titans 4-5)

I mean, if we want to do that "played good teams?" question, the Patriots have split with 2 teams that are now 6-2 (Ravens, and us) and beaten the 4-4 Steelers.

I think the Pats are legit, but because of their long time winning record and the higher scores they rack up, they aren't getting a lot of people looking under the hood and saying "well yeah, but you're kicking sand in the face of the playground weaklings"

The Bills, on the other hand, were 6-10 last year and went 9-7 the last time they started out 5-2, so they get the "well, yeah, but" treatment.

• Like (+1) 2

On a related note about large market teams. I would make a case that even though the Bills are a small market team we do have a “stronger” fan base. I know I am biased, but Bills fans seem to continue to be die hard even if they move out of Buffalo. I know it would be impossible to gauge but any city in the US you can find a pretty serious group of Bills fans. I know a lot of casual NFL fans.  

23 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

?hmmm; homer wasn't the word I expected there...

I am.  Love the players.  I think they're being poorly coached.  I still have plenty of faith in McDermott, but I'm done with Daboll.  

Just now, Gugny said:

I am.  Love the players.  I think they're being poorly coached.  I still have plenty of faith in McDermott, but I'm done with Daboll.  

You can't necessarily play the firing and hiring OC dance with a young QB and I am not absolving McD on playing Jauron ball when we have the lead.

The optimistic me says, we are protecting Josh and working through his hero ball and poor decision issues, by going into a shell and not giving him those chances. this will help with his overall development  and the eventually the chains will come off...

The pessimistic me says we have seen this time in and time out with other coaches and Daboll hasn't exactly set the world on fire as an OC before...

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

You can't necessarily play the firing and hiring OC dance with a young QB and I am not absolving McD on playing Jauron ball when we have the lead.

The optimistic me says, we are protecting Josh and working through his hero ball and poor decision issues, by going into a shell and not giving him those chances. this will help with his overall development  and the eventually the chains will come off...

The pessimistic me says we have seen this time in and time out with other coaches and Daboll hasn't exactly set the world on fire as an OC before...

Daboll's resume is pure crap.

You can see, in production and body language, how a well-called drive affects Josh Allen.  That first drive yesterday was a thing of beauty.  Perfect play calls and nearly perfect execution.  That's when Josh gets into a groove.  Why eff that groove up by abandoning what's working?  That's what Daboll does every effing week.  And it is negatively impacting Allen, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Daboll's resume is pure crap.

You can see, in production and body language, how a well-called drive affects Josh Allen.  That first drive yesterday was a thing of beauty.  Perfect play calls and nearly perfect execution.  That's when Josh gets into a groove.  Why eff that groove up by abandoning what's working?  That's what Daboll does every effing week.  And it is negatively impacting Allen, in my opinion.

I don't disagree with this

Also, don't forget all of the same Gore up the gut plays yesterday for 1 yard - how many times do you need to run that to see it doesn't work?

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I just took a look at the stats.   Bills are 6-2, as we all know.  Bills are 3rd best in yards per game defense, behind the Pats and 49ers, and 3rd best in points per game defense, behind the 49ers and Pats, and NO ONE is talking about the Bills.  

Small market team, no sex appeal, no big-name stars, nothing that makes the Bills interesting except that their defense is great and they're winning.   That's not enough to make them worth covering, I guess.   If they beat the Browns, they're a game behind the Pats in the division, and no one is interested  

Look at our schedule.

We might end up being 9-2 and still be dismissed because "they haven't played anybody."

Frustrating, but oh well.  Patriots haven't played anybody other than the Bills or Ravens.  They got clobbered by the Ravens the way Buffalo did by the Eagles and they could have lost to the Bills if not for that ST TD and knocking Allen out of the game.

The national media is just silly.  Cowboys got smashed by the Jets.  Packers got crushed by the Chargers.  Ravens got pummeled by the Browns.

Those teams are all somehow legitimate contenders.

We're an afterthought.  And we will be for at least the rest of November in all likelihood. 

Thanksgiving in Dallas is our first real opportunity all season to show we're a "real team."  And the funny thing is we could potentially be 9-2 by that time.  If that plays out, we'll still just be considered "pretenders" if we lose that game, even at 9-3.

No one watches or cares about the Bills.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think Daboll needs a bit of overarching guidance.  Martz needed Vermeil to help give him some structure.  Gilbride needed Coughlin.

My hope is that rather than dump him and take the setback that changing a system inevitably brings, McDermott could "coach the coach" and he can improve.

His playcalling and play design can be brilliant at times.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills have been bad to mediocre for so long, it isn't a surprise the national media is skeptical.  Start beating good teams and win a playoff game, then I think we'll get some attention.  We can start by beating some combination of Pittsburgh, Baltimore, NE, and Dallas this season.

He is playing more efficiently.  He does that Buffalo can play with or beat anyone.  Buffalo had 3 turnovers and blocked punt for a TD.  They still play the Superbowl favorite to a 1 possession game.  Allen and the offense avoid turnovers that game is different.  

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Daboll needs a bit of overarching guidance.  Martz needed Vermeil to help give him some structure.  Gilbride needed Coughlin.

My hope is that rather than dump him and take the setback that changing a system inevitably brings, McDermott could "coach the coach" and he can improve.

His playcalling and play design can be brilliant at times.

Would you say that Greg Roman is doing a much better job with Baltimore than he did in Buffalo?  He didn't scheme his offense to Tyrod like he is with Jackson; I suspect this has a lot to do with John Harbaugh.  I would guess that Rex left Roman to his own devices with TT, and it wasn't until Anthony Lynn took over OC and play calling responsibilities that Tyrod and the offense became top 10 in scoring.

12 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't disagree with this

Also, don't forget all of the same Gore up the gut plays yesterday for 1 yard - how many times do you need to run that to see it doesn't work?

I'd just put that behind me.  Now it's back.  Damn you.

Edith, get me a beer, hanh?????!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The six wins that put Lombardi trophy’s in their case.

Are you seriously saying the Bills should be on the same level as the Patriots when it comes to National respect?

I hate the ***** Patriots but please, get real.

I am saying the Patriots have played ***** teams this year, too. What have you done for me lately?

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, cd1 said:

I don't think it is so much our "strength of schedule" as much as it is due to the fact that we are just barely beating weak teams.

I think that if we were whooping a$$ against those weak teams we would be the talk of the town.

HECK, while I am glad we are currently 6-2, I am convinced that each and every game left on our roster will be a challenge for us to win.

I have little faith in the current play calling and believe that IT is greatly responsible for our "struggling".

YMMV

Shaw66 expected better from you.  If the Bills were 6-2 and the 6 wins were convincing, there'd be plenty of press.  They have been in tight games into the fourth in every game vs. teams with 0,1,1,1,2 & 4 wins (oh and they missed 4 fgs in the game)....  If the Bills beat the Pats, maybe then it'd be a different story.

Also no big-name superstars making flashy plays every week. Dawson Knox's Angry Run championship was about the only memorable play so far this season, and don't nobody even know who Dawson Knox is. 

And that's kind of a legit reason to not get attention. I know if I'm going to give a rip about another team, it's because they're making the highlight reels. 

Edited by skibum

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I just took a look at the stats.   Bills are 6-2, as we all know.  Bills are 3rd best in yards per game defense, behind the Pats and 49ers, and 3rd best in points per game defense, behind the 49ers and Pats, and NO ONE is talking about the Bills.  

Small market team, no sex appeal, no big-name stars, nothing that makes the Bills interesting except that their defense is great and they're winning.   That's not enough to make them worth covering, I guess.   If they beat the Browns, they're a game behind the Pats in the division, and no one is interested  

Why does it matter what national media says? Win some playoff games and people will talk... Actually beat Cleveland, Dallas, Ravens, Patriots and people will talk.