Amazing how the National Press Ignores the Bills

Shaw66

On 11/4/2019 at 4:28 PM, Shaw66 said:

I just took a look at the stats.   Bills are 6-2, as we all know.  Bills are 3rd best in yards per game defense, behind the Pats and 49ers, and 3rd best in points per game defense, behind the 49ers and Pats, and NO ONE is talking about the Bills.  

Small market team, no sex appeal, no big-name stars, nothing that makes the Bills interesting except that their defense is great and they're winning.   That's not enough to make them worth covering, I guess.   If they beat the Browns, they're a game behind the Pats in the division, and no one is interested  

I've said this so many times over the course of the season:  the Bills most egregious sin in 2019 is that they are not a good fantasy team.

They used to sing songs about the Bears defense in the 80s.

However, in this day and age while watching a game with a large group of people you look around and see almost 90% of them are looking down at their phones, sometimes while a play is going on...and well...you kind of know your time has come and gone.

Therefore and honestly, in this day and age the Bills aren't overlooked because of their easy schedule and "sometimes" offense, they are overlooked because they don't mean anything points wise to the  "Three Lards And A Cloud Of Buds" team in their keeper league at ACME, Inc. 

...their offense does need to score more, though.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 2

Meh ... We've beaten the 0 for 2019 Bungles ... 1 win teams in the Deadskins, Jests and Dullphins ... As well as the 2 win Giants and the Titans who finally benched their QB after losing to us.

We've played two decent teams in the patriots (close game) and the Eagles (kicked our asses)

I'm happy for the wins but they aren't overly strong ones.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I've said this so many times over the course of the season:  the Bills most egregious sin in 2019 is that they are not a good fantasy team.

They used to sing songs about the Bears defense in the 80s.

However, in this day and age while watching a game with a large group of people you look around and see almost 90% of them are looking down at their phones, sometimes while a play is going on...and well...you kind of know your time has come and gone.

Therefore and honestly, in this day and age the Bills aren't overlooked because of their easy schedule and "sometimes" offense, they are overlooked because they don't mean anything points wise to the  "Three Lards And A Cloud Of Buds" team in their keeper league at ACME, Inc. 

...their offense does need to score more, though.

My fantasy team has Aaron Rodgers and Josh Allen as QB's ... Allen has beaten Rodgers pretty much every week except for Rodgers 1 big game. We need to beat the good teams now n then.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

We're not exciting.  There is no story.  We live in a clickbait society.  It's not about your record as much as it is your sexiness.  Had we beaten the Patriots?  Scrappy upstarts?  Future kings of the AFC East?  Cinderella team?  ...but we didn't.  We beat a bunch of bottom feeders.  *yawn*  There's no *story* there.  We have no all-star dominant player to fawn over.  No 300-yard passer, no 100-yard rusher.  We don't score tons of points.  So...if you're the media, where's the hook?  Why should people nationally care about this team?  The Bills just aren't sexy right now...so you're not going to hear much about them.  If the Bills want the media to stop sleeping on them...they need to stop putting them to sleep.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, The Red King said:

We're not exciting.  There is no story.  We live in a clickbait society.  It's not about your record as much as it is your sexiness.  Had we beaten the Patriots?  Scrappy upstarts?  Future kings of the AFC East?  Cinderella team?  ...but we didn't.  We beat a bunch of bottom feeders.  *yawn*  There's no *story* there.  We have no all-star dominant player to fawn over.  No 300-yard passer, no 100-yard rusher.  We don't score tons of points.  So...if you're the media, where's the hook?  Why should people nationally care about this team?  The Bills just aren't sexy right now...so you're not going to hear much about them.  If the Bills want the media to stop sleeping on them...they need to stop putting them to sleep.

All well said. 

The most exciting story of the season so far was that Dawson Knox run after the catch to the mainstream media. Otherwise, meh. 

Perhaps should the Bills win on turkey day, beat the Patriots, or Ravens they will look at Buffalo differently. Until then, squeaking out wins over bad teams isn't doing them any favors. 

5 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

All well said. 

The most exciting story of the season so far was that Dawson Knox run after the catch to the mainstream media. Otherwise, meh. 

Perhaps should the Bills win on turkey day, beat the Patriots, or Ravens they will look at Buffalo differently. Until then, squeaking out wins over bad teams isn't doing them any favors. 

That was a great RAC though. It remains the most impressive individual play of the Bills season. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/5/2019 at 6:28 AM, Shaw66 said:

I just took a look at the stats.   Bills are 6-2, as we all know.  Bills are 3rd best in yards per game defense, behind the Pats and 49ers, and 3rd best in points per game defense, behind the 49ers and Pats, and NO ONE is talking about the Bills.  

Small market team, no sex appeal, no big-name stars, nothing that makes the Bills interesting except that their defense is great and they're winning.   That's not enough to make them worth covering, I guess.   If they beat the Browns, they're a game behind the Pats in the division, and no one is interested  

I don't see what you see here.

There's the amount of interest I'd expect for a team with a likelihood of getting a wild card in a very weak conference, but unlikely to get a division title. (IMO that's fair.)

Agreed there aren't really the stars or the sex appeal either, though. That may be having a bit of an impact.

Edited by Thurman#1

I don't allow myself to get worked up over this because I actually like McD being able to keep pushing the "nobody respects us" message in the locker room.  It is kind of funny, though...even with the Pats*** loss on Sunday night I've heard several national broadcasters still making definitive statements like "the Ravens will still have to beat them in Foxboro later on."

It is correct that nobody gives the Bills a chance to win the AFC East, which will make it all the sweeter if it somehow happens.  I'm just enjoying the ride.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.patspulpit.com/2019/11/8/20954821/nfl-survey-buffalo-bills-pretenders-patriots-packers-49ers-seahawks

This is from a Pats based site 

Entering Week 10 with a 6-2 record, the Buffalo Bills are one of the surprise stories in the NFL this season. Led by a potent running attack and one of the best defenses in all of football, the team started the year in impressive fashion and has suffered only two defeats at this point — both of which coming at New Era Field: the Patriots won 16-10 in Week 4, while the Philadelphia Eagles were able to steal a 31-13 victory in Week 8.

Despite the two home losses, however, the Bills are still well on their way to earning a playoff spot for just the second time this century. They lead the AFC’s wild card race ahead of the 5-3 Indianapolis Colts and the 5-4 Oakland Raiders, and are only 1.5 games behind New England for the top spot in the division. While it will be hard to overtake the reigning world champions in the standings, Buffalo can still feel good about where it is at.

It is therefore no surprise to see the team’s fans agree. According to SB Nation’s latest FanPulse survey, 80% of participants feel that the organization is headed in the right direction. This approval rating ties the team for the seventh best in the NFL after nine weeks, and ranks four percentage points behind the Patriots. But while “Bills Mafia” is viewing the team in a positive light, not everybody agrees.  ....   (cont'd)

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 2

et tu @Shaw66 ?  Someone your age needs the validation of the "national press?"  Lose your inferiority complex. Win convincingly against what is considered to be a good team and the rest will take care of itself.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

et tu @Shaw66 ?  Someone your age needs the validation of the "national press?"  Lose your inferiority complex. Win convincingly against what is considered to be a good team and the rest will take care of itself.

I don't need national press validation BUT when I see the above FROM a Pats Pulpit .. 

Me likey !!   (Even with the NE snark)

Pete Prisco arguably one of the Bills biggest critics  (oh he still is but) has picked the Bills to WIN numerous times and cover spreads

As I said before, it's all about the clicks.  Put yourself in the mindset of a writer for, say, nfl.com.  You're not getting paid for the spirit of the game, or journalistic integrety.  You're being paid for clickable articles.  What can you write, good or bad, about the Bills that is clickable?  "Bills win another game with good defense and nothing explosive or eye-catching!".  Even teams with worse records, like the Browns and Jets, get more articles because they have big-name players on dumpster-fire teams, and people love dumpster fires!  Those articles get clicks.  It's not like it was in the past.  Viewers/readers in this day and age can choose their news.  In the past, it was offered like a three-course meals and people consumed it all.  Now, it's like a buffet and no matter how that particular side might be, not many people are gonna eat it if it doesn't catch the eye.

On 11/4/2019 at 3:32 PM, IgotBILLStopay said:

Actually a lot of them are talking about the Bills. Except they are saying the record is product of a bad schedule. In fact Terry Bradshaw called the Bills a bad team. 

I say we use that as bulletin board material and go beat up on an opponent every week. 

What they say now does not matter - only what we do in Jan / Feb.

This seems appropriate (original 1967 version)

[Chorus]
He he he he
Yeah, baby
I like it like that
You gotta believe me when I tell you
I said I like it like that
My boogaloo, I need it baby
I like it like that
I like it like that
And I want it like that
I like it like that
I got the soul, I got the thing
I got the soul, baby look at me
I like it like that
Yeah, baby
I like it like that
I like it like that

[Post-Chorus]
Stomp your feet if you think I'm neat
Clap your hands if you want some more
Stomp your feet if you think I'm neat
Clap your hands if you want some more

• Awesome! (+1) 1

There are a couple of angles to look at this...

1. We don't want the national scrutiny.  Some players may not respect us which will reflect in their game preparation against us. We have won largely ugly games with low offensive output.  Why should they respect us?  We also have an offensive unit that has not quite jelled yet.  We have an entirely new offensive line (with only LG returning from last year), entirely new WR/TE's, Shady is gone... so with time I think the offense will start clicking.

2. Statistically speaking, the Bills have a stingy defense not allowing opposing offenses to take advantage of red zone opportunities.  We are a very good team, beating the teams we should.  We are a very disciplined team too.  McDermott has the team ready and focused at all times.  So I think good teams will recognize this and have their teams prepared because we will be too.

I predict that the Bills will beat the Browns handily and Kitchens will be fired.