Amazing how the National Press Ignores the Bills

Shaw66

17 hours ago, The Red King said:

We're not exciting.  There is no story.  We live in a clickbait society.  It's not about your record as much as it is your sexiness.  Had we beaten the Patriots?  Scrappy upstarts?  Future kings of the AFC East?  Cinderella team?  ...but we didn't.  We beat a bunch of bottom feeders.  *yawn*  There's no *story* there.  We have no all-star dominant player to fawn over.  No 300-yard passer, no 100-yard rusher.  We don't score tons of points.  So...if you're the media, where's the hook?  Why should people nationally care about this team?  The Bills just aren't sexy right now...so you're not going to hear much about them.  If the Bills want the media to stop sleeping on them...they need to stop putting them to sleep.

I don't think the Bills want the media to stop sleeping on them.  I think the Bills would be totes happy to fly under the radar ....all the way to a championship game.

5 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

They're not totally ignored. They were just discussed on Get Up. Riddick's bold prediction was that we will be shut out by the Browns. So there's that.

Oooooh.  Because the Brownies defense (#20) is much better than Titans (#8) or NE (#1), who did not shut us out, I presume?

That's a whole level-up in this disrespect game.

Another lose-lose scenario this Sunday. If we win, it’s because the Browns are a train wreck and we’re still garbage. If they win, it’s the pretenders strike again. It’s irritating how sports media in general just assumes the Dolphins or Redskins simply aren’t trying or are filled with players that aren’t filled with the best players in their home towns. 

I get it: the Browns are a better story win or lose. Rubbernecking is a great American pastime. I hope for a strong Bills performance, and not another locker room rebuilding win for an opponent. If only so it makes the power rankings more annoying for the talking heads.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/4/2019 at 4:37 PM, Boatdrinks said:

Still not considered a big star for casual fans around the league. He might be the only guy on D a lot of people could name. 

Right, the casual fan. That being the fan that says, “when did the Rams move back to Los Angeles”. The casual fan also knows who Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and  JJ Watt are and not anyone else. The casual fan that switches favorite teams every two years.

Any serious fan of football knows who Tre White is. As well as many other Bills players on that defense.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

I live in the NYC Market and anytime they discuss the Bills they never think they are any good and say they haven't beaten anyone with a winning record. Id rather have no press than continue to hear that stuff, but what can you do? They need to beat Dallas/Baltimore/NE etc before anyone believes they're legit IMO

On 11/4/2019 at 5:17 PM, KayAdams said:

By focusing on the weak schedule and on the losses to NE and Philly, I think many of you are overlooking the reality of the national media bias.

If any of the more marketable franchises jumped out to a 6-2 record (regardless of the schedule) with the #3 defense, the #11 rushing attack led by an exciting rookie like Singletary and a respected vet like Gore, a constantly improving second-year first-round QB with running skills and a number of 4th-quarter comebacks already to his resume, and weeks ago had almost beat the greatest NFL dynasty ever....you don't think that team would get more hype than what the Bills are currently getting???

The bias is real and shameful. The Bills represent everything the NFL is trying to move away from: small market in the Rust Belt, cold weather, emphasis on defense and the running game, zero big-name divas on the roster, squeaky clean image (read: BORING)....

I still say....I like it like that!

6 hours ago, benderbender said:

Another lose-lose scenario this Sunday. If we win, it’s because the Browns are a train wreck and we’re still garbage. If they win, it’s the pretenders strike again. It’s irritating how sports media in general just assumes the Dolphins or Redskins simply aren’t trying or are filled with players that aren’t filled with the best players in their home towns. 

I get it: the Browns are a better story win or lose. Rubbernecking is a great American pastime. I hope for a strong Bills performance, and not another locker room rebuilding win for an opponent. If only so it makes the power rankings more annoying for the talking heads.

Again, I respectfully put it out there:

Bull @#$%.

If we win, we get the W

Go BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Truth is, the Bills are in the same boat as teams like Cleveland and Kansas City in terms of lack of interest. UNLESS your QB becomes a national figure like Mahomes and Mayfield(for some reasons other than football).

I don't think anyone will care about the Bills until/unless Allen becomes a star.

But really whatever; I cared about this stuff when I was in my 20's. At this point, I just want to see them win. Couldn't care less what people have to say or whether they "talk them up." 

Win BIG and they'll have no choice but to take notice.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Truth is, the Bills are in the same boat as teams like Cleveland and Kansas City in terms of lack of interest. UNLESS your QB becomes a national figure like Mahomes and Mayfield(for some reasons other than football).

I don't think anyone will care about the Bills until/unless Allen becomes a star.

But really whatever; I cared about this stuff when I was in my 20's. At this point, I just want to see them win. Couldn't care less what people have to say or whether they "talk them up." 

Win BIG and they'll have no choice but to take notice.

Win the same way we have been, but keep winning, and they'll have no choice but to take notice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, benderbender said:

Not necessarily, if they do it convincingly by beating them without needing some 4th quarter comeback or by a bunch of missed kicks, and Cleveland doesn't look like a complete mess who have given up, they may start to take notice. When you make the Dolphins look good and win after you let them have a lead for a a while late in the game, the 'experts' in the media aren't going to be falling all over you on how great you are.......

Edited by apuszczalowski

did the '90's bills get any media attention? I know some don't like to look back or discuss that past team era, but they had plenty of media attention when it wasn't like it is here in the 21st century, but they got it.

because they not only won, but pretty much dominated, especially at home. as an opponent back then in the playoffs, you didn't want to go through buffalo.

in the words of the legend, "when you want to be ranked and when you want to be considered as one of the top echelon teams in this era of football, to dethrone the king you got cut his head off." "you got to beat the new england patriots*, you got to beat the philadelphia eagles." 

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/hall-of-fame-de-bruce-smith-weighs-in-on-the-bills-5-2-record-through-eight-week

win. keep winning. they need to establish dominance and when they do, you'll have all the media attention you want.

until then, don't expect much.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Win the same way we have been, but keep winning, and they'll have no choice but to take notice.

For clarification, when I say win BIG, I'm talking about winning playoff games and such. I do like to analyze games, understand why, and try to determine what that portends for the future. But as far as results, couldn't care less how the Bills win; only "want" is WINNING.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Jesus. It's called strength of schedule. Do some research. 

And why do people need validation from other people for something they have no control over, which is the performance of a sports team? I'm continually dumbfounded by the blindspot people have for who this team is and how butt hurt everyone gets when the national media ignores them because they realize they're not what their record suggest. 

10 hours ago, benderbender said:

I actually think people will annoyingly jump back on the bandwagon if/when we win. We'll be 7-2 in a weird muddled AFC with another AFC notch, it's going to be hard to ignore. I'm almost liking the hate right now, it will be incredible to see the heads spin Sunday evening. 

6 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Right, the casual fan. That being the fan that says, “when did the Rams move back to Los Angeles”. The casual fan also knows who Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and  JJ Watt are and not anyone else. The casual fan that switches favorite teams every two years.

Any serious fan of football knows who Tre White is. As well as many other Bills players on that defense.

Im in NC and Motor is well known all ready. 

• Like (+1) 1