Amazing how the National Press Ignores the Bills

Shaw66

20 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I just took a look at the stats.   Bills are 6-2, as we all know.  Bills are 3rd best in yards per game defense, behind the Pats and 49ers, and 3rd best in points per game defense, behind the 49ers and Pats, and NO ONE is talking about the Bills.  

Small market team, no sex appeal, no big-name stars, nothing that makes the Bills interesting except that their defense is great and they're winning.   That's not enough to make them worth covering, I guess.   If they beat the Browns, they're a game behind the Pats in the division, and no one is interested  

What national news coverage is ignorong the bills? I mean they aren't covering them top story on the news. But i dont think they spend much time analyzing how teams are beating the Dolphins or Redskins. Cause everybody is. They talk about specific games that were entertaining and good. I would think most sports stations like ESPN and Nfl network are talking about the ravens this week.

9 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

What national news coverage is ignorong the bills? I mean they aren't covering them top story on the news. But i dont think they spend much time analyzing how teams are beating the Dolphins or Redskins. Cause everybody is. They talk about specific games that were entertaining and good. I would think most sports stations like ESPN and Nfl network are talking about the ravens this week.

again, a crack back in the Kelly Era about the weather in Buffalo during January on MNF led to a lot of unfavourable response from Bills fans...

nobody wants to risk this in the social media age

I'm totally ok with lack of press.  Buffalo got more press than ever when they were appearing in Super Bowls.  With more winning, the press time will come.  Also, they still haven't really proven anything.  Until they actually earn a playoff spot, I don't expect to see much press.  That's fine - too much distraction anyhow - lack of press helps keep focus.

10 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

I'm totally ok with lack of press.  Buffalo got more press than ever when they were appearing in Super Bowls.  With more winning, the press time will come.  Also, they still haven't really proven anything.  Until they actually earn a playoff spot, I don't expect to see much press.  That's fine - too much distraction anyhow - lack of press helps keep focus.

it was sad for the last 2 Super Bowls, the national media (and the rest of the world) wanted ANYONE ELSE but the Bills to win the AFC, so it kind of turned into a lukewarm "deal with it" campaign from Bills and fans...

16 hours ago, TigerJ said:

If Buffalo beats Cleveland, the national headlines will be how the Browns have reached a new low this season.  Buffalo's next chance to force some positive notice will be by winning on Thanksgiving Day versus Dallas, provided they win their games leading up to Dallas. 

I agree with you.  I also think it's fine.  I'd take a win over positive media spin, anyday!

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's because because our offense isn't that good.  Offense is talked about more unless you have an elite defense which we don't have.

They think we can't score enough to do damage.

This is truth.

Yeah, I’ll def take 6-2 at the halfway mark, but man, we are boring on both sides of the ball. Especially offense, there is zero “identity”.

9 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

This is truth.

Yeah, I’ll def take 6-2 at the halfway mark, but man, we are boring on both sides of the ball. Especially offense, there is zero “identity”.

would we rather they play better and lose a few hard-fought battles of equality?

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

would we rather they play better and lose a few hard-fought battles of equality?

I do think there is truth to the fact that bigger win margins would make us more exciting to the media given our history. 

That said, I swear people will complain to complain. Wasn’t long ago we couldn’t win games. Now we’re winning and we still B word. I could just see us winning every game from here to a Super Bowl victory by one point and people would be saying “yes, we finally won a championship after all this time but I don’t think I can celebrate because there weren’t enough style points to the wins”. 

When the Red Sox broke the curse, did the fans care how many points they won the games by? Holy *****. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bongo said:

That said, I swear people will complain to complain. Wasn’t long ago we couldn’t win games. Now we’re winning and we still B word. I could just see us winning every game from here to a Super Bowl victory by one point and people would be saying “yes, we finally won a championship after all this time but I don’t think I can celebrate because there weren’t enough style points to the wins”. 

LOL!!

football is tough

did your coach ever pat you on the head and say your effort was enough?

3 minutes ago, Bongo said:

I do think there is truth to the fact that bigger win margins would make us more exciting to the media given our history. 

When the Red Sox broke the curse, did the fans care how many points they won the games by? Holy *****. 

The fact that you and others are even making comparisons to championship caliber teams of the past, even if only to make a point, just shows out of touch this fanbase is with the realities of this team.

It's not just about the amount of points or W/L record, it's HOW THEY ACTUALLY PLAY ON THE FIELD!

For real people, believe it or not, people do watch our games sometimes and what they see isn't convincing. Our QB is young and doesn't do any one thing particularly well, though he does fumble a lot & throw a good amount of picks. At the same time, he does just enough in the 4th quarter to help the team win, which is all the fans care about but not the rest of the world who watches.

When the offense just kind of meanders through a couple quarters each game (especially the 3rd quarter where they often do nothing), and when they're doing this against some of the worst opponents in the league, it's hard to consider this team a genuine threat to anybody.

And now that the defense has shown they can't stop the run, even when they specifically gameplan to stop the run, how can anyone be surprised we're not getting showered with praise? The media IS talking about us, plenty actually...just not all sunshine & rainbows like the fans want. I live in Texas, and I hear Bills talk almost daily whereas I never used to hear it during the drought.

Beat someone relevant, play ONE great game against ANYONE, hell, play a good full 4 quarters against anyone... Then whine about not getting enough praise. Don't go 3 quarters letting the Dolphins get the best of you AT HOME, or don't require a TD in the last 2 mins against the currently 0-8 Bengals at HOME to come from behind & escape with a victory and expect the national press to anoint you as world beaters.
Also, front page of ESPN.com right now - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27973780/bills-mafia-blends-ketchup-mustard-nfl-season-shot-hope 

Bills coverage, even if it is about the fanbase.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

It's not just about ..........W/L record

Really? Ok, maybe not 100%. But if we were to finish the season 14-2, but winning every game in the final couple of seconds, I’ll be pretty happy. Don’t expect it but would be pretty happy nonetheless.

Am I to assume you wouldn’t be? 

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

The Bills' run defense is starting to give me some pause. It was one thing to get gashed by the Eagles last week, who unleashed a multitude of looks and personnel in the backfield and had a dominant day from that powerful offensive line. It's quite another to let Adrian Peterson and the woeful Skins line gut you over 100 yards in the first half alone, at home, on a day when Skins QB Dwayne Haskins was making his NFL debut and wasn't exactly going to be pressing your secondary deep. Let's just say I am a little concerned.

In the past two weeks the Bills – built on defense, let's be honest – have allowed 345 yards rushing (!) on 64 carries, for a scary average of 5.4 per carry. That's not going to get it done. The Bills are not catching the Patriots, and it's all about wild card positioning for them. This November schedule should be a time to make things happen, and it very well may still, with the Browns, Dolphins and Broncos up next. But two of those teams can move the ball on the ground pretty well, and this defense needs to remain stout because I don't see Josh Allen winning a lot of games coming from behind given where he is at this point.

11 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

The fact that you and others are even making comparisons to championship caliber teams of the past, even if only to make a point, just shows out of touch this fanbase is with the realities of this team.

It's not just about the amount of points or W/L record, it's HOW THEY ACTUALLY PLAY ON THE FIELD!

For real people, believe it or not, people do watch our games sometimes and what they see isn't convincing. Our QB is young and doesn't do any one thing particularly well, though he does fumble a lot & throw a good amount of picks. At the same time, he does just enough in the 4th quarter to help the team win, which is all the fans care about but not the rest of the world who watches.

When the offense just kind of meanders through a couple quarters each game (especially the 3rd quarter where they often do nothing), and when they're doing this against some of the worst opponents in the league, it's hard to consider this team a genuine threat to anybody.

And now that the defense has shown they can't stop the run, even when they specifically gameplan to stop the run, how can anyone be surprised we're not getting showered with praise? The media IS talking about us, plenty actually...just not all sunshine & rainbows like the fans want. I live in Texas, and I hear Bills talk almost daily whereas I never used to hear it during the drought.

Beat someone relevant, play ONE great game against ANYONE, hell, play a good full 4 quarters against anyone... Then whine about not getting enough praise. Don't go 3 quarters letting the Dolphins get the best of you AT HOME, or don't require a TD in the last 2 mins against the currently 0-8 Bengals at HOME to come from behind & escape with a victory and expect the national press to anoint you as world beaters.
Also, front page of ESPN.com right now - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27973780/bills-mafia-blends-ketchup-mustard-nfl-season-shot-hope 

Bills coverage, even if it is about the fanbase.

#truth ... Let's play "Make Believe" ... everybody close their eyes and pretend you are a fan of another team and you're about to face the Bills this weekend.  What would YOU think about the Bills?  I'd venture a guess that it might be something like "Ya know, they have a good record, but hell, they played a bunch of garbage teams, and the good teams they played?  They lost those games ... these guys aren't that great - we're gonna beat them"

1 minute ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

#truth ... Let's play "Make Believe" ... everybody close their eyes and pretend you are a fan of another team and you're about to face the Bills this weekend.  What would YOU think about the Bills?  I'd venture a guess that it might be something like "Ya know, they have a good record, but hell, they played a bunch of garbage teams, and the good teams they played?  They lost those games ... these guys aren't that great - we're gonna beat them"

And you'd have been wrong 75% of the time

3 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

just show up, you never know

the Raptors had the perfect storm of basically every good Warrior getting injured