Amazing how the National Press Ignores the Bills

Shaw66

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Fair questions.   I don't get any info from the national media.  I get it here, and follow links.  

And I don't really care about the coverage all that much.   What is most important is that it tells me not to believe what they tell us about the teams they DO talk about.   For example, I mentioned this earlier in the thread and no one has talked about it.   There have been stories in recent weeks (not after the Ravens game) about the Patriots having the best defense of all time.   People in the national media were actually saying that.   The Patriots have played the same teams the Bills have, the Bills defense has done as well against those teams as the Pats have, so logic would say that the Bills have one of the best defenses of all time, too.  No one believes that about the Bills (I don't either), but the national media was actually selling it about the Patriots.   

Simply put, the quality of the crap the national media give us about pro football is crappy.  Crappy crap.  It's just talk, and it has very little to do with reality.   They talk about Brady like he's God, and his passer rating 1s 18th in the league, one ahead of Gardiner Minshew.   There's simply no objectivity at all in the reporting, and yet people watch it and believe it.  

You shouldn't care what the coverage is like.  We watch the same games they do, what makes anyone smarter than anyone else? Re the Patriots, the defense was putting up historic numbers, until last night, and deserved the praise. They are the defending champs and were just wiping out opposing offenses. Brady may not have the QBR anymore, but he's still great.

I don't watch any national sports shows/pregame shows..., i've been watching football for 50 years, I don't need anyone to tell me what I'm watching.

Just enjoy the games, relax during the week and get ready for the next Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well they should be on the same level so far as the caliber of their defense.   The Bills and Pats have played the same teams and put up the same defensive numbers; Belichick is praised as a genius and no one even mentions the Bills.   I can make the arguments against the Bills as well as you, but when the stats are so compelling, the Bills should at least be in the conversation among rational people.   The sports media want to be respected as journalists, but they're just a big hype machine.  

The Bills have the Cowboys, Ravens and Patriots left on their schedule. All on the road. Win one or two and people will start talking about the Bills.

Make it to the playoffs and none of the respect talk matters where wins are the ultimate stat.

By focusing on the weak schedule and on the losses to NE and Philly, I think many of you are overlooking the reality of the national media bias.

If any of the more marketable franchises jumped out to a 6-2 record (regardless of the schedule) with the #3 defense, the #11 rushing attack led by an exciting rookie like Singletary and a respected vet like Gore, a constantly improving second-year first-round QB with running skills and a number of 4th-quarter comebacks already to his resume, and weeks ago had almost beat the greatest NFL dynasty ever....you don't think that team would get more hype than what the Bills are currently getting???

The bias is real and shameful. The Bills represent everything the NFL is trying to move away from: small market in the Rust Belt, cold weather, emphasis on defense and the running game, zero big-name divas on the roster, squeaky clean image (read: BORING)....

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Listening to the Dan Patrick Show this AM and he was bashing Josh Allen BIG TIME.  Said he is not a starting caliber NFL QB and that he is holding the Buffalo Offense back.  One of the other guys seemed to stick up for Josh and blamed Dabols play calling but Dan wasn't having it.  

I heard the same thing.  DP said that he actually watched the entire Bills/Redskins game because of his interest in how Haskins would do.  DP said:

*  That Allen was a bad QB and not a starter in the NFL and at best was a career backup.

*  One of DP's minions defended Allen and blamed the offensive design saying it looked like it was "25 years old".

But this got me to thinking.  Regardless of where you are on the Allen front would any knowledgeable person watching yesterdays game conclude Allen sucked and shouldn't be a starter?  He had a QB rating of 111; completed 70% of his throws; had one passing & one rushing TD, NO TO's and made several big time throws. 

The only takeaway on Allen from watching yesterday's game was that the Bills were mimicking the Vikings from 10 days earlier and Allen was simply managing the game in the same way Cousins did in the Vikes 19 - 9 home game win over the Redskins.

As others have noted DP hasn't watched any other Bills game this year (or last year I suspect).  So IMO this fool is basing his "opinion" on what the analytics guys and some high profile Allen critics are saying.  Because nothing in Allen's game yesterday could support a claim that he was at best a backup QB in the NFL.

Defense has gotten gashed (run game) in every game since returning from the bye; we're talking about the Dolphins, Eagles and Redskins.

We barely beat the Jets.  We barely beat the Dolphins.  We got our asses handed to us by Philly.

Our best game this season was in a loss to the Patriots.

Our QB fumbles too much and can't come close with a long ball.

Our receivers lead the league in drops.

Our OC consistently calls plays that make no sense.

Our HC has no idea when to throw the red flag and has only been right once all season.

We have no deep threat at WR.

If you ask me, the Bills are LUCKY the national press is ignoring them.  They're being KIND.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You thought they looked incompetent against the Pats?

Completely. The Pats went ultra-conservative once Brady threw that pick. Our only chance to win was to cause turnover & they took away the opportunity for us to get a takeaway, also we play them later in the year. They got a road win without having to do or show much. 

And while we're on the topic of National Sports Coverage of the Bills we have to stop worrying about it.  If the Bills win it will come.

Now I know that's easier said then done as we listen intently to these morons bather on in the hope that they might actually mention the Bills or one of our players.  But in the end the Bills might get 2 minutes in a 3 hr show!

But when you listen to these guys the first thing you begin to understand is just how stupid they are.  They're the ultimate front runners, flavor of the moment "experts". 

Of all of the national guys I like Cowherd the best because he will at least admit he was wrong.  But does he know football better then the typical, committed SOBER NFL fan?  Hell no.  All year he's been saying that the NFC North is the TOUGHEST division in football.  Then yesterday we watch them lose all 4 games!  

The truth is that these guys aren't "experts" but simply sports entertainers.  So the only time I get pissed at them is when they stop being entertaining.  You know like Dan Patrick most of the week.  I check out DP on Monday to get his NFL take but then don't listen again until the next Monday because DP is boring.

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Offensively and special teams, yes. They were hot garbage in 2 out of 3 phases of the game.  

A few weeks later and that seems to be the story on this team. 

It's the rare incompetent team that can come within a Matt-Barkley-to-TJ-Yeldon-5-yard-floater winner against the bestest team ever.

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Defense has gotten gashed (run game) in every game since returning from the bye; we're talking about the Dolphins, Eagles and Redskins.

We barely beat the Jets.  We barely beat the Dolphins.  We got our asses handed to us by Philly.

Our HC has no idea when to throw the red flag and has only been right once all season.

If you ask me, the Bills are LUCKY the national press is ignoring them.  They're being KIND.

But other than that though, we’re doing ok, right? ?

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Not sure if sarcastic but I agree. 

Just now, Gugny said:

We are 6-2.  I'm happy.  But we need to be better on O, D, ST ... and especially coaching.

I’m just joshin’ ya and agree with most everything you wrote. Hopefully they get it together the rest of the way. Still waiting to have this mythical complete game for all 60 minutes everyone keeps talking about. Shoot, even most of the bad Bills teams over the past 20 years had one of those games where they looked great for a day. Still waiting on this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am still waiting for even the local media to even mention the Sabres for once. Its been all Bills all the time. The Sabres are doing just what the Bills are doing. Beating the teams they are supposed to beat. I thought Buffalo was a hockey town. Its just like every other city in the US. Hockey doesn't matter