Amazing how the National Press Ignores the Bills

Shaw66

I just took a look at the stats.   Bills are 6-2, as we all know.  Bills are 3rd best in yards per game defense, behind the Pats and 49ers, and 3rd best in points per game defense, behind the 49ers and Pats, and NO ONE is talking about the Bills.  

Small market team, no sex appeal, no big-name stars, nothing that makes the Bills interesting except that their defense is great and they're winning.   That's not enough to make them worth covering, I guess.   If they beat the Browns, they're a game behind the Pats in the division, and no one is interested  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I just took a look at the stats.   Bills are 6-2, as we all know.  Bills are 3rd best in yards per game defense, behind the Pats and 49ers, and 3rd best in points per game defense, behind the 49ers and Pats, and NO ONE is talking about the Bills.  

Small market team, no sex appeal, no big-name stars, nothing that makes the Bills interesting except that their defense is great and they're winning.   That's not enough to make them worth covering, I guess.   If they beat the Browns, they're a game behind the Pats in the division, and no one is interested  

I’m in the belief that the media AND the league favor large market teams. I’d love to be able to do a study on market size and calls that go in favor of teams (both missed and calls that shouldn’t have been made... think Patriots “just give it to them” or Pats seemingly getting more PI calls than anyone else).

Media is pretty easy to see. If you’ve got a big star or you’re in a big market with more fans and money $$ then  they’re going to talk about you so you tune it 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Actually a lot of them are talking about the Bills. Except they are saying the record is product of a bad schedule. In fact Terry Bradshaw called the Bills a bad team. 

I say we use that as bulletin board material and go beat up on an opponent every week. 

What they say now does not matter - only what we do in Jan / Feb.

• Like (+1) 1

I was somewhat surprised that King, who now and then will throw us a bone in his FMIA column, mentioned us exactly zilch this AM, but he did have a blurb about that Washington team being epically bad...oh well, let's keep sneaking up on people for as long as possible, so we may not get their best shot on game day until we are already set for the playoffs? Plus it's good to have our guys feeling like they need to play with a prove-it chip on their shoulders. :)

• Like (+1) 2

Bills are 6-2 without doing anything exceptionally well. They don’t get lots of sacks, takeaways or have big stars on defense. The offense is lackluster and doesn’t score much. No signature win on the schedule, so while they’re winning they’re still seen as just a team in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

It’s the same reason to me we aren’t favored to beat the 2-6 Browns really.  

We haven’t made anyone believe we can beat a competent team.  

Because we haven't done it yet. When your best win is against a TEN team that has since benched its QB its not going to impress many. All 5 other wins are teams that have won 5 games combined and 3 of those 5 were versus each other...

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Bills are 6-2 without doing anything exceptionally well. They don’t get lots of sacks, takeaways or have big stars on defense. The offense is lackluster and doesn’t score much. No signature win on the schedule, so while they’re winning they’re still seen as just a team in the league. 

Tre White says hello....

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I was somewhat surprised that King, who now and then will throw us a bone in his FMIA column, mentioned us exactly zilch this AM, but he did have a blurb about that Washington team being epically bad...oh well, let's keep sneaking up on people for as long as possible, so we may not get their best shot on game day until we are already set for the playoffs? Plus it's good to have our guys feeling like they need to play with a prove-it chip on their shoulders. :)

Breer discussed the game a little (not much) in his MMQB column on SI. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I’m in the belief that the media AND the league favor large market teams. I’d love to be able to do a study on market size and calls that go in favor of teams (both missed and calls that shouldn’t have been made... think Patriots “just give it to them” or Pats seemingly getting more PI calls than anyone else).

Media is pretty easy to see. If you’ve got a big star or you’re in a big market with more fans and money $$ then  they’re going to talk about you so you tune it 

Of course they favor the large markets.   They get more viewers out of large markets than small markets, they sell more jerseys and caps and beer in large markets.  So they cover the large markets.   

Earlier today I was looking at ESPN.com's football home page.  Big Saquon Barkley story.   Really?  Jets on there.   It's obvious.  

I agree with others who say it's okay if we keep sneaking up on people.   The Bills are learning how to play well in the NFL.   Learning week by week.  If they learn fast enough, they'll make noise soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Because we haven't done it yet. When your best win is against a TEN team that has since benched its QB its not going to impress many. All 5 other wins are teams that have won 5 games combined and 3 of those 5 were versus each other...

That's really amazing.  

I heard today that beginning with Andy Dalton in 2011, the Browns are 0-5 in games against QBs starting their first NFL game.  

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

No one cares because we haven’t beaten a winning team yet...I understand it’s because of our schedule but it still holds true...until we do so, we are just pretenders...

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Because we don't have a signature win.

No doubt, 6-2 is an impressive record but what one of those six wins are you going to point at and demand we get respect nationally from?

After all the seasons of futility, this organization would need more than just one signature win to reclaim respectibility.

Edited by Seven-N-Nine

8 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Because we don't have a signature win.

No doubt, 6-2 is an impressive record but what one of those six wins are you going to point at and demand we get respect nationally from?

...agree bud.......so you ignore it and just play your next opponent.....not much else to do and besides, why bother or care?............

• Like (+1) 1