Hats off to the Hammers Lot Tailgaters

Wanted to say thanks to whoever took care of my son and his roomate in the Hammers Lot on Sunday.

he  goes to school at UB and this was his first game going with just a buddy.   They went in true teenage style:  no gloves, just a hoodie, forgot to bring debit cards (had a little cash), basically zero planning, they just bought tickets late the night before and got up and drove to Orchard Park.   They knew enough to go to Hammers Lot and watch the mustard/ketchup fly and walk around to meet people.

My son called me this morning and before he talked about the game he said " Dad, there were the nicest people there tailgating, they hooked us up with free ribs which were amazing, and this guy Pizza Joe, he cooks these pizza's in a file cabinet, you can't believe it.  And someone shared their wings with us, they had blue cheese in a paint roller tray blah blah...."   

He went on to tell me that they were kind of screwed up with their seat section and weren't in their ticketed seats up in the 300's but everyone was really helpful and cool and they ended up sitting with this nice family who made room for them etc.

Anyway it made me really proud of the Buffalo fans and how great they are.   Teenagers need more independence these days, and experiences like that help them to feel confident and get a sense of community that's hard to get sometimes.   (it's also good that they froze their asses off when the sun wasn't out, so there's lesson #2).   

Hats off to the Mafia, thanks for representing.....

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Wanted to say thanks to whoever took care of my son and his roomate in the Hammers Lot on Sunday.

he  goes to school at UB and this was his first game going with just a buddy.   They went in true teenage style:  no gloves, just a hoodie, forgot to bring debit cards (had a little cash), basically zero planning, they just bought tickets late the night before and got up and drove to Orchard Park.   They knew enough to go to Hammers Lot and watch the mustard/ketchup fly and walk around to meet people.

My son called me this morning and before he talked about the game he said " Dad, there were the nicest people there tailgating, they hooked us up with free ribs which were amazing, and this guy Pizza Joe, he cooks these pizza's in a file cabinet, you can't believe it.  And someone shared their wings with us, they had blue cheese in a paint roller tray blah blah...."   

He went on to tell me that they were kind of screwed up with their seat section and weren't in their ticketed seats up in the 300's but everyone was really helpful and cool and they ended up sitting with this nice family who made room for them etc.

Anyway it made me really proud of the Buffalo fans and how great they are.   Teenagers need more independence these days, and experiences like that help them to feel confident and get a sense of community that's hard to get sometimes.   (it's also good that they froze their asses off when the sun wasn't out, so there's lesson #2).   

A sense of community is not hard to find around buffalo. The majority of people really are kind and caring and would help a complete stranger with anything

Had season tickets with some friends starting at 18 and the people we met over the years I'll always take with me... Everybody is family on game day

That's Buffalo

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 4

You’re welcome! Nice kids! I was the one with the ribs!

OK, now I’m just completely lying about all of that, I was home on the couch.   ?

BUT, you are absolutely correct about the quality of the community. I love my trips back and look forward to it annually, and the people are as much of a reason as the Bills. When each of my boys turned 16 I brought them up from Florida for a Bills game. A rite of passage, if you will. The people were so kind and welcoming, even a teenage boy couldn’t help but be amazed. We were out to dinner the night before and got talking to folks around us. People loved the “rite of passage” idea, and were all begging us to hit up there tailgates! (Very helpful for those in a hotel!)

It is indeed special! 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

You’re welcome! Nice kids! I was the one with the ribs!

OK, now I’m just completely lying about all of that, I was home on the couch.   ?

BUT, you are absolutely correct about the quality of the community. I love my trips back and look forward to it annually, and the people are as much of a reason as the Bills. When each of my boys turned 16 I brought them up from Florida for a Bills game. A rite of passage, if you will. The people were so kind and welcoming, even a teenage boy couldn’t help but be amazed. We were out to dinner the night before and got talking to folks around us. People loved the “rite of passage” idea, and were all begging us to hit up there tailgates! (Very helpful for those in a hotel!)

It is indeed special! 

That's an amazing rite of passage

Make sure they carry it on with their sons

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's an amazing rite of passage

Make sure they carry it on with their sons

We have a 5 year old grandson who said “Go Bills” shortly after “Dada”!  On our way! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Great story of community. Opposite side of that story is when a towel hit me in the head at the game. When I grabbed it off my shoulder it was a Redskin towel. I looked behind me and some slob was telling me to throw it further down the level. I looked behind him and there was a young guy and gal ( probably late teens to early 20s) looking pretty pissed because they took it and threw it. I walked back and handed it to them and asked him to stop his crap. All kinds needed to make this world go round. 

Edited by fansince88
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

They forgot food. Check

They forgot gloves. Check

They forgot warm clothing. Check

They couldn’t find their seats. Check

They couldn’t tell you who won the game. Check

But hear me out...I bet you $20 they had a full case of Natty Light and hit the Pinto bowling ball 3 or 4 times. 

Good times. 

• Haha (+1) 3

Thanks for sharing this, Webster. This truly is the real legacy of the Buffalo Mafia (AKA Bills fans) and the people in WNY in general. 

In fact, though I haven't lived in WNY for many years, I find acting like a true WNYer, and treating people with real respect tends to get you the same in response. I hope your son learns to pay it forward, as well. 

• Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Thanks for sharing this, Webster. This truly is the real legacy of the Buffalo Mafia (AKA Bills fans) and the people in WNY in general. 

In fact, though I haven't lived in WNY for many years, I find acting like a true WNYer, and treating people with real respect tends to get you the same in response. I hope your son learns to pay it forward, as well. 

Yeah he's the kind of kid that will pay it forward for sure.   

• Like (+1) 2

I come up to Buffalo from Austin Texas for 1 game each year and always leave amazed at how genuinely nice and welcoming people are.  I brought my girlfriend for the first time this year and she’s still raving at the tailgate hospitality, friendliness of people around town and genuine feel of the city.  Truly a special place 

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Yeah he's the kind of kid that will pay it forward for sure.   

such a good story. : )
 Delighted you shared it for sure.
as a Dad i would be just as thankful that folks looked after my dumbass kids ( not yours, Mine lol ) so well.

those impressions last forever , i have noticed in my kids

so cool he called you and told the story ! : )

That's a heartwarming story about a couple free-loaders who stole someone's seats at the game.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!  Very cool.  The first Bills game I went to was the end of October and my buddy and I were also ill-prepared.  Nobody was quite THIS nice.  I'm glad the young men had a blast!!

That is a great story.  I brought my 16 year old and his buddy to the game and they had a great time.  They were able to see the ketchup and mustard pre-game show and enjoyed the festivities.  Great food and fun before the game which always reinforces the fact that the majority of Bills fans are the best in the NFL!

After the game was a different story.  Group of drunks from Canada/England/Sweden that parked across from us were a sloppy mess and made for a less than stellar post-game celebration.  Many were loaded falling all over the place (one nearly fell into our grill as well as their own charcoal grill) and it ultimately led to several picking up one of their group and dropping him on a table.  Total $&^# show.  We had dinner in the lot while the traffic cleared and left not too long after.    

Awesome - I brought my 7 year old, and we got to watch a drunk guy hang on the hood of someone else's car while they tried to drive away.  Eventually he ripped their  wiper blades off after pouring beer on their windshield.  A crowd of bystanders stepped in to film the event in vertical position.  I assume the victory kept everyone in good spirits because nobody threw a punch.  - Not in Hammers Lot.

Edited by DasNootz

14 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Pizza Joe?  Who’s that ;)

Pizza Pete!! Glad they made the right decision to free load in Hammers Lot! Tell them next time to help pick up trash, it will warm their hearts doing so! Mark, the guy who shared those wings, is probale the smartest guy in the lot hands down. 

3 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Awesome - I brought my 7 year old, and we got to watch a drunk guy hang on the hood of someone else's car while they tried to drive away.  Eventually he ripped their  wiper blades off after pouring beer on their windshield.  A crowd of bystanders stepped in to film the event in vertical position.  I assume the victory kept everyone in good spirits because nobody threw a punch.  - Not in Hammers Lot.

In my Lot?

• Like (+1) 1