Let's stop apologizing for having an easy schedule

Since 2000, it seems like the Bills have been given one of the most difficult schedules year after.  Our schedule was frequently more difficult than the Patriot's schedule, even after they had won a Super Bowl.  These difficult schedules help in the Bills being mired in mediocre 7-9 seasons.

For a nice change, we have been blessed with a much softer schedule than any I can remember. (my fandom goes back to the 60's) 

So we are taking advantage of this easier schedule and winning the games we should.  I agree that we are not dominating lesser competition, but a win is a win.  I believe part of the inability of the Bills to put teams away early are the restrictions that the coaching staff has put on Josh Allen.  Whether you agree with that approach or not, bringing this young quarterback along slowly is the direction the brain trust has chosen to follow.

So we are possibly looking at a 10-6 record or better this year.  Why keep apologizing about our record?  We are way over due for getting a break with our schedule. Lets kick back and enjoy the ride.

Your thoughts?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Since 2000, it seems like the Bills have been given one of the most difficult schedules year after.  Our schedule was frequently more difficult than the Patriot's schedule, even after they had won a Super Bowl.  These difficult schedules help in the Bills being mired in mediocre 7-9 seasons.

For a nice change, we have been blessed with a much softer schedule than any I can remember. (my fandom goes back to the 60's) 

So we are taking advantage of this easier schedule and winning the games we should.  I agree that we are not dominating lesser competition, but a win is a win.  I believe part of the inability of the Bills to put teams away early are the restrictions that the coaching staff has put on Josh Allen.  Whether you agree with that approach or not, bringing this young quarterback along slowly is the direction the brain trust has chosen to follow.

So we are possibly looking at a 10-6 record or better this year.  Why keep apologizing about our record?  We are way over due for getting a break with our schedule. Lets kick back and enjoy the ride.

Your thoughts?

I don't think anyone is "apologizing" for it. 

But it's fair to have a concern that the team's W-L record may not reflect their overall quality, which is why I believe we are dogs to the Browns.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Agreed.

Furthermore, when there are 10 or 11 teams on your schedule that everyone agrees you "should" win, well...what does it say about your team that everyone thinks you "should" win those games? It says that everyone recognizes that you are superior to those teams. 

Put another way: There have been several seasons in the past 20 years where the Bills faced bad opponents that they "should" beat, and they couldn't beat them! We have seen the Bills lose "should win" games time and time again over the past two decades. Even if all the 2019 Bills have done, accomplishment wise, is learn to win all the games they "should" win, thats something! That's enough to get you to the playoffs some year, as we are potentially seeing now. And it's no sure thing that you're going to be able to take advantage of an easy schedule. You know who ELSE gets to face most of the same opponents the Bills are facing? The Jets. The Dolphins. What are THEIR records? You have to be good enough to be considered superior to the bottom feeders to begin with, and you have to be good enough to take advantage of the easy schedule by winning the games you should win. So far, the Bills HAVE been, and that represents a big change from the past 20 years. Next up: Finding ways to win a few games they're not "supposed to" win.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think anyone is "apologizing" for it. 

But it's fair to have a concern that the team's W-L record may not reflect their overall quality, which is why I believe we are dogs to the Browns.

Hapless, I almost always agree with you, and always at least respect you’re opinion.  I think the Browns is more f a question mark, than a concern.  

I dont expect us to be 8-2 in two weeks, but I could see it.  After seeing a little bit of the Ravens last night, and the Cowboys overall, we do have the tougher part of the schedule coming.  We’ll know more after those two games.

I mean... Schedule difficulty for any given team is also heavily impacted by where that team falls in the NFL hierarchy... if we're the 2010 squad we don't have an easy schedule cause we suck. We're playing some bad teams, but we're also a much better team than we have been before so our schedule is easier. 

• Like (+1) 2

A few thoughts related to this post:

1.  As the OP mentioned, for many years, the Bills had one of the most difficult schedules in the league.  We've had some decent, competitive teams that were a game or two out of the playoff hunt due (in part) to the difficulty of our schedule.  Teams in weaker division like the AFC South had a better opportunity to make the playoffs.

2.  The Jests and Dolphins are playing essentially the same schedule.  They are each 1-6.  The Pats are playing essentially the same schedule, and other than the close game in which they beat us, we have the same record.

3.  We have a young, developing QB who came from a smaller college program and a lot of new players integrated into the system.

It would be great if we could be more dominant and/or play more consistently, but we have still won 6 out of 8 NFL games.  No need to complain or apologize.  Let's hope we can continue to improve and can step up and win one against one of the teams with better records.  Even if we don't, and we continue to beat "who we are supposed to beat," we will still likely be 10-6 and get a wild card berth.  Bills fans should be allowed to enjoy the team's success!

• Like (+1) 1

Also, next year we play the NFC and AFC west The NFC West is currently the best division in football. So we could be in for one of the most difficult schedules next year. Just enjoy the ride. This team is learning how to win, which will help them years to come!

• Like (+1) 1