Sign in to follow this  
Shaw66

THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - “Bottom Feeding”

Shaw,

I have been reading the Rockpile Review now for years, even over on the old bills site.  I look forward to this every Monday after a game.  You never disapoint.  So first I want to day thank you.

I am starting to feel a different tone in these reviews.  For years it seems that you tried to be optomistic even when the bills were horrid.  It seems the expectations have now changed.  For years it was just hoping they would look competitive and maybe squeak a win here and there.  But now it's different isn't it.

Now we expect wins, and we wonder why we cannot dominate.   That is a wonderful fundamental change.  I think we can thank this regime for that.  

SS

PS: You and I have played in a fantasy league together many years ago.  You would have known me then under my old handle and that would have been Flea.

• Like (+1) 1

I keep saying it but the Bills keep doing it - stop running Allen as your short yardage back, especially deep in your own territory.  It cost them dearly in the game against the Eagles, and it damn near cost them again against Washington.  Shaw, you touched on why I think they are though - the line simply isn't good enough in short yardage when they are clearly showing the opponent that they are running the ball.  So you have two ways to go about that - 1) keep doing what you are doing and hope that it gets better; or 2) change up what plays you run in short yardage.   One of those is the obvious choice and one is thickheaded.

So here is something the Bills could do: they could change up what they do from the formations that are really huge tells about what they are going to do.  I've not been upset with Daboll's general effectiveness in getting this offense to move the ball.  They do and it's actually not a bad offense in terms of being consistent in that respect.  But the situational play calling and tells on formations drives me mad sometimes.

Think about how deadly play action could be for the Bills if they actually decided to do it from those jumbo formations when they never do - if you plant a seed that you could actually take a shot with that formation it could provide more space and commitment to playing off the line a little.  Split a burner like Brown or Foster wide out with an otherwise jumbo formation and if it is single coverage man, then you should have a decent window to hit a crossing route and a potentially big play - if you see the safety cheating over or back to move into that window, then you should have one less defender to worry about if you want to run.  But these are options if you want to start playing a game of cat and mouse with your previous tendencies.

The other way is to actually spread out and see what the Defense does to respond to it.  I like the spread out play calling in short yardage for this version of the Bills better than the jumbo because of the type of players they have.  And I also like the idea of Allen under center in it to put pressure on the Defense to guard against a QB sneak - you are forcing the defensive action when you do things like this.

But that is the short yardage issue - the other issue is situational play calling.  This team is good enough to be dominant - I truly believe that and I don't think they have tapped that potential yet.  They move the ball well start creating separation and then the play calling gets for lack of a better word - $#!tty.  Keep doing what got you ahead with smart and efficient play calling - don't play it too close to the vest and be one play away from the game turning on you.  That's what I'm seeing - a team that does dominate for stretches and then moves away from what works until they have to again.  You have a good defense - play like you can afford a mistake. If you are successful you certainly will be able to make one later without worrying about the consequences when the game is in hand.   I think that is what is frustrating fans - they see this team capable of making plays when it needs to, but for some reason it appears that they try to coast and protect small leads.  This leads to situations where there is a lot of consequence to a single mistake.  It's more of a philosophy of game management than anything and something that may be by design to help this young team learn, but ultimately they need to start taking the kid gloves off to be more dominant.

• Like (+1) 1

Two things struck me. The Redskins QB wasn't very good and like the Washington coaches stated, he really wasn't ready to start. while he didn't turn it over he did have a QBR of 31.9. Stating that, I wonder that if the Bills had faced a better QB would they have done as well?

The other thing is that the only good thing that the Redskins defense had going for them was a really, really very good defensive line. So, rather then dump on the Bills O line, I gotta wonder how many times do you continue to run Frank Gore up the middle before you realize he isn't going to get it done. When you already know that the strongest part of that Washington defense was the line and the LBers, DBs aren't that good...why run straight into the teeth?

It has me thinking is it the coaching or does this team want to play down to the competition they are facing or both?

Final note, Baker Mayfield is currently grading as the worst starting QB in the league. Yet, this Browns team found the wherewithal to beat the Baltimore Ravens 40-25 mostly with Nick Chubbs legs, 20 carries for 165 yards, 3 TDs, an 8.3 YPC AVG. Knowing that has started to give me nightmares about the Bills defense!  

Thanks, Shaw for a great post.  I always look forward to reading your Rockpile Review as I am not in the Bills' view area and rarely get to see a game.  

On 11/6/2019 at 7:39 PM, Ayjent said:

I keep saying it but the Bills keep doing it - stop running Allen as your short yardage back, especially deep in your own territory.  It cost them dearly in the game against the Eagles, and it damn near cost them again against Washington.  Shaw, you touched on why I think they are though - the line simply isn't good enough in short yardage when they are clearly showing the opponent that they are running the ball.  So you have two ways to go about that - 1) keep doing what you are doing and hope that it gets better; or 2) change up what plays you run in short yardage.   One of those is the obvious choice and one is thickheaded.

So here is something the Bills could do: they could change up what they do from the formations that are really huge tells about what they are going to do.  I've not been upset with Daboll's general effectiveness in getting this offense to move the ball.  They do and it's actually not a bad offense in terms of being consistent in that respect.  But the situational play calling and tells on formations drives me mad sometimes.

Think about how deadly play action could be for the Bills if they actually decided to do it from those jumbo formations when they never do - if you plant a seed that you could actually take a shot with that formation it could provide more space and commitment to playing off the line a little.  Split a burner like Brown or Foster wide out with an otherwise jumbo formation and if it is single coverage man, then you should have a decent window to hit a crossing route and a potentially big play - if you see the safety cheating over or back to move into that window, then you should have one less defender to worry about if you want to run.  But these are options if you want to start playing a game of cat and mouse with your previous tendencies.

The other way is to actually spread out and see what the Defense does to respond to it.  I like the spread out play calling in short yardage for this version of the Bills better than the jumbo because of the type of players they have.  And I also like the idea of Allen under center in it to put pressure on the Defense to guard against a QB sneak - you are forcing the defensive action when you do things like this.

But that is the short yardage issue - the other issue is situational play calling.  This team is good enough to be dominant - I truly believe that and I don't think they have tapped that potential yet.  They move the ball well start creating separation and then the play calling gets for lack of a better word - $#!tty.  Keep doing what got you ahead with smart and efficient play calling - don't play it too close to the vest and be one play away from the game turning on you.  That's what I'm seeing - a team that does dominate for stretches and then moves away from what works until they have to again.  You have a good defense - play like you can afford a mistake. If you are successful you certainly will be able to make one later without worrying about the consequences when the game is in hand.   I think that is what is frustrating fans - they see this team capable of making plays when it needs to, but for some reason it appears that they try to coast and protect small leads.  This leads to situations where there is a lot of consequence to a single mistake.  It's more of a philosophy of game management than anything and something that may be by design to help this young team learn, but ultimately they need to start taking the kid gloves off to be more dominant.

YO! Great post. Post more. 

On 11/6/2019 at 7:39 PM, Ayjent said:

I hadn't seen this for a couple of days.   This is excellent.

What you sort of say is if you don't have a dominant group of linemen, adding another to the jumbo package doesn't make your running blocking any better - you've just added one more guy who isn't dominant.  Then, by bunching them, you allow the defense to bunch, too, which means that your already not dominant line now has to block the entire defense.  

I think what you say is correct - when you're not dominant you have to spread out and make the defense defend the entire field.  Yes, that's a bit risky, but it plays into the Bills' offensive strength - the crossing routes, Josh rolling out, etc.  

Thanks for posting.