Amazing roster turnover in the last 2 years

Someone posted a video of the Snow game on FB, and watching that and seeing who was on that roster less than 2 years ago it really struck me just how Beane and McDermott have remade this team in short order.  Only 10 players from this game are still on the team.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201712100buf.htm#home_snap_counts::none

Dion Dawkins
Pat DiMarco

Micah Hyde

TreDavious White
Jordan Poyer
Matt Milano
Lorenzo Alexander
Jerry Hughes
Reid Ferguson

Stephen Hauschka

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 4

LOL  you Rosen'd you own post    :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:  

2 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Someone posted a video of the Snow game on FB, and watching that and seeing who was on that roster less than 2 years ago it really struck me just how Beane and McDermott have remade this team in short order.  Only 10 players from this game are still on the team.

<script type="text/javascript" src="//widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=pfr&url=%2Fboxscores%2F201712100buf.htm&div=div_home_snap_counts"></script>

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

LOL  you Rosen'd you own post    :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:  

I was wondering how that <code> tag would work.  Didn't.

Shaq Lawson was on that team but not active for that game, so officially we'll say 11 are still here.

• Like (+1) 1

That's one of the reasons patience will be a virtue with this team and organization. Improvement isn't going to be linear. They may well need more drafts and definitely need for a breakout star and dynamic performer or 2 on both sides of the ball. They have a bunch of good solid players but no real stars. The mid level free agents they've supplemented (and basically constructed the gist of this lineup and roster with) should ultimately be replaced by their draftees. They need to draft well and supplement with an occasional free agent (perhaps a high priced one or 2) rather than having so much of the roster be acquistions from other teams. I honestly think they are making progress this year but are not in the top group of teams yet.  For their development stage, 2 years removed from a total gut job, they are overperforming. If the QB could be a star (and it's certainly not a given he will be) it could be an era of unbridled optimism. Especially if they draft well. 

Way to go Bubba.  We’re aligned.  I never expected us to get to the AFC Championship game, just hopefully win the wildcard weekend.  That would be progress and you’re right we need more solid drafts, and this cap $ is probably going down in part to resigning those who deserve it like Milano, eventually Tre and so on.

Not completely fair way to look at it. Many players went on to contribute elsewhere:

Preston Brown

Zach Brown

R Darby

S Gilmore

Dareus

M Goodwin

C Glenn

L McCoy

S Watkins

R Woods

Probably even more that are end of roster type guys. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Not completely fair way to look at it. Many players went on to contribute elsewhere:

Preston Brown

Zach Brown

R Darby

S Gilmore

Dareus

M Goodwin

C Glenn

L McCoy

S Watkins

R Woods

I think you missed the point of the post.

• Like (+1) 2

Interesting. The question is,  where is the team better and where is it worse.  

DT Kyle was ok in 2017 and better than Oliver, Dareus was still a good run stuffer and much better than Star ever was - run defnese went downhill terribly after he was traded

MLB - I would say Preston Brown and Edmunds are a push.  Of course Brown was not going to get any better and Edmunds still has upside we may have not seen

C - Wood was a better center than Morse.  If not for the injury, he is probably still the starting center

LG - Incognito was far better than Spain

RG - Feliciano is better than Ducasse, but after a bad start, down the stretch in 2017 Ducasse was playing very well.  Regressed terribly.

RB - McCoy is still a far better RB than Gore, He still has 5.2 YPC; Singletary has fewer rushes but an incredible 6.7 YPC.  

RT - Mills was a better run blocker than Nsekhe but far worse in pass protection. Ford is probably a better run blocker than Mills but again is a dumpster fire in pass blocking at this point, even worse than Mills

WR - this is where the current team is far better - Zay Jones and KB were the receivers in 2017.  Brown and Beasley are far better receivers and even Duke, McKenzie are better than 2017 

Backup LB's - garbage in 2017 and garbage in 2019

TE - Current group of three is far better than 2017 with an injured Clay being the only decent player.  

QB - TT protected the ball and didn't win enough, Allen is throwing less interceptions over the last few weeks but still has a fumbling problem.  

Summary

DL and OL are still worse than 2017.

LB's are a push but the future looks bright

WR, TE, and QB all look to be improved

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Preston Brown

Zach Brown

R Darby

S Gilmore

Dareus

M Goodwin

C Glenn

L McCoy

S Watkins

R Woods

Dareus is invisible. He has a total of 2.5 sacks since leaving Buffalo. He's nothing more than a rotational defensive lineman now.

11 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I think you missed the point of the post.

Correct...I was responding to the "the stench is gone" post and guessing it would go down the road of getting rid of trash players. 

No arguing there has not been a ton of turnover.