Headed to Puerto Rico - any tips from those that have been?

ChevyVanMiller

Wife and I are headed out soon for a week at a luxury resort near San Juan. 

Has aanyone ever been? Any tips on what to see and do would be greatly appreciated. Aside from spending some quality time on the sandy beaches, we love tours and trips. Old San Juan is a must, but would love to visit any must-see attractions.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Hi Chevy,

I lived in Puerto Rico for about 10 years.  Have since moved to Virginia but still go there every month or so for work.  Actually, I just flew back last night.  I have a lot of thoughts on things to do in PR.  Below are some of my trips/activities I always enjoy.  

• Wander around OSJ.  You can hit the forts, the governors mansion, the bars, the cathedral etc.  A lot to do.  Most of this can be done with little to no cost and you don't need a tour guide.
  • I always tell people to visit El San Juan Resort on a Friday or Saturday night.  Nice old school hotel lobby with live music.  
  • I like visiting La Placita in Santurce.  It is an area of San Juan with many restaurants and bars.  Pretty local.  You are allowed to drink on the streets which is nice.
  • People often go up to El Yunque (Rain forrest.)  This is fun but you need a car or to go with a group.  I would drive up the mountain during the day and then hit Luquillo Kioscos for food on the way back.
  • Guvate-  Otherwise known as the pork highway.  Up in the mountains but a lot of fun.  
  • If you want to go on a real adventure, rent a jeep and go up to Cerro de Nandy.  This is a restaurant on a mountain.  Only assessable via 4 wheel drive.  
  • Arecibo area things- If you want to trek about 1.5 hours West of San Juan there are a couple cool things to do near Arecibo.  Zip Line Tours, Cueva del Ventana (Window Cave), Cueva del Indio (Indian Caves), Radio Telescope, Columbus Statue.  
  •   West Coast has great beaches and seems to be more chill than San Juan.  However, to get to Rincon or Isabella its a bit of a drive.

PM me with any questions or anything I should elaborate on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Wife and I are headed out soon for a week at a luxury resort near San Juan. 

Has as anyone ever been? Any tips on what to see and do would be greatly appreciated. Aside from spending some quality time on the sandy beaches, we love tours and trips. Old San Juan is a must, but would love to visit any must-see attractions.

Thanks in advance.

Do a night kayak trip at the bioluminescent bay near San Juan. It's a neat little excursion from SJ. 

https://www.kayakingpuertorico.com/home/tours/bio-bay-kayak-tour/

Old San Juan is a little boring, IMO, but if you have never been, it's okay to sort of walk around the forts and the streets for 1/2 a day.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I believe @fansince88's son - and @PromoTheRobot's friend - both assisted after PR got nailed by the hurricane.  Not sure if they were ever able to spend any enjoyable time, but I figured I'd loop them in, just in case.

It was all work for my friend. Not a happy time as you can imagine.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I believe @fansince88's son - and @PromoTheRobot's friend - both assisted after PR got nailed by the hurricane.  Not sure if they were ever able to spend any enjoyable time, but I figured I'd loop them in, just in case.

Same here for my son. He did get 1 day off for a break over the 5 weeks he was there. He said 3 recomendations. 1) do not drink coffee from a local if your heart cant handle it. He had some and he felt his heart for the whole day. LOTS of caffeine.  2) He said Old San Juan is a must see! 3) Stay in the tourist areas. Crime is heavy otherwise.

22 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It was all work for my friend. Not a happy time as you can imagine.

15 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Same here for my son. He did get 1 day off for a break over the 5 weeks he was there. He said 3 recomendations. 1) do not drink coffee from a local if your heart cant handle it. He had some and he felt his heart for the whole day. LOTS of caffeine.  2) He said Old San Juan is a must see! 3) Stay in the tourist areas. Crime is heavy otherwise.

PTR, your friend and Fan, your son - are both wonderful people for helping.

Magna is the superior local beer. 

Mofongo is awesome.

I had excellent 2-for-$5 mojitos at some rooftop bar in San Juan.

The Bacardi distillery is actually a really cool tour.  $15 gets you the tour and a drink. 

That's pretty much all I remember.

2 hours ago, Bandito said:

Why would you ever go to that crap hole? It is a place full of corruption who the US should cut off from mooching off of us and let them fend for themselves.

I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties.

I’ve found Puerto Rico to be a beautiful and charming place the few times that I was there. Yes, it’s corrupt but so is everywhere. I’d go back to PR in a second.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bandito said:

Why would you ever go to that crap hole? It is a place full of corruption who the US should cut off from mooching off of us and let them fend for themselves.

You are way the ***** out of line, here.  Way out of line.

• Like (+1) 2

I've been to San Juan a few times.  In OSJ, my wife and I like the following:

- La Taberna Lúpulo.  A cozy "American" bar with an extensive draft beer selection. Also have nice small plate menu. Nice, open-air place to hang out for an hour or two to get out of the sun or rain. 151 Calle San Sebastian. 

- El Jibarito.  Neighborhood restaurant not far from Taberna Lupulo. Good, cheap local food and drinks. If with a group, order a few things to share. Glorified street eats. 

25 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

We are here now. Went to old San Juan today. Beautiful. Too much to take in all in one day. Taking a rainforest tour tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Make sure that you climb the waterfall while at El Yunque. It’s pretty cool.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

We are here now. Went to old San Juan today. Beautiful. Too much to take in all in one day. Taking a rainforest tour tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Make sure you don't wear one of those red MAGA hats and throw paper towels at the locals. They might respond by throwing rocks at you. :devil:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bandito said:

It is true though. Sorry your feelings get hurt by facts

I'm sorry you're too ignorant to figure out that there's a time and a place.  There's never a right time for that comment and this CERTAINLY isn't the place.  Please go elsewhere with your bigoted crap.

Edited by Gugny
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Assuming my ethnicity? I am part Puerto Rican. Hence my user name. You sound like the bigoted one here. Not a good look for you to assume like that.

I didn't assume anything and I don't give a rat's ass about your ethnicity.  I'm bowing out of this part of the conversation out of respect for the OP, as well as other obvious reasons.  Enjoy your hatred-filled day.

• Awesome! (+1) 1