Jordan Phillips earns start; Oliver only plays 18 def snaps vs Redskins

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because he is having to use his DTs to protect his linebackers. It is not because Oliver is playing terribly against the run.... it is because the linebackers are and so teams are running more on us and McDermott's answer is to put bigger and bigger bodies out there. When the linebackers were doing their jobs better it allowed him to use Oliver the way he envisaged using him. To disrupt the pocket on dropbacks.

This makes some sense, but what's up with the linebackers?

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If you truly are an adult, which you are calling into question, you will realize immature statements like you are only suppose to blindly praise the Bills is ridiculous.  You should have some basis for your criticism, and you should be able to engage in a dialogue and debate without behaving this way.  Let's take Oliver.  I have said in this very thread that while he has gotten some good pressure in the passing game, he has struggled in run support.  Let me say it again:  he has struggled in run support. 

The difference between folks like you and folks like me and others around here, is that you are unwilling to have your opinions challenged.  When that is done, you default into this kind of diatribe.  If you want to have a real discussion, then discuss.  Like how anyone can call Allen a bust is at this point in his career just simply wrong IMHO.  If you wat to engage in a constructive way, do so.  IF you just want to be a flame thrower, then the mods will get involved as they should.

Prophetic

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Quinnen Williams isn't doing anything either.  Maybe, just maybe, teams shouldn't draft DT's in the Top 10. 

Or maybe the transition to the NFL takes longer than most fans think...?

• Like (+1) 2

Some here are more educated in football than me, so help me out on this.  The impression I had between halves yesterday is that the front 7 was more reading and reacting in the first half, whereas in the second half they were attacking the LOS and forcing plays.    Is that correct?

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There was definitely one where Milano was in the wrong gap too. There was one play on the first long drive with the three back to back runs (I think it was the first one) where Oliver was just tossed aside by the olineman. That run was at least in part on him. There was one where Stat got totally turned around and was facing his own goalline as Peterson ran off his left hip into our secondary and there was play where Phillips was there to make the tackle and just whiffed on it.

There were 2 runs by AP where he was in the grasp of the db who filled in properly, just didn't finish the tackle. The 1st was behind the l.o.s. The db had him in his grasp for a loss. Didn't make the tackle, AP ran through the tackle. He ran past Star, but Star was still engaged with his blocker, but did his job. The 2nd, again the db had him in his grasp, for a loss. AP threw him to the turf like a rag doll and got a nice gain. Again, the dline did it's job. AP is still a beast who ran for over 1k last year. 

Edited by Dopey

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Some here are more educated in football than me, so help me out on this.  The impression I had between halves yesterday is that the front 7 was more reading and reacting in the first half, whereas in the second half they were attacking the LOS and forcing plays.    Is that correct?

Same here.

I do think the lbs and safeties don't take on the blocks to fill that gap, but try to get around the block and leave the gap wide open. Also, rbs have been able to take a fake/jab step to one direction before hitting the hole/gap and Edmunds goes toward the fake and leaves his gap. The rb then hits the intended hole/gap where Edmunds should have been. Had the rb continued in the direction of the fake, we had it covered. Everyone has to do their job, not try to do someone else's job. Milano has been guilty of this too, but Edmunds stands out to me as doing it more often. Just my take, but like you, I'm not as educated as some.

I agree this is not good news for Oliver, but I think it's less about Oliver playing poorly and more about Phillips playing lights out.  On limited snaps, the guy leads all NFL defensive tackles in sacks through the halfway point of the season.  It does leave Buffalo with a bit of a dilemma after the season.  Phillips is playing better and deserves to be the starter, but will be a free agent and is going to merit a BIG contract.  Oliver still has great upside but with fewer snaps may develop more slowly.  Still, he's on a rookie deal for three more years after this season, plus his option year as a first rounder.  I presume the Bills keep Oliver and hope he develops despite not getting starter snaps.

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Come on now JA crowd!!!  How many starts has this kid had?   Can’t judge #91!  He has only played half a season!!  LOL. 

Allen didn't start all of last year.  Frankly, I was hoping he could have sat all of last year.  The JDS is strong with you :) 

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think it would be interesting to have him on the field along with Star and Phillips.

We can’t afford to give up all that production we are getting from Hughes and Murphy!  ?

I never expected much from Murphy, but I was hoping Hughes would attend a few games this year. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

We can’t afford to give up all that production we are getting from Hughes and Murphy!  ?

I never expected much from Murphy, but I was hoping Hughes would attend a few games this year. 

I thought Lawson looked decent yesterday.

1 hour ago, Mr. SpacePuppy said:

Your only supposed to blindly praise the Bills. Apparently no criticism allowed.  If you do criticize, the insults and personal attacks come out from long standing board members which seems to be okay for the Mods.

Of course not, there is tons, and I mean tons, of criticism of the Bills on the Board-- perfectly fine.  But your posts a clearly troll-like, and designed to upset with little logic.  It is sad that you are so unhappy you get joy from spreading misery.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Holy hyperbole.  Am I allowed to use someone that didn't set the NFL world on fire in his first year but then became great after?  Like Geno Atkins?

I’ll add Mike Daniels to that as well. Most of the successful “short” DTs take a season or two to really figure out how to play. Aaron Donald is certainly the exception rather than the rule.... Oliver is currently on pace to match John Randles rookie numbers. It’s gonna take some time for this kid to figure out hand fighting, block shedding and leverage at the NFL level. 

• Like (+1) 3

According to some of the TBD GM's around here banging on their keyboards feel EO was the wrong pick and are now declaring after 8 games that he is a bust? I have to wonder why they are here on a message board when they could be making a really nice living as a GM on an NFL team somewhere? 

91 is not a bust imo, they will continue to work and help him develop and he should work his way back in to the line up? 8 games in to his rookie season does not determine his career in the NFL.