Jordan Phillips earns start; Oliver only plays 18 def snaps vs Redskins

YoloinOhio

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Give me a break. I got mocked all offseason expressing the concern for Edmunds and Star in the run game.... Star is literally a traffic cone and Edmunds still struggles to diagnose plays and disengage blocks. Hence the reason teams have had success running the ball on us. 

How much tape have you watched?

I’ve been waiting to see the snap counts.  I didn’t know it was that bad.  

Yes, it’s a bad look for our 1st round pick.   Rookie or not, you expect the guys from your first two rounds to be consistent starters and making impacts.   

The idea of bust potential has to creep into your mind 

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ed will be fine.  Jordan is currently the better player.  He deserves the start imo.  He’s gonna make at least 13 mill a year.  If he keeps improving, he could make 17+

If the Bills pay that, they are drunk.

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes he is. He’s the NFL equivalent of a small forward. Tall and thin, with speed. What? You consider him to be a prototypical MLB?

I think he’s kinda huge bro. He’s like Gronk’s size at 21. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes he is. He’s the NFL equivalent of a small forward. Tall and thin, with speed. What? You consider him to be a prototypical MLB?

There is nothing medium sized about 6’5”, 250lbs. 

Tell me, in today’s highly specialized sub-package league, what is a prototypical MLB? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

There is nothing medium sized about 6’5”, 250lbs. 

Tell me, in today’s highly specialized sub-package league, what is a prototypical MLB? 

Average LB size in the NFL in 6’2” and 220. If Edmunds is medium sized, maybe we need to call Brock Osweiler out of retirement and pack on 60 pounds to roam the middle.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How much "tape" did you watch?  Honestly answer this question.  How much film, specifically breaking down Star have you watched?

I think by "tape" he means the box score. 'Cause anyone hating on Star is only judging his stat line, not his game play.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Enough to be proven 100% right about Edmunds and Star to this point in the season. Tell me Royals, why does this defense continue to get exposed against the run?

That's not an answer.  How much game film or tape have you watched and specifically watched Star?  Where are you getting this game film?

Also, where did you learn to break down film?

So you saying you're 100% right on Star means McDermott is wrong.  I kinda of said it as a joke above where I said you think you know more about the defense than McDermott but you actually believe it.  That's how stubborn you are...it's incredible.

I don't know what's wrong with our run defense because I don't break down film of defensive tackles.  I'm certainly not going to lie (like you are, it's obvious) about breaking down film and know exactly what the issues are.  As I've said all season and offseason...as soon as Star sits, then I'll start believing he is as bad as you say he is.  You have a problem with that because you cannot fathom a possibility that you can be wrong.  It never crosses your mind...you've always got this mindset "I'm right I'm right I'm right I'm right".

36 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Ouch man.  This pick is looking far worse than I thought it would.  I hope he turns it around

Oliver will be fine.  Hes undersized which means he has to develop more than 1 move.  There is lots of time for that.  He hustles every plays and has shown signs of being great...but needs a little time to develop things. 

• Like (+1) 3

It is way too premature to worry about the kid.  Watch the games; he gets penetration in the passing game, but is more vulnerable in the running game.  Kyle was kind of like that. 

I need to go back and watch the game again, but from what I've read they changed their gap schemes the second half, hit gaps quicker rather than wait for blockers to get to them.  That might help the kid in the run game.  I'd also like to see if they could put him outside, with Phillips and Star inside, in earlier downs.  He certainly has the quickness to be outside.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Still didn't change the fact that the Bills D is still struggling to stop the run. But then again I kind of expected AP to have a good game anyways.So hopefully the run D will improve from here on out.

It didn't.  We played bigger in the middle and still got gashed for 10 ypc from Peterson.  I don't know what's going on but they have to fix it very quickly.

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

On the 'Skins' first three-and-out, the third-down incompletion was caused by Oliver, who crushed the pocket from the middle.  I was kind of surprised we didn't see him much for the rest of the game but it's not because he's playing badly - he's playing well.  IMO Oliver played the run much better than Phillips did against the Eagles.

This. On their second drive he collapsed the pocket again on a 2nd and 6 forcing an errant throw and an incompletion. He also came in (with Taylor) at the end of their second long drive (when it had been Phillips and Star all the way down the field) and had two consecutive assisted tackles at the line on two back to back run plays. In fact that drive only stalled when Phillips and Star were rotated out and Taylor and Oliver came in fresh. He might have played 18 snaps yesterday but there were 4 actual impact plays in those 18 snaps. They took him out because they are trying to get bigger bodies in against the run - but I maintain the biggest problem in the run game is gap discipline at the 2nd level.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

It didn't.  We played bigger in the middle and still got gashed for 10 ypc from Peterson.  I don't know what's going on but they have to fix it very quickly.

Exactly. But really, who didn't thing AP would have a good game? I surely did. I was just hoping for the best. But they have to get the run D squared away and fast. I think they will, not like we will be playing AP every week from here on out. I just don't want another Eagles type game getting run all over again.