Jordan Phillips earns start; Oliver only plays 18 def snaps vs Redskins

YoloinOhio

The guy’s been balling,” safety Jordan Poyer said of Phillips. “It’s hard to keep him off the field. He brings a lot of energy to our team, brings a lot of juice to our team. ... He's a great player. He's going to continue to play well for us.”

Coach Sean McDermott agreed with that assessment. He gave Phillips his first start of the season against the Redskins.

Phillips moving into the starting lineup would be a significant development on its own, but that significance is heightened by who he moved in front of – first-round draft pick Ed Oliver. That shows McDermott is being truthful when he says jobs are earned. By any measure, Phillips has been the more impactful player through the first eight games of the season.

“I think it says a lot about our coaching staff, that they can trust the process and give the job to whoever they think has earned it in practice. That's tough to do in the business and in this league,” defensive end Trent Murphy said.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Ouch man.  This pick is looking far worse than I thought it would.  I hope he turns it around

He was replaced with a guy that has 6 sacks on the season. You would rather your rookie get outplayed by a GOOD player than have your rookie be downright bad.  In a perfect world, Oliver is that good player, but its not like Oliver is bad. He is just a rookie. 

• Like (+1) 17
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Oliver is in trouble. His ceiling was Aaron Donald. His floor was, well, I don’t know. 

He’s an undersized, squat DT who hasn’t been super effective rushing the passer. I’m not sure what his role in the defense is at his level of play right now. Still extremely early in his career, but I can understand why McD is limiting his role.

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He was replaced with a guy that has 6 sacks on the season. You would rather your rookie get outplayed by a GOOD player than have your rookie be downright bad.  In a perfect world, Oliver is that good player, but its not like Oliver is bad. He is just a rookie. 

I’d rather my pass rushing rookie DT get 9 sacks like Donald, or 6 like Dareus, not benched at 6-2 with the run defense imploding since the 3rd round pick last year got hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Oliver is in trouble. His ceiling was Aaron Donald. His floor was, well, I don’t know. 

He’s an undersized, squat DT who hasn’t been super effective rushing the passer. I’m not sure what his role in the defense is at his level of play right now. Still extremely early in his career, but I can understand why McD is limiting his role.

I’d rather my pass rushing rookie DT get 9 sacks like Donald, or 6 like Dareus, not benched at 6-2 with the run defense imploding since the 3rd round pick last year got hurt.

Yes, that is why I described that scenario as "in a perfect world." My point is only that it is better to get your playing time cut when the guy taking your spot is a 6 sack player. 

He's not even fully grown into his body yet.  He won't be 22 until December.

Sometimes these guys transform after a full off season of strength and conditioning.  

It's disappointing that he's not there yet, but it's not concerning.  8 games into the 2020 season, if he's still invisible, then we have a problem imo.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Yes, Oliver has played well from what I can tell. But tough to sit Phillips. It’s a good rotation. I think the 18 snaps from Oliver was because skins didn’t pass much. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, Oliver has played well from what I can tell. But tough to sit Phillips. It’s a good rotation. I think the 18 snaps from Oliver was because skins didn’t pass much. 

What happens on third down? Is Star taken out and replaced by Phillips, and Oliver is put in at the other DT spot.  That would happen in a perfect world...

Quinnen Williams isn't doing anything either.  Maybe, just maybe, teams shouldn't draft DT's in the Top 10. 

I'd use Oliver as a pass rushing DT this year because he needs an offseason of strength and conditioning to become an all around NFL DT. 

He's being supplanted in the rotation by one of the best DT's in the NFL.... so there's that. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yep...Harrison Phillips has been outstanding this year every game.

He was invisible on sunday.

1 minute ago, Capco said:

He's not even fully grown into his body yet.  He won't be 22 until December.

Sometimes these guys transform after a full off season of strength and conditioning.  

It's disappointing that he's not there yet, but it's not concerning.  8 games into the 2020 season, if he's still invisible, then we have a problem imo.  

I believe there were whispers that Oliver’s  coaches at Houston thought his frame couldn’t handle much more playing weight.