Week 10: Bills at Browns

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Okay, so taking this and building on the idea here... Is our short passing game one of the strengths of our offense? It seems like when we're getting Beasley involved, we're using the TE's and we're passing short across this middle we're moving the ball effectively... Why don't we do that regularly? Are teams adjusting, or does Daboll just struggle being consistent? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So wait.  The Bills are 2.5 point Dogs to the Browns?

" In the early odds for Week 10, the Browns have opened as a 2.5-point home favorite over the Bills, and no, that is not a typo: The 2-6 Browns are actually favored this week to beat the 6-2 Bills."

Wow.  Just....Wow.  I hope our Bills find that motivational.

What part of their play justifies them being upset being an underdog? At least the Browns can say they beat the Ravens.

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So wait.  The Bills are 2.5 point Dogs to the Browns?

" In the early odds for Week 10, the Browns have opened as a 2.5-point home favorite over the Bills, and no, that is not a typo: The 2-6 Browns are actually favored this week to beat the 6-2 Bills."

Wow.  Just....Wow.  I hope our Bills find that motivational.

I think they are favored Sunday because they are going to the Super Bowl. Did you forget that?  ?

This actually scares me (like every game does). I fear they will extinguish the tire fire and instead come out on fire, righting the ship and saving the season. That’s what the desperate Eagles did to us. The Browns have talent....I just hope the dysfunction lasts at least one more week. (I actually feel for their fans, but until they get a new OWNER....... I’ll expect little sustained success.) 

Edited by Augie

6 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

YWhat part of their play justifies them being upset being an underdog? At least the Browns can say they beat the Ravens.

The Browns 2 - 6 record is deceiving and is not indicative of the talent they have on the roster IMO.

Philly had a losing record when we played them...

Edited by Figster

12 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Okay, so taking this and building on the idea here... Is our short passing game one of the strengths of our offense? It seems like when we're getting Beasley involved, we're using the TE's and we're passing short across this middle we're moving the ball effectively... Why don't we do that regularly? Are teams adjusting, or does Daboll just struggle being consistent? 

This is a Mystery of Life.  Please meditate on a mountain for enlightenment and when it comes to you, kindly share.

It seems to me that Daboll treats effective plays as though they're fine Waterford crystal and must be packed away each in their own custom hardboard box lined with shape-to-fit foam lest the opposing defense, Those Rascals! spoil and defile their pristine purity.

Now I get it that one can overuse a play, but that doesn't seem to bother Daboll when it's goal-to-go at the 1 yd line, does it?

Ordinary NFL coordinators, faced with a play that works, be all "BooYAH!  How do you like me now?  Yeah, baby, Choke on It!  We'll run it until you stop it!"

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think they are favored Sunday because they are going to the Super Bowl. Did you forget that?  ?

I did, actually.  Thanks for reminding me

This actually scares me (like every game does). I fear they will extinguish the tire fire and instead come out on fire, righting the ship and saving the season. That’s what the desperate Eagles did to us. The Browns have talent....I just hope the disjunction lasts at least one more week. (I actually feel for their fans, but until they get a new OWNER....... I’ll expect little sustained success.) 

I am a fellow Bills fan suffering from BBFS and I feel your pain.  This team reminds me every Sunday, don't count anyone out.  No lead is safe.

That said......Don Pederson has proven himself as a Superbowl winning coach, one of the few who have outdueled the Evil Hoodie****.    I'm not sure you can say the same about Freddie Kitchens.

Desperate Eagles may be a different creature than Desperate Browns.

Or not.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

This actually scares me (like every game does). I fear they will extinguish the tire fire and instead come out on fire, righting the ship and saving the season. That’s what the desperate Eagles did to us. The Browns have talent....I just hope the disjunction lasts at least one more week. (I actually feel for their fans, but until they get a new OWNER....... I’ll expect little sustained success.) 

how does the offense handle garrett and Vernon. how does the defense handle chubb…. I think these matchups will be big factors.

…. I wont even pretend to know the answers to those questions.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills were favored against the eagles 

Thanks Yolo,

I realize that and just pointing out a teams record does not always give a clear picture on what you may face on any given Sunday. A change at QB for instance can spark a football team like Fitzy did for Miami. Losing teams make changes.

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a Mystery of Life.  Please meditate on a mountain for enlightenment and when it comes to you, kindly share.

It seems to me that Daboll treats effective plays as though they're fine Waterford crystal and must be packed away each in their own custom hardboard box lined with shape-to-fit foam lest the opposing defense, Those Rascals! spoil and defile their pristine purity.

Now I get it that one can overuse a play, but that doesn't seem to bother Daboll when it's goal-to-go at the 1 yd line, does it?

Ordinary NFL coordinators, faced with a play that works, be all "BooYAH!  How do you like me now?  Yeah, baby, Choke on It!  We'll run it until you stop it!"

Apt and vibrant description. It's truly boggling. There's all these complaints about how bad the playcalling is and I am left wondering if that's a misrepresentation of the issue... Obviously it is a play calling issue, but I feel like saying "bad playcalling" misses some of the minutiae of what we're doing wrong.. It's more like, bad flow. We have a great ability to do many different things on Offense successfully. We can run outside successfully, we can run inside successfully. We can pass short successfully, we can pass middle/vertically successfully, the problem as I see it, is that no matter what it is that we do well on drive A, we will forever come back and try something different on drives b-z. If the defense wants us to march down the field with 6 yard passes to Beasley, for ***** sake- DO IT!

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

Thanks Yolo,

I realize that and just pointing out a teams record does not always give a clear picture on what you may face on any given Sunday. A change at QB for instance can spark a football team like Fitzy did for Miami. Losing teams make changes.

Obviously. Why are they favored though ... is the question. I prefer it that way, to be clear. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Bills are 5-3 ATS this season, third best overall in the NFL. The line does seem strange, but it shows that the public isn’t ready to jump on the Bills bandwagon just yet. 

Nor should they. This post isn’t directed at you, and is just made in general: I’m thrilled with the 6-2 start just like most folks, but we’ve struck out in our only two prove it games and failed to blow the doors off any of the tomato cans. Those are the facts and people are understandably skeptical. That’s not to knock what they’ve accomplished. You play your schedule. That’s it. But until we do what the Ravens did last night (or something comparable) where we beat a contending/talented team (preferably several in our last 8 games) people will doubt the Bills. Can’t blame them based on the history of this franchise. 

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Bills are 5-3 ATS this season, third best overall in the NFL. The line does seem strange, but it shows that the public isn’t ready to jump on the Bills bandwagon just yet. 

The line is a construct of the Vegas bookies to try to balance the action on both teams.  It has nothing to do with the relative strength of the teams.  I follow an analytics site that has the Bills at #18 and the Browns at #25 Browns are at home.  They are saying the Bills have a 46% win percentage and the Browns 54%.  Says the teams are pretty evenly matched and the home team [except for the recent world series] wins 52-53% of the time.  Thats why they play the game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1