Week 10: Bills at Browns

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I was gonna say, I know the other team usually talks us up a bit; but "And he's accurate?"   Maybe within 15 yards, but past that forget it.

What is the element of surprise...that Josh is going to be accurate throwing the long ball?

I guess it's all in your perspective.  There is a lot of media narrative about Josh Allen that he's wildly inaccurate at any distance.

If these guys participated in the 2018 scouting process, Josh's biggest gap was the short and intermediate "bread and butter" QB throws.

So I read into it an element of surprise that on the bread and butter throws, Josh is actually accurate.

I can't imagine a modern DC being all shook up about whether or not Josh is accurate on a category of throws that should make up 10-15% of the throws in a typical NFL game.  It's defending the wheel route and the 10 yd slant he's looking at.

I'm sorry that wasn't clear from my post but I have to say I kind of found where you took it to be surprising from the context.

JA average completed air yards from NFL Next Gen: 5.9

Carson Wentz: 6.1

Aaron Rodgers: 5.7

Drew Brees: 5.6

I think it's probably time to put the "can't throw past 15 yards accurately" thing to rest, because given that all those QB complete plenty of shovel passes and dump offs, they must all be completing similar number of longer throws to balance 'em out. 

We would all like to see long oooh and aaaah hail marys but they truly are a small part of the game.

24 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I was gonna say, I know the other team usually talks us up a bit; but "And he's accurate?"   Maybe within 15 yards, but past that forget it.

What is the element of surprise...that Josh is going to be accurate throwing the long ball?

They still need to be prepared for his arm. He attempts to throw deep even though it hasn’t connected. He was accurate to John brown a couple times and was a drop and a PI non call. They see on film that they need to defend the whole field. 

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We would all like to see long oooh and aaaah hail marys but they truly are a small part of the game.

True, they are, but they also keep the DBs from cheating up and clogging the short to mid lanes that do make up most of the passing game.

17 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

True, they are, but they also keep the DBs from cheating up and clogging the short to mid lanes that do make up most of the passing game.

Happy, do us a friendly.  Go to Next Gen stats and look at charts for 3 QB.  You pick 'em.  Whatever 3 QB you like, and JA.

These are charts week by week that chart all the throws a QB makes and whether they're incompletions or completions.  Scroll through week by week.

I think you'll notice that most QB throws cluster within 10 yards of the LOS, and that beyond 15-20 yds the white dots stack up.  Even for great QB who are known for their bomb abilities like Rodgers, one week may be nothing but incompletions past 15 yards, one week might be 4-5 completions, one week might be 50/50.  And these are guys who have been playing for years and sometimes playing with the same WR for years.

Really, the need to keep DBs from cheating up is clear with Josh.  He had two very nice completions to Brown for 22 and 25 yds last week, and would have had a 35 yd pass if the DB hadn't gotten away with wrapping up Brown's legs and holding him down when he tried to go up for it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Rockinon said:

Lot of people are worried about losing do to the Brown's run game. I think they have it backwards. The Browns 30th ranked run defense is going to lose do to the Bill's rushing game. They won't be able to stop it.

I think it is more that folks are cautious that struggling teams with enough talent seem to always have a game or two where they pull it together and are competitive.

Cleveland fits that mold. Just have to be sure one of their odd chance wins is not against our Bills.

I think we will be able to gauge what kind of day it is going to be pretty early. They are going to test us up the middle and if we can stone them and hang a score of two on them, they will have to rethink their game plan.

Otherwise I think it will become a bit of a run-heavy play action slugfest. I think this is going to be a very physical game and a penalty-fest. I do not have a hard time picturing Landry getting tossed.

Edited by WideNine

Browns 4th hardest schedule at present and the Bills 30th.....This game is gonna be a nice test for the Bills even though if they win i'm sure the media will spin it as the lowly 2-6 Browns but boy are they on the facts that The Browns are favored because the Bills are no where near a true 6-2 team..........Will be important to get on top of the Browns early imo to stop any confidence they may gain in game

• Like (+1) 3

This is dream I had last night , it was short and brief 

I was in Cleveland . and we were watching TV with some Bills and Browns fans at someone's house 

" Here we go , this is gonna be a 52 yard field goal for Buffalo with only 3 seconds left to this game . Browns leads it 10-9 here at the woof woof pound , it is loud here in Cleveland . What a huge defenses battle , both defenses were fantastic but this is going to determine the outcome of the  game "  I was so nervous as soon as he kicked that field goals I woke up ! No idea if he made it or not 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Nanker said:

***** theBrownies and the horse they rode in on. ***** them. They suck and their city is *****. 

I enjoyed Cleveland when I went to the MAC basketball tournament. Reminds me of Buffalo.

7 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

the Bills are no where near a true 6-2 team. 

120430-345743-120430-ent-dwts-hmed-block

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2019/11/07/fbn-bills-browns-preview/

Getting hot for Kitchens as Browns fail to reach potential

CLEVELAND — Freddie Kitchens sold cars in Alabama before he got into coaching. He may soon have to rely on those sales skills to make a case for keeping his job.

The Browns’ first-year coach, whose selection was met with some skepticism because of his lack of experience, could be down to his final games if Cleveland doesn’t turn around a season that has derailed after beginning with sky-high optimism.

Handed a talented team, Kitchens hasn’t been able to mold the Browns (2-6) into anything close to resembling a playoff contender. He’s got time, but it could be running short and a win over the Buffalo Bills (6-2) on Sunday would go a long way to helping him cool the hot seat he’s currently occupying.  ... 

14 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Cleveland can rush the passer on D, but are terrible on D otherwise.

If there is a game where you think the Bills offense with the nine new starters will gel and show consistency............ this is it.

We shall see.

Probably no Vernon. Miles is beast & Ward is their Tre White but their LB's suck this year going from 3-4 to 4-3. Safeties are the weakest in the league. Safety and Off Tackle are their 2 biggest needs.

Josh & Motor should have success.....but depending on the game plan of course-