Week 10: Bills at Browns

YoloinOhio

I watched that Browns Ravens game. Closer than score indicated, was a 6 point game with 9 min in the 4th. Then big chunk runs and turnovers. Hats off to Browns, but i think that Ravens offense isnt built to throw from behind. Our DBs much better...espc seeing as they will be down at Safety w Whitehead gone. 

Like most are saying, the fear is Chubb, but this oline doesnt manhandle anyone. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McDermott live! Wednesday presser

Or this may keep working

Injuries: Kevin Johnson (knee) won't practice and 'Zo Alexander and Ty Nsecke have "vet days".  Cody Ford limited.

Some of the questions! 

"This is twice in two years you've had a 3 week stretch of pretty bad run defense.  Does it leave you (wondering how that happens - unclear on exact words) being the defensive mind that you are?" McD: "No not necessarily, the longer you're around it, the more it comes back to 2 or 3 things every time that I've been around it, Jerry, so at the end of the day it usually comes down to gap integrity, fundamentals, technique"

I mean, it's totes legit to question the run defense and how it will cope with the Browns multiple weapons and multiple faceted game, as several others did, or to ask "OTAs and training camp focus on teaching gap integrity, fundamentals, and technique for run D, yet twice now you've had stretches of bad run defense midseason.  Why do you think these issues with fundamentals recur mid-season in your D?" but the way that question is asked and the slight emphasis on mind just kind of make it a tool question IMO.  McDermott must have a dog-eared page in his bible with a pinned in note "This verse means "Thou shalt not ever respond in a press conference "Why no!   No, I've never thought about it at all.  I spend all my time outside practice eating ice cream in bed while watching Simpsons reruns - Jerry.  "

Then there's the guy who went on with several statements and McDermott ended by looking a little puzzled and asking "your question?"  (,may have been different reporter:) "Do you feel you've fixed it?" McD: "Well, we'll see!"

I kind of like the reporter who outright asked "we keep hearing the words "gap integrity", can you explain to me what that means and what it looks like when it's right?"  I mean, it's a fairly basic, football defense 101 question, but it's fair to ask McD to clarify what he means by a term he keeps using so much.

"What did you learn about Baker as a person in the pre-draft process?"  McD: fillerfillerfiller, good process with all the QBs "He obviously went first overall and so a lot of people thought really highly of him....he's a very talented player"  Strip out the filler, that's a true Yiddish compliment.  "What do you think of Bluma's character?" "Bluma is a great cook!"

McDermott used the phrase "Damned good coach!" about Brown's DC ?.  Maybe in the locker or on the sideline, he unleashes his inner "football coach" and uses the standard language.

45 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The hell does that mean?

See above, I wrote up some of the context.  McD was asked if he thought he'd fixed the run defense problems.  He said "Well, we'll see!" and then expanded that identified problems don't go away during the season in the NFL, they have to remain a focus every game.  It also followed a general question about why has his run D sucked for a long stretch mid season 2 years in a row to which he replied "gap integrity, fundamentals, technique".

• Thank you (+1) 1

In Prime of Career, Has OBJ Become Irrelevant?

In other words, teams are expecting Beckham to want out since odds are the Browns will keep sucking in the near future.

That's mostly a joke (mostly), but Beckham's fit in Cleveland does face some structural hurdles. Some can be attributed to coach Freddie Kitchens, but Baker Mayfield's accuracy issues this season have greatly disturbed the Browns, as well, and his lack of accuracy can't be blamed solely on the offensive line.

According to NFL Research, Mayfield has the lowest passer rating in the NFL when not under pressure. He's the only quarterback with more interceptions than touchdown passes when not under pressure.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2861116-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-in-prime-of-career-has-obj-become-irrelevant?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Watched the Browns/Broncos condensed game -

Mayfield is very jittery in the pocket and I think only attempted one pass beyond the sticks.  If the pass rush can get close to him, he freaks out and is erratic.

On defense, once you get beyond their front 4, there's plenty of space.  Could have been Browns' plan to crowd the LOS against a green QB that badly backfired, because they are horrible tacklers.

Both teams looked bad, and if Bills simply play sound fundamentals, both of these teams can be easily beaten.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

The Browns suck!  Stop worrying so much. Now they are going to try n force the ball to Odell which should lead to an interception or 2

Any Given Sunday....

Week 3: Browns have 1st and goal on the Rams 4 yard line.  Four downs and an XP away from tieing the game. 

Week 8: The Browns dominated TOP last week against Denver and were 1 pass defense/different decision away from a possible 26-24 win in the 4Q. 

Very close to being a 4-4 team. 

As folks know, I don't like to play the "hypotheticals" game, but if we don't put them away, they will keep scrapping and are capable of driving and winning right to the end.   

They do have a lot of talent.  They can definitely be beat, even dominated.

A lot depends upon how our defense holds up and how our offensive game plan shapes up.

• Like (+1) 2

31-24 Browns, away game against a talented underachieving team with a dual threat running back combo kind of makes me very nervous about the game. I hope I am wrong but I think the Bills will need to put up some points to win this game and the Bills offense can do that but I just don't think they will. 

On 11/4/2019 at 7:22 AM, Seven-N-Nine said:

The Browns are the tire fire most NFL fans were hoping for. If their QB wasn't such a prick their poor season would not bring so many football fans so much glee.

Everytime he said or did something stupid kyle Brandt or some other idiot would say "and that's why we love Baker Mayfield!" I liked him coming out of college. But he is a baby.