Week 10: Bills at Browns

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, eball said:

"Jauron ball" runs those plays from 1st and goal at the 2 in the first quarter?

You guys crack me up.  No, McD is not some crazily aggressive coach but he's also not playing "not to lose."  People keep forgetting that this offense is brand new and it takes time to develop an identity.

It's So Tier. In the pantheon of negative idiots, he's like Apollo to ScottLaw's Zeus.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Gore had 4 runs for zero, one for a -3, and one for one yard.  Can someone think of a jumbo formation or something.  Last Year we would have put Kyle in at Fullback as lead blocker, is that something that our #1 draft pick Ed Oliver could do to earn his salary, He seems to have the size and quickness.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills not only covered the spread yesterday with 5 points to spare but they beat the skins by more (15) than their average margin of loss (12). I don’t know if people want 30 point victories but that’s not normal in the NFL. This wasn’t Clemson - Wofford. 

Also, I wish people would acknowledge that the Redskins defense is actually decent and possessing a pretty talented front seven (Kerrigan, Sweat, Payne, and Allen) along with Landon Collins. In the previous three games, they didn't allow the opponent to get 20 points, including on the road at Minnesota. 

4 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Gore had 4 runs for zero, one for a -3, and one for one yard.  Can someone think of a jumbo formation or something.  Last Year we would have put Kyle in at Fullback as lead blocker, is that something that our #1 draft pick Ed Oliver could do to earn his salary, He seems to have the size and quickness.

The problem on those plays is that the DTs on Washington (Payne and Allen) have blue-chip level talent, and pretty much dominated the o-lineman they faced on those plays. Generally speaking, in the NFL the best line athletes play defense, and the worst ones play interior o-line. Mitch Morse is a good pass blocker, but in a low-man leverage competition against Da'Ron Payne, he is going to lose every time (which is what happened yesterday)--particularly on plays where Payne can sell out because he knows exactly what's coming (because the Bills short yardage playcalling is so predictable).

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Browns -2.5

Browns winless at home

Bills undefeated on the road 

Does anyone know if Elias Sports Bureau has stats on when was the last time a 2-6 team was favored over a 6-2 team?  I could see it in college, but not in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if this were the first time in NFL history.

Sorry if someone already posted this question.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Also, I wish people would acknowledge that the Redskins defense is actually decent and possessing a pretty talented front seven (Kerrigan, Sweat, Payne, and Allen) along with Landon Collins. In the previous three games, they didn't allow the opponent to get 20 points, including on the road at Minnesota. 

The problem on those plays is that the DTs on Washington (Payne and Allen) have blue-chip level talent, and pretty much dominated the o-lineman they faced on those plays. Generally speaking, in the NFL the best line athletes play defense, and the worst ones play interior o-line. Mitch Morse is a good pass blocker, but in a low-man leverage competition against Da'Ron Payne, he is going to lose every time (which is what happened yesterday)--particularly on plays where Payne can sell out because he knows exactly what's coming (because the Bills short yardage playcalling is so predictable).

The redskins defense was discussed before the game but no one paid attention because they were focused on their record and laughing about Haskins. It wasn’t an ideal 1st start for Haskins to go to Buffalo but he finally got first team reps all week and I thought their game plan for him was sound. I give Callahan credit for not giving him too much but letting him throw high percentage passes. The difference was the Bills were the better team. Maybe not 30 points better but 15 points better. Not many teams are 30 points better than the other in the Nfl. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

The redskins defense was discussed before the game but no one paid attention because they were focused on their record and laughing about Haskins. It wasn’t an ideal 1st start for Haskins to go to Buffalo but he finally got first team reps all week and I thought their game plan for him was sound. I give Callahan credit for not giving him too much but letting him throw high percentage passes. The difference was the Bills were the better team. Maybe not 30 points better but 15 points better. Not many teams are 30 points better than the other in the Nfl. 

Agreed, although I was pretty unimpressed by Haskins. He made one or two nice relatively short range out pattern throws, but they were basically all gimmes that the Bills were happy to concede. He only challenged them twice beyond the initial secondary wall, and overthrew it once and got stoned the other time (by Taron Johnson in the EZ). Playing like that will get you to midfield, but it's not a recipe for scoring TDs. I do realize he's a rookie with very little experience, but that just suggests to me that he should never have been taken in the first round. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Agreed, although I was pretty unimpressed by Haskins. He made one or two nice relatively short range out pattern throws, but they were basically all gimmes that the Bills were happy to concede. He only challenged them twice beyond the initial secondary wall, and overthrew it once and got stoned the other time (by Taron Johnson in the EZ). Playing like that will get you to midfield, but it's not a recipe for scoring TDs. I do realize he's a rookie with very little experience, but that just suggests to me that he should never have been taken in the first round. 

I felt differently.  I thought he hung in there in the pocket and made some decent reads and throws.  Not bad for a rookie in his first start.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I was impressed with Callahan, not Haskins. He didn’t set him up to fall on his face. I didn’t expect much from him in Haskins in his first start but was expecting him to look flustered and turn the ball over which he didn’t. Callahan tried to hide him essentially. People may be down on the Bills D but their pass D is one of the best in league and not really one you want to face in your first start.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I felt differently.  I thought he hung in there in the pocket and made some decent reads and throws.  Not bad for a rookie in his first start.

The throws were decent enough, but collectively they amount to super-conservative, take-no-chances passing that simply won't win you games in the NFL. A standard-issue, pro-style running game isn't good enough to win in the NFL (or even get you TDs) even if it's strong, and that's all the Redskins have. 

• Like (+1) 2

Buffalo's struggles with the run game are going to either improve or the flood gates will open.  They honestly do a good job on like 10/30 carries a game where they're limiting carries to like 1 yard or less.  It's the 3-5 yarders turning into 10+ that they need to fix.  Peterson had at least 3-5 carries that should've been like 3 or less that turned into significantly more.  

If they can keep the browns behind the sticks... let them get penalties and turnovers, shoot themselves in the foot etc.  Cleveland doesn't seem confident in their ability to attack down the field either, so Buffalo has gotta play sound on defense and they should be right in this game.  

Offensively - Buffalo can't turn it over... Take what they give you.  They have talent on defense, but its another situation where the sum is less than the parts.  Pass rushing they are great, but their LBs aren't.  I'd be running jet action on almost every play to get their eyes moving.  Pound the rock and try and catch them with some play action.  

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I was impressed with Callahan, not Haskins. He didn’t set him up to fall on his face. I didn’t expect much from him in Haskins in his first start but was expecting him to look flustered and turn the ball over which he didn’t. Callahan tried to hide him essentially. 

Yes, excellent point. 

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Anyone else concerned about Levi Wallace getting torched by Landry?  I'm assuming Beckham will be followed by White all game

I’m way more concerned with Nick Chubb!

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The reason this is a tricky match up is that the Browns have a lot of talent. What they lack is structure, organisation, scheme, leadership and humility.

That's the problem.  They are Dr Jekyll (good) and Mr Hyde (bad), though mostly the latter.  However, they still have that potential to do what they did to the Ravens....

• Like (+1) 1