8 games in and the Bills control their own destiny to the #1 seed

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I thought the OP meant the #5 seed when he used #1 seed in the thread title.

As in, we will be the best of the wildcard teams.

No, he actually meant #1?

Come on man!  Get out of here!

His optimism is enlightening. I highly doubt we win out personally but can see another 6-2 2nd half getting us to 12-4.

Anything is possible with that kind of record. 

52 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Keep in mind, this is the same OP who brought us this gem...

Yep.

And I was wrong there.

Allen has really improved, but I think Daboll and the gameplans are designed to hold him back.  I thought Daboll might have legitimately been the next offensive genius, but instead he's just an inconsistent, often conservative and sometimes downright awful playcaller.

No worries, I own being wrong there and the 2 bets I made to @GunnerBill and @Foxx I concede their victories already.

Nonetheless, the OP here is correct.  Bills control their destiny to the #1 seed at this point, and considering we're halfway through the season and that we were 2-6 at this point last year, that's an amazing thing.

Personally, I don't think we will be the #1 seed.  I think we'll be 11-5, maybe 12-4 and the #5 seed.

But that doesn't change that we have a clear path to homefield advantage throughout the playoffs... though with the way Buffalo plays at home, I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing.

9 hours ago, H2o said:

I mean, technically, we do control our own destiny, but at the same time I think we can be realistic in recognizing we're not going to run the table. I love our team and how it's being built. I think we have our franchise QB. Our defense has shown some scary susceptibility to the run the last three weeks though and Levi has been getting burnt pretty regularly. They got it together in the 2nd half yesterday, but we have a lot of upper tier RB's remaining on our schedule. With Daboll calling the plays, having these "wtf" stretches in games, I don't see us being able to beat every team remaining on the schedule. I just don't. The defense is good, but can they continue to hold teams to 14-20 pts a game for 8 more weeks? I doubt it. There will probably be another couple performances where the offense needs to put up 30+ to win and I don't trust Daboll to call games where we do that, win a shootout so to speak. 

I disagree with your assessment of Levi.

He's been targeted a lot and he is giving up receptions, but he's not getting burnt. Very few times this year have I seen him give up big plays.

Just now, Mark Vader said:

I disagree with your assessment of Levi.

He's been targeted a lot and he is giving up receptions, but he's not getting burnt. Very few times this year have I seen him give up big plays.

Yeah, maybe I should change my wording a bit. He's not getting beaten deep or anything, but he is getting targeted a lot and routinely gives up first downs the last few weeks it seems. 

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Yeah, maybe I should change my wording a bit. He's not getting beaten deep or anything, but he is getting targeted a lot and routinely gives up first downs the last few weeks it seems. 

Bills play a lot of zone, and he’s on the opposite side of White. He’s going to get worked on a bit, and the Bills scheme has him playing off a decent amount. Their scheme is built around not giving up the deep pass, and it’s not something I’d bank on them changing. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

This is true. He's given up first downs, but he almost always makes the tackle after reception.

It is concerning, but for a 2nd year undrafted player, he's doing pretty good.

Kevin Johnson is there to step in if things get bad, but so far the coaching staff has not made that move.

13 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Lol

I'm guessing you don't agree with the OP

I knew this was coming for the Pats. They haven't been playing as well as their record indicates. Brady has been chucking up some real duds every week. Ones that people would be bashing Allen for, had he thrown them.

It will be really exciting if week 17 decides the division champ.

Won't that be week 16?

that game has a decent chance of being flexed.

13 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Also... if we were considering this a 3 team race to the 1 seed with the Ravens, Bills and Patriots, well here are their opponents remaining records, not including the games they play each other (meaning I'm excluding the Bills from the Patriots schedule, vice versa, and the Bills from the Ravens schedule and vice versa)

Ravens opponents: 45.6% win %

Patriots opponents: 44% win %

Bills opponents: 31.3% win %

What about Texans and Chiefs? Wouldn't they have something to say about this race to 1st seed?

9 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

and have struggled in every game

This is not true at all. We led the Redskins by at least 1 score from start to finish. The Giants got an early lead and then we easily pulled away with them - if that game counts as struggling, then the Eagles struggled against us. We have not completely dominated a team from top to bottom yet but that's a pretty lofty expectation. 

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is not true at all. We led the Redskins by at least 1 score from start to finish. The Giants got an early lead and then we easily pulled away with them - if that game counts as struggling, then the Eagles struggled against us. We have not completely dominated a team from top to bottom yet but that's a pretty lofty expectation. 

I would say any time a team is within a score in the 4th quarter the game is in doubt. Giants game was barely in doubt - they got it within 7 but Bills answered. WAS game was within 8 in the 4th and Bills D had to hold them twice, so yes that is in doubt. 

Edited by ngbills

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yep.

And I was wrong there.

Allen has really improved, but I think Daboll and the gameplans are designed to hold him back.  I thought Daboll might have legitimately been the next offensive genius, but instead he's just an inconsistent, often conservative and sometimes downright awful playcaller.

No worries, I own being wrong there and the 2 bets I made to @GunnerBill and @Foxx I concede their victories already.

Nonetheless, the OP here is correct.  Bills control their destiny to the #1 seed at this point, and considering we're halfway through the season and that we were 2-6 at this point last year, that's an amazing thing.

Personally, I don't think we will be the #1 seed.  I think we'll be 11-5, maybe 12-4 and the #5 seed.

But that doesn't change that we have a clear path to homefield advantage throughout the playoffs... though with the way Buffalo plays at home, I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing.

thanks but it is a bit premature to concede here, we still have half the season left to play out and who knows, anything can and will happen. had Luck not retired and Rothelisberger had a season ending injury, i'd say conceding might be appropriate at this time. however....

as it stands right now; Watson, Jackson, Mahomes (i am assuming he will pick up where he left off before being injured), Rivers, Brady and possibly even Carr are the leading candidates i would think.  Jackson with his style of play, could get injured at any point. same with Watson, though, to a lessor extent. Rivers and Brady have definitely seen better days and it remains to be seen if they can maintain the hall of fame play that they are known for to this point. Mahomes hasn't returned from his injury as yet so he is a bit of a wildcard right now. Carr, it is anyone's guess which way he trends from week to week. Allen could always keep improving and make it to one of the two reserve status QB's.

i think we should have a better idea in about 4/5 weeks or so.

Edited by Foxx

15 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

If the bills win out, and the pats win out, then we still have 2 losses to their 1. So how do we control our own destiny? Don’t we need the pats to lose at least 1-2 more games to have a shot at the 1 seed? I’ll hang up and listen.

I take It you aren't too big of a football fan?