The problem with the Browns in a nut shell

5 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I wonder how it was "a perspective thing" when you could count with your thumbs how many Pat's personnel were past the line at any given time vs about half of the Browns crew.

Remember when the Jets were having their staff form riot lines right up on the sideline to mess with opposing players?  Very much an organization/culture/coaching issue.

like when i went to a major college's home games for years

they got off the bus in jacket and tie, with some personal adaptations

the other team got off in disarray wearing t-shirts and pajamas, smoking a joint and a gun visible on the beltline...  :D

the home team won usually...

The Browns are victims of their player generated hype machine.  ImaBe.... not so fast lads!  Too many TV ads, Hard Knocks exposure has led to the players seemingly pandering to media first, team second.

Kitchens had his chance to quash it and didn't so now he deals with backlash of such a culture

Just now, freddyjj said:

The Browns are victims of their player generated hype machine.  ImaBe.... not so fast lads!  Too many TV ads, Hard Knocks exposure has led to the players seemingly pandering to media first, team second.

Kitchens had his chance to quash it and didn't so now he deals with backlash of such a culture

they send out magic pixie dust that make fans lose their minds and lovey-dovey predict by the millions that this is the year they dominate and win the Super Bowl

every freaking year...

might as well start the:

Brownies a total lock for the 2020 AFC Championship

thread right now

• Haha (+1) 1

What? So if there's one guy out of place, they go 0-16?

Details matter my ass. The only details that mattered in their win at Buffalo was Harmon holding up Josh Allen, and Jones coming in to spear him. If the Bills just roll over, and don't do it back to them, you know the league is run by the agents. The richest guys on all the teams have the same agents, and they just always do what's going to make them the most money.

It's like everything. Make money churning people, driving people down and all that matters is what you can get by with.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:32 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

Shoes.thumb.jpg.d6b5ed391dd48901bdd0d7c24b88af68.jpg

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11/why-odell-beckham-jr-and-jarvis-landry-were-told-to-change-their-cleats-at-halftime-vs-broncos.html

OBJ and Landry came out today with their special "LOOK AT ME!!!" shoes.  They had to change them at halftime in order to come back out onto the field.  Another distraction on a team that doesn't need any distractions.

There are too many Browns players thinking about themselves and their "brand".  There is too much talent on that team in a weak AFC this year to be sitting at 2-6.  I know a lot of people here down play McDermott's "Process",  but does anyone think for a second that those shoes get on the field attached to the feet of a Buffalo Bill?  McDermott is building a team.  The Browns are a collection of talented players.  

It's one of the major reasons one team is heading into Week 10 at 6-2, and the other is sitting at 2-6.

Culture sucks and is so very important.  Bad culture can make superior talent look bad, and visa versa.

Just now, Pokebball said:

Culture sucks and is so very important.  Bad culture can make superior talent look bad, and visa versa.

gotta have discipline, not pick up those needless offside/encroachment penalties, or those brainless personal fouls that ruin a game you had a chance to win

I think the problem is the organizational structure. Same as the Jets, same as the Redskins.

When McDermott was hired he came in and was allowed to be the head of the organization. He had enough experience, an innate ability to lead a group of men (and come on, these guys are all intense, type A, world class athletes, who have dominated at every level of competition their whole lives), and a knowledge of how to structure the coaching staff and who he wanted to run management as well.

The Browns with Kitchens, Jets with Gase and Redskins with... well, who the hell knows, don’t seem to have the same structure. They bring guys in based more on raw talent, disregarding scheme fit, and don’t know how to handle their players in the proper fashion. The Bills have gotten their players to “buy in”, that is the most important thing. They all have the same vision for where they want the team to go. 

• Like (+1) 3

The problem with the Browns is a combination of a tough early schedule and bad coaching. The Browns are as talented as the Bills in my opinion (the whole "on paper" argument) but the Browns have had tougher opponents and aren't as well coached. 

Coaching in the NFL isn't just the typical things we associate with coaching, things like being prepared to play, penalties, and situational awareness along with game planning. It is also having the right schemes and talents suited for the scheme. Cohesion in talent and scheme is insanely important to a teams success. Then there is just the culture that surrounds a team and allows them to bounce back from adversity. There is a reason that players "playing hard" is considered to be at least a sign of good coaching. 

The NFL is more than just accumulating talent. Almost any coach needs a degree of talent to win. And talent needs good coaching to win. The Browns are learning the hard way how important coaching is. Their skill position talent is among the best in the league, their QB is a young top pick coming off a successful rookie year, their defense has a lot of talented players including a lockdown corner and a prime time pass rusher. 

Yet they sit at 2-6. Their schedule can be to blame in part of that but they lost to the Broncos and Titans both of whom aren't world beaters. This team is a mess and honestly it is do or die for them on Sunday at home. They can looking at their schedule (2 games against the Bengals, 1 game against the Fins, and games against the Cards and Steelers) they can go 6-1 to end the season and finish with 9 wins which gives them a shot at the playoffs. 

But if they go 2-7 the best they can finish is 8-8 which won't make the playoffs and will end their season more than likely disappointingly. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The problem with the Browns is a combination of a tough early schedule and bad coaching. The Browns are as talented as the Bills in my opinion (the whole "on paper" argument) but the Browns have had tougher opponents and aren't as well coached. 

Coaching in the NFL isn't just the typical things we associate with coaching, things like being prepared to play, penalties, and situational awareness along with game planning. It is also having the right schemes and talents suited for the scheme. Cohesion in talent and scheme is insanely important to a teams success. Then there is just the culture that surrounds a team and allows them to bounce back from adversity. There is a reason that players "playing hard" is considered to be at least a sign of good coaching. 

The NFL is more than just accumulating talent. Almost any coach needs a degree of talent to win. And talent needs good coaching to win. The Browns are learning the hard way how important coaching is. Their skill position talent is among the best in the league, their QB is a young top pick coming off a successful rookie year, their defense has a lot of talented players including a lockdown corner and a prime time pass rusher. 

Yet they sit at 2-6. Their schedule can be to blame in part of that but they lost to the Broncos and Titans both of whom aren't world beaters. This team is a mess and honestly it is do or die for them on Sunday at home. They can looking at their schedule (2 games against the Bengals, 1 game against the Fins, and games against the Cards and Steelers) they can go 6-1 to end the season and finish with 9 wins which gives them a shot at the playoffs. 

But if they go 2-7 the best they can finish is 8-8 which won't make the playoffs and will end their season more than likely disappointingly. 

accumulating talent would be a good start for a team

not sure where the Browns have all this awesome GOAT talent right now

must be the same people trying to explain why they picked the Browns to win the AFC title game with no sweat   :D

They basically let Mayfield pick Kitchens as HC. Mayfield p*ssed and moaned about Jackson and then when they had some success with Kitchens calling the shots, Mayfield expressed his desire to see him be their HC. First time head coach with a team full of monster egos, not the greatest recipe. People point to the success the 90s Bills had with all the egos on that team, but the difference there is that those guys wanted to prove to their teammates that they could back up their talk and show that they were leaving it all out there for them. That doesn't seem to be the case with Cleveland. 

I can't say I'd be surprised if they miraculously "put it all together" against the Bills this week, sometimes that just seems to happen against them. Bills need to roll the film of the 49ers game that Cleveland lost 31-3. SF just pressured Mayfield all game and never gave him time to throw. 

On 11/3/2019 at 9:47 PM, YoloinOhio said:

One of their safeties Jermaine Whitehead threatened Cleveland radio host Dustin fox and some fans on twitter and got his account suspended. Fox was on the post game show saying he called the police. He was stuttering and total mess worried for his life. November in Berea!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wkyc.com/amp/article/sports/nfl/browns/browns-s-jermaine-whitehead-gets-twitter-account-suspended-after-threatening-radio-host/95-cede4c6a-f16f-4029-aa16-df47b8936328

So he can tweet 'cracker' but the N-word would get any player suspended?

On 11/3/2019 at 8:43 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  They went after a bunch of weapons and neglected the OL

Not only neglected the OL they’ve traded they’re best OL/men to the Giants if I’m not mistaken 

Just now, Putin said:

Not only neglected the OL they’ve traded they’re best OL/men to the Giants if I’m not mistaken 

everyone tells me the OL has to be a top priority, but do they really pursue this when they have the opportunity?

nope....

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

I think the problem is the organizational structure.

When McDermott was hired he came in and was allowed to be the head of the organization. He had enough experience, an innate ability to lead a group of men (and come on, these guys are all intense, type A, world class athletes, who have dominated at every level of competition their whole lives), and a knowledge of how to structure the coaching staff and who he wanted to run management as well.

McD seems a solid candidate to built a legit contender.  This will work as long as they like him and it seems to be improving.

I give it another 2 years at this rate.

Just now, row_33 said:

everyone tells me the OL has to be a top priority, but do they really pursue this when they have the opportunity?

nope....

IMO the OL & DL should be looked at and upgraded before any ANYTHING 

No. Their problem is not shoes. Sounds like a Colin Cowherd premise.

Their coach had no resume coming in and that bunch of players is arguably the toughest HC job in the NFL. Makes you appreciate how Tomlin was able to reign in the egos he was working with for so long.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

On 11/3/2019 at 8:32 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

Shoes.thumb.jpg.d6b5ed391dd48901bdd0d7c24b88af68.jpg

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11/why-odell-beckham-jr-and-jarvis-landry-were-told-to-change-their-cleats-at-halftime-vs-broncos.html

OBJ and Landry came out today with their special "LOOK AT ME!!!" shoes.  They had to change them at halftime in order to come back out onto the field.  Another distraction on a team that doesn't need any distractions.

There are too many Browns players thinking about themselves and their "brand".  There is too much talent on that team in a weak AFC this year to be sitting at 2-6.  I know a lot of people here down play McDermott's "Process",  but does anyone think for a second that those shoes get on the field attached to the feet of a Buffalo Bill?  McDermott is building a team.  The Browns are a collection of talented players.  

It's one of the major reasons one team is heading into Week 10 at 6-2, and the other is sitting at 2-6.

And yet somehow we're still the underdogs lol.

I still don't see an easy game left on our schedule with the way the Bills play. 

Under normal circumstances, a young QB beating a good team would be considered a "signature win." But that just doesn't seem possible with this schedule or the way we play, so the next best thing is to beat up on a lesser team to get your "signature win." I'd like to see Allen do that this weekend. Time to show you're more than a turnover prone, 200 yard passer who struggles to throw deep.

Beat down the Browns and prove this 6-2 team can actually lay a beating on somebody.