A question about rules

I'm not & don't pretend to be hyper-familiar with the NFL rulebook. But I would like to hear about that incomplete pass to John Brown where the defender (Josh Norman?) had his ankles wrapped up while #15 was up for the catch. 

Was that a legitimate non-call for DPI? 

Thanks! 

Questionable, I’d lean toward early contact. 

More importantly, JA should never assume a penalty and just toss it up there, esp. on 3rd down. Seeing ghost flags. 

Edited by Chill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think it was a pretty clear piece of pass interference, but I don't fault McDermott for not challenging...

The way things have gone this year, teams are not getting that call, even though in this case, we should have.

It's another good example of how far from "perfect" or "getting it right" the NFL is, even with all the review/replay/challenge crap.

I wish they would scrap it all tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

They would have never overturned that on a challenge. But it wouldn’t have been unreasonable to call it in real time.

regardless, Brown should have caught it. He had two really bad drops today. 

Come, on..... The contact clearly pulled him away from the ball. Watching it live it was obvious. Even more so on replay.

I agree on Brown’s drop with Allen rolling to the right......But even after that, Brown made a great grab on the 3rd and long in which he had to climb the ladder.

Brown had one bad drop today (and made up for later).  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, KellyToTasker said:

Come, on..... The contact clearly pulled him away from the ball. Watching it live it was obvious. Even more so on replay.

I agree on Brown’s drop with Allen rolling to the right......But even after that, Brown made a great grab on the 3rd and long in which he had to climb the ladder.

Brown had one bad drop today (and made up for later).  

Yeah, you might be right on the “PI play”— but when I saw it replayed a few times, looks like it went right through his hands and that he should have caught it. But maybe getting pulled on caused him to lose focus. 

4 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Yeah, you might be right on the “PI play”— but when I saw it replayed a few times, looks like it went right through his hands and that he should have caught it. But maybe getting pulled on caused him to lose focus. 

It is really hard to catch a ball while your feet are being pulled out from under you- I am usually a WR must catch a ball guy but that one is virtually impossible to blame WR 

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

His body shifted in a direction away from the ball due to the early hit by the DB. It’s wasn’t about losing focus. He wanted to do one thing, the DB had him do another. It was a rough call that didn’t go the Bills way. 

41 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

That was clear, unambiguous PI.  Replay would not have overturned it because the replay officials are refusing to do their jobs.

So exactly who does decide on these things. Is it a guy an NY who says yes or no?  Or does the ref on the field decide whether to reverse his call or not?  I thought a guy in NY decided this is worth looking at some more, but then up to the ref on the field.

The prevailing opinion is refs don't want to be second guessed on judgement calls so are not over turning anything.  But if it's a guy in NY who's only job is to uphold or over turn replays then why wouldn't he over turn them?  I'd think he'd be worried about being fired for not over turning obvious ones or for that matter pretty much anything. 

And it the call is 100% decided by some guy in NY, then why does the referee on the field even go under the hood to look at it? He could just stand in the  middle of the field and the guy in NY could whisper in his ear what to do.

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

You get get pulled down on a jump to catch affects you.

it was PI