Ed Oliver first half grade

Big Blitz

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....very fair assessment.......and I agree...BUT....we are in the "TBD House Of Unreasonable Expectations" for ANYBODY drafted in the 1st.....the "he sucks" label is awarded quickly...."Too Small" Ed and Josh come to mind......of course there is little or no difference between the collegiate game versus the NFL, right?......hell I'd stay in school and get TWO Masters and a PhD before wanting to be drafted by OBD and face this "firing squad"...SMH...

The instantaneous judgement of draft picks is so ridiculous. Eight games in and many fans are ready to declare a player a bust. It's madness.

Just now, Logic said:

The instantaneous judgement of draft picks is so ridiculous. Eight games in and many fans are ready to declare a player a bust. It's madness.

....the TBD cache of 3,842 budding GM's with resumes' in hand tend to lash out because no club calls them for an interview...that would be NFL, AAF, XFL, Lingerie League, Pop Warner, Lackawanna HS et al.......it is disheartening waiting for the phone to ring.....

• Haha (+1) 1

When I first opened this thread I noticed members names that are not usually  seen here except when being hyper critical about some aspect of the team. Then they disappear again.  Which is good... ?

Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

When I first opened this thread I noticed members names that are not usually  seen here except when being hyper critical about some aspect of the team. Then they disappear again.  Which is good... ?

Go Bills!!!

Let’s not forget the hyper micromanagers who feel it’s appropriate to bring this to our attention...?

Go Bills!!! 

4 minutes ago, Chill said:

Let’s not forget the hyper micromanagers who feel it’s appropriate to bring this to our attention...?

Go Bills!!! 

Just a quick observation Sheila,  I guess the shoe fits... hope it not to tight..

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

26 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Just a quick observation Sheila,  I guess the shoe fits... hope it not to tight..

Go Bills!!!

What’s next, are you going to start fixing spelling errors?  
Stop trying to control the board. Thanks.

Go Bills!! 

Edited by Chill
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chill said:

What’s next, are you going to start fixing spelling errors?  
Stop trying to control the board. Thanks.

Go Bills!! 

Okay 

11 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I hear you. I think we can all spot a truly A+ difference maker, like an Aaron Donald. And Oliver hasn’t been that. I just don’t know how much of our problems can be attributed to him, what he has been asked to do, and even what he’s been really good/bad with.

I just don’t feel super confident with that particular position to judge anyone. (Case in point is that recent Star article, where apparently the Bills think he has been doing a great job!)

Sure, everyone can spot the difference maker AFTER they start making a difference, but no one thought Aaron Donald was going to be THIS good. If so, he would’ve been the top pick in his draft, not someone drafted in the teens

• Like (+1) 1

Instead of making a new thread will keep this going.

He didn't even register a tackle today and only played like 1/3rd the D snaps last week. I seen him on the field once today on the crazy 50 play goal line stance.

Is he injured? In the dog house? Coaching giving up on him?  I'm "concerned" at this point.  I would love to here some insight from anybody or McD on this 1st rd pick. 

Edited by Real McCoy

18 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Instead of making a new thread will keep this going.

He didn't even register a tackle today and only played like 1/3rd the D snaps last week. I seen him on the field once today on the crazy goal 50play goal line stance.

Is he injured? In the dog house? Coaching giving up on him?  I'm "concerned" at this point.  I would love to here some insight from anybody or McD on this 1st rd pick. 

I think Oliver is just not very good against the run.  He needs to bulk up and get stronger as he gets dominated by the OG.  Oliver hasn't been a factor in the pass rush, either.  So between him being a rookie and a little undersized, Oliver isn't making any type of impact, hence decreased playing time.

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think Oliver is just not very good against the run.  He needs to bulk up and get stronger as he gets dominated by the OG.  Oliver hasn't been a factor in the pass rush, either.  So between him being a rookie and a little undersized, Oliver isn't making any type of impact, hence decreased playing time.

This is most likely what is going down. This is a really bad look for our FO, aside from the QB position you don't draft 1st rd D lineman as development player. 

Is he a bust or what? if not he needs to play.

Should have drafted Metcalf. 

Edited by Real McCoy

Just now, Real McCoy said:

This is most likely what is going down. This is a really bad look for our FA, aside from the QB position you don't draft 1st rd D lineman as development player. 

FO? Yeah and Ford. 

On 11/3/2019 at 5:54 PM, Big Blitz said:

First today---I tried to pay attention to him more....it looked like we cut his snaps.  Do we have a count from the game? 

But anyway overall I see a guy that just doesn't get off his blocks.  He does a good job eating space and being tough to move.....but you can work around that in the NFL where they have no problem with that so long as it's one on one.  Double team space eating is what you want.  His get off really is phenomenal.  But you can trap and attack that.  I think that's happened a bunch and it's just a fixable issue with coaching.  

So far, and please post clips whatever you got but I don't see too many double teams lately.  And obviously teams have found something when it comes to running on us.  Our DTs are going to have to turn it up with the teams we've got coming up.    

Overall I'd grade the first half of his rookie season as a C-.  Definitely going to get better with experience.  Like Allen, he's had to adjust to much stiffer competition.  

C-   Wow great value for the #9 pick

4 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

This is most likely what is going down. This is a really bad look for our FA, aside from the QB position you don't draft 1st rd D lineman as development player. 

Is he a bust?  Too early to say that.  I don't think Kyle did much (QB sacks) until late in his second or third year.

I think it is clear that the FO and coaches were expecting more from Ed Oliver than what he has delivered.  Some of it also falls into McD's scheme and who lines up with Oliver since he cannot generate a pass rush by himself.

I think we should have drafted a bigger one tech DT.

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Is he a bust?  Too early to say that.  I don't think Kyle did much (QB sacks) until late in his second or third year.

I think it is clear that the FO and coaches were expecting more from Ed Oliver than what he has delivered.  Some of it also falls into McD's scheme and who lines up with Oliver since he cannot generate a pass rush by himself.

I think we should have drafted a bigger one tech DT.

True but Kyle being a 5th rounder offsets that I think. I guess my expectations are too high. I expect a top 10 draft pick to immediately step in and be a impact player for our D. 

I'm probably being way to critical. I typically support giving the player time but this just feels off after the last couple weeks.