Ed Oliver first half grade

Big Blitz

22 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

First today---I tried to pay attention to him more....it looked like we cut his snaps.  Do we have a count from the game? 

But anyway overall I see a guy that just doesn't get off his blocks.  He does a good job eating space and being tough to move.....but you can work around that in the NFL where they have no problem with that so long as it's one on one.  Double team space eating is what you want.  His get off really is phenomenal.  But you can trap and attack that.  I think that's happened a bunch and it's just a fixable issue with coaching.  

So far, and please post clips whatever you got but I don't see too many double teams lately.  And obviously teams have found something when it comes to running on us.  Our DTs are going to have to turn it up with the teams we've got coming up.    

Overall I'd grade the first half of his rookie season as a C-.  Definitely going to get better with experience.  Like Allen, he's had to adjust to much stiffer competition.  

He just has not been very good.  He did nothing today.  I noticed that on 2 Petersen’s big runs in the first run, Oliver was blown off the ball.  I

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He just has not been very good.  He did nothing today.  I noticed that on 2 Petersen’s big runs in the first run, Oliver was blown off the ball.  I

I actually did NOT see him get blown off the ball.....he just didnt make the play.

I think the real problem is he hasnt been our best DT when we drafted him so high....Jordan Phillips has been a monster and deserves to get paid....Oliver is doing more then the DT that was drafted ahead of him in this last draft.

He has been good against the run....but we all know that is not enough for such a high pick....also need to remember he is a rookie.   He needs to continue to work on his pass rush technique.

5 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

How many people in this thread actually know what is happening on the field, has watched every one of his plays on A22 and aren't just basing things off the stat sheet? Just need to know who to actually listen to.

You also did not ask about what his assignment is for each play- which is very important. He might be doing one job very well but not another and we will never know 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

First today---I tried to pay attention to him more....it looked like we cut his snaps.  Do we have a count from the game? 

But anyway overall I see a guy that just doesn't get off his blocks.  He does a good job eating space and being tough to move.....but you can work around that in the NFL where they have no problem with that so long as it's one on one.  Double team space eating is what you want.  His get off really is phenomenal.  But you can trap and attack that.  I think that's happened a bunch and it's just a fixable issue with coaching.  

So far, and please post clips whatever you got but I don't see too many double teams lately.  And obviously teams have found something when it comes to running on us.  Our DTs are going to have to turn it up with the teams we've got coming up.    

Overall I'd grade the first half of his rookie season as a C-.  Definitely going to get better with experience.  Like Allen, he's had to adjust to much stiffer competition.  

He's out of position like Edmunds. Ed is too small to be a 1tech dt and not quite fast enough (yet) to be a pass rushing de. He will get better but we have to find him a spot?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's out of position like Edmunds. Ed is too small to be a 1tech dt and not quite fast enough (yet) to be a pass rushing de. He will get better but we have to find him a spot?

Maybe we could convert him to WR, to take the place of the guy we SHOULD have taken in the first?

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think you are correct- right now his quickness is being neutralized too often by one lineman.

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He’s not a defensive end.  He’s not out of position, he’s a rookie.  He’s made impacts that don’t show up on the stat sheet which is why he’s been the consistent leader in snaps among DT’s.  We went with size today.

• Like (+1) 4

The people thinking he was going to be Aaron Donald right out of the gate clearly didn’t watch Ed or Aaron in college. 

Aaron was polished as a pass rusher coming out. His technique and pass rush moves were very good to go along with elite athleticism. 

Ed played out of position and relied a lot on his bull rush and athleticism. His pass rush technique and moves are very raw.

Ed needs to work on them a lot but he does show flashes that he can do it. He’s a rookie at a tough position on top of being raw. He has the strength and athleticism, just needs to learn and continue to add to his game. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

The guy I've been harping about since draft day: Metcalf.

I think Oliver will be fine.  I liked the pick.  Always love building in the trenches first.

But yea if we all had it over again I think 80 percent of us would say DK.  

Absolutely nothing against Oliver.  Just saying this offense desperately needs his prototype at WR.  

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

The people thinking he was going to be Aaron Donald right out of the gate clearly didn’t watch Ed or Aaron in college. 

Aaron was polished as a pass rusher coming out. His technique and pass rush moves were very good to go along with elite athleticism. 

Ed played out of position and relied a lot on his bull rush and athleticism. His pass rush technique and moves are very raw.

Ed needs to work on them a lot but he does show flashes that he can do it. He’s a rookie at a tough position on top of being raw. He has the strength and athleticism, just needs to learn and continue to add to his game. 

Agree with this 100 percent.  Still see the talent there. 

• Like (+1) 1