Ed Oliver first half grade

Big Blitz

First today---I tried to pay attention to him more....it looked like we cut his snaps.  Do we have a count from the game? 

But anyway overall I see a guy that just doesn't get off his blocks.  He does a good job eating space and being tough to move.....but you can work around that in the NFL where they have no problem with that so long as it's one on one.  Double team space eating is what you want.  His get off really is phenomenal.  But you can trap and attack that.  I think that's happened a bunch and it's just a fixable issue with coaching.  

So far, and please post clips whatever you got but I don't see too many double teams lately.  And obviously teams have found something when it comes to running on us.  Our DTs are going to have to turn it up with the teams we've got coming up.    

Overall I'd grade the first half of his rookie season as a C-.  Definitely going to get better with experience.  Like Allen, he's had to adjust to much stiffer competition.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

First today---I tried to pay attention to him more....it looked like we cut his snaps.  Do we have a count from the game? 

But anyway overall I see a guy that just doesn't get off his blocks.  He does a good job eating space and being tough to move.....but you can work around that in the NFL where they have no problem with that so long as it's one on one.  Double team space eating is what you want.  His get off really is phenomenal.  But you can trap and attack that.  I think that's happened a bunch and it's just a fixable issue with coaching.  

So far, and please post clips whatever you got but I don't see too many double teams lately.  And obviously teams have found something when it comes to running on us.  Our DTs are going to have to turn it up with the teams we've got coming up.    

Overall I'd grade the first half of his rookie season as a C-.  Definitely going to get better with experience.  Like Allen, he's had to adjust to much stiffer competition.  

Sounds about right...

Oliver def isn't looking as good as I thought he would

virtually no contribution to the defense this season other than a few QB hurries and tipped balls. I was really pissed Hockenson went right before us I thought he would have been our franchise TE here. 

Edited by Tesla03

Really, he is looking at a D based upon draft hype and spot. Cannot really tell what he is going to be, as a slow start is not surprising given the school he played for. That said:

tenor.gif

Edited by Paulus
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He invisible this season. That’s a failing grade in my book!

What do they expect with his size..... he’s not built for that position in the nfl. 

Our management knows personnel pretty well but Oliver as a DT in the nfl I question.

Thank gosh they got Jordan Phillips!

There's so much going on during a live game, its really hard to keep track of players.  However, Joe Buscaglia does a weekly grade on each player using the All-22 video from each play of every game.  The results are published each Wednesday after the game.  He also has cumulative ratings over the season.  Through the Eagles game, Oliver is the #8 ranked player from his analysis that includes both offense and defense.  He's the #2 ranked D-lineman after Hughes and is ranked higher than Matt Milano, Tremaine Edmunds and Jordan Poyer.  We can have our flash thoughts on this, but its really true that you need to study the film in its totality

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1