A Few Thoughts about the Redskins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Nice review Virgil,

6 - 2 without the sugar coating is much appreciated.

Daboll is taking allot of heat and deservedly so I suppose. On the other hand with so many new faces, rookies, and a revamped Oline along with a 2nd year QB. It doesn't surprise me that the Buffalo Bills are a work in progress on O.

Getting cute with a 1st and goal on the 2 did get under my skin.

With that being said, pounding the ball 3 straight times with Gore also didn't work so... 

Edited by Figster

16 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Appreciate your thoughts as always Virgil.

Two thoughts: Shaq and Lawson are one and the same, no?

Secondly, I really wish Daboll would stop sending in the outdated Jumbo package on 3rd and one. It simply doesn’t work. Too many big bodies clogging up the running lanes. The move is to spread the field with four wideouts and run the QB sneak. All he needs to do is pay attention to what Brady does to us every time in that situation.

Damn it!  I meant Lawson.  I'm an idiot.  Thank you

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ny33 said:

I’ve occasionally seen Beasley be tentative towards the ball in physical situations, but Brown has shown nothing but precision and drive to me. I’m very confident that the current receiver corps has the right mentality and level of skill to help Allen grow, but the team would be well-served to add a consistent physical threat early in the coming draft. 

I don't know; Brown had 2 pretty brutal drops today.

I guess since I watch every game each week I feel like I see a lot of other WRs make much better plays on the football than ours.

Just look at that KC-Minnesota game today; Tyreek Hill singlehandedly made Matt Moore's passing day with 3 separate solo efforts in contested catch situations.

Not saying that I expect anyone on this team to be Hill; only that there's a significant difference when Hill goes for the ball and when John Brown lets today's deep ball slip through his hands despite having position on the defender.

33 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Totally irrespective of what Allen does in the passing game, does it bother anyone else that our WRs don't attack the ball at all?

I mean, zero aggressiveness toward the football.

Agreed, and it's a bigger problem when you have a QB that can escape the pocket and throw on the run. The receivers don't do a good enough job of running with him and coming back to the ball.

They need to get a #1 WR in the offseason, somehow. Maybe AJ Green becomes a free agent. Brown and Beasley are a good start but we're missing a top end talent.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Distorted One said:

Virgil, guys like you take away a lot of the fun of the game for yourselves.  You can nit-pick till the cows come home but you're just over-thinking everything.  Try and look at the big picture more because that's all that matters.  Big picture = wins and losses.  The Bill's big picture is looking pretty darn good right now. 

I'm very happy that we're 6-2, but that's NOT all that matters - if it were, then we wouldn't watch the games, we'd just check the standings. Yes, 6-2 matters, but it's also important to note HOW we played. You're right that the big picture looks pretty darn good, but pretty darn good isn't good enough to go all the way.

Virgil had plenty of good things to say about the Bills and he pointed out the areas that need improvement, while stating up-front his personal biases. You can't get much more objective than that.

And I disagree that analyzing the game takes the fun out of it. I appreciate that a handful of posters go into details - they often catch something that I didn't notice during the game. I know it's easier to just yell, "So-and-So sucks" but some of us like to discuss the evidence that supports or refutes a conclusion. That's not overthinking - it's critical thinking. The world could use more of it.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 2

OL may not have got much push and Morse got blown up on at least one play, but there was opportunity for a better RB to gain a yard on the short yardage runs. Gore has lost a step and did not hit the line very well. I thought the plays called also developed slowly. Josh sneaks worked well. Also, Bills had 1st and goal from around the 4 and we tried to throw or gadget early. Ended with FG. Only after that disaster series did Daboll become single minded to run. They have to start getting better to beat the better teams. I could see a few losses coming up if they don't. 

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't know; Brown had 2 pretty brutal drops today.

I guess since I watch every game each week I feel like I see a lot of other WRs make much better plays on the football than ours.

Just look at that KC-Minnesota game today; Tyreek Hill singlehandedly made Matt Moore's passing day with 3 separate solo efforts in contested catch situations.

Not saying that I expect anyone on this team to be Hill; only that there's a significant difference when Hill goes for the ball and when John Brown lets today's deep ball slip through his hands despite having position on the defender.

I saw one bad drop from Brown (the right side hook route that went threw his hands). May have missed the other, but he otherwise looked precise on his routes (and the sideline first down catch was all a team could ask for). 

Hill is a rare talent. But I think the team will be in a great position to grab a few elite teams prospects at offensive skill positions early in the coming draft.

I think it’s important to consider that this team gave a rookie from Wyoming the pathetic shell of Kelvin Benjamin, a gadget player in Zay, and little else (on top of no veteran QB mentor and a CFL-level offensive line) last year. Beane and McDermott completely failed to support our rookie QB last year. But I think they’ve done as well as could be expected this offseason and generally recognized their past mistakes.

We could certainly use an elite pass rusher, LB depth, and a reliable offensive tackle, but this team can finally afford to take shots at elite skill position players early (which Manuel wasn’t good enough to spend a first round pick, let alone two, on Allen). If we get a physical rookie talent like Metcalf, the offense has competitive potential.  

The point about Daboll only being able to be a run team or a pass team is spot on.  

Also, getting too cute....yep....been saying this for weeks now.  

But hopefully this is him figuring out how to use these new pieces on the O.

And keep Foster active.   Both him and Duke if possible!  

8 minutes ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

OL may not have got much push and Morse got blown up on at least one play, but there was opportunity for a better RB to gain a yard on the short yardage runs. Gore has lost a step and did not hit the line very well. I thought the plays called also developed slowly. Josh sneaks worked well. Also, Bills had 1st and goal from around the 4 and we tried to throw or gadget early. Ended with FG. Only after that disaster series did Daboll become single minded to run. They have to start getting better to beat the better teams. I could see a few losses coming up if they don't. 

The Redskins front 7 is solid. 

We didn't beat a bad defense today.  They have some talent over there.  

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

I don't even know why I write the opening statement anymore...

It is the "that said" where the issue begins. LOL. But yes. The wind was gusting and that punt went straight up and hit a wall. The whole section I was in said the same collectively. The Washington punter struggled in the same direction.

Edited by fansince88

The front seven had a very bad first half trying to stop the only weapon the Redskins had on display today, but the DBs should take some part of the blame too. Taron Johnson missed two easy tackles on him and Wallace tried to go up on AP and was steamrolled for a first down.

The whole team adjusted and they got better in the the second half.

5 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

So negative after a solid win.

Agreed.  A win in the NFL is not easy.   But the Bills need to fix their mistakes..I thought the biggest issue yesterday was Dabolls play calling...It crushed many drives...everyone else played their part.  Teams are coming at the Bills after Miami found a way to run the ball and the Bills have been meek to respond back...May be this is thee way coach McDermott wants to win.

My big concern for this team is the GM. We are getting gashed up the middle, despite the 2nd half turnaround, so let's look at the 3 starters in that middle triangle.

1. Star Lotulelei was signed for 6 years to a big money contract. He's been terrible for years, so why the big money for him? He's way overpaid. Unlike may other observers, I think Beane's FA acquisitions have been a mixed bag.

2. Ed Oliver was a 1st round pick. He may turn out OK, but right now he's a serious liability and it's not like his position is all that difficult to play for a rookie. Many rookies perform well at DT.

3. Tremaine Edwards. He's still young, but he was a 1st round pick and he sure doesn't look like it. He just can't get off blocks.

These are some of the most important acquisitions that Beane has made considering that 6 year deal and 2 of our top 3 picks under Beane aren't performing very well. Quite honestly, I don't know if Josh Allen will ever be anything more than an average pocket passer even with his arm strength. He continues to struggle with his accuracy. We need for those 1st and 2nd round picks to become the elite players we thought we were drafting and early returns are not promising. If Allen, Edmunds, Oliver and Ford don't start playing much, much better, I think we can only be a mediocre team in the long run. We have to do a much better job. I admit that I liked all the pre-draft chatter about Ed Oliver like many of you. He's been invisible all season long. Quite frankly, I think Harrison and Jordan Phillips are the 2 best DT's on our roster right now.

• Like (+1) 2

I wish the Bills D would force more turnovers and perhaps score one of these games. You'd think they'd stumble into a score somewhere in 8 games. 

I didn't record the game but it seemed like in the 2nd half  Oliver was in on more likely pass downs and Taylor and Star (with Phillips at times) were in for likely run downs. The added beef seemed to help. I liked Taylor's play on the screen pass. 

As many problems as Cleveland is having I still think they are dangerous and will be playing for their season next week. Hoping we can make their lives miserable.

Edited by BubbaT

We are still losing in the trenches. 

Our DL got pushed around yesterday with the Run game.   Our OL got pushed around yesterday in the Run game.  We were a disaster in running the ball in those short yard situations.  The coaching did not help

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/3/2019 at 6:08 PM, Virgil said:

You are 100% right and it's something I've honestly thought about as I wrote this.  It's a struggle sometimes because I'm allowing myself to start to treat the team like a playoff caliber unit.  The negatives, as I try to own up front as negatives, is coming from a mindset of what worries me going forward and as I evaluate a 6-2 team.

In recent years, it's almost been easier to be positive because expectations were so low.  I didn't think about anything beyond the game we were playing.

What's also funny to me is that a lot of my Allen comments could easily have his name removed and replaced with Tyrod from a final result.  But saying that will get me killed.  While they are very different QB's and Allen has way more potential, the end result is similar lately.

But yes, I understand your point and am trying to find the common ground.  When we made the playoffs two years ago, I didn't care that we lost to the Jags.  I was just so happy we made it finally. This year, I'd feel pissed if we got bounced in the first round.  I'd be moreso pissed if it's because of the things I mentioned in the first 3 points because it's something we are seeing happen every week now and aren't adjusting.

Overall, it's a testament to the raised expectations McD has created for me while also trying not to buy into previous Bills results. 

I honestly appreciate your post and I hope that somewhat adds some light to where I'm coming from.  Remember, we are both coming from the same place of wanting to see a winning team.

Also, this

Gracious humble response Virgil. I appreciate your work and efforts each week. There is usually not much I disagree with. And I think you are spot on, the expectations have been raised by the winning and the weird things happening around the league.

I think we can all agree being 6-2 is a good thing and we have much to be grateful for--including having the time and resources to do something as meaningless as debating on a team fan board--so in the middle of all the critiques, let's all take a deep breath and be thankful that we are 6-2, that we can have this discussion at all, and that we're not Cleveland Browns fans.

Edited by CSBill
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

7 - PI Calls - Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not PI if the defender initiates the tackle on the receiver before the ball gets to the receiver and also makes zero attempt to make a play for the ball?  I really want to know more about how that play wasn't considered PI and why McD didn't challenge it.  My assumption is the almost non-existent overturned PI calls that occurred this season.  That would have been a huge play for us and put the game back to a two score game.  On a side note, there was a challenge PI call in the Steelers/Colts game where they called PI, but didn't overturn it on the challenge.  The ball was overthrown to the receiver by at least 10 yards, but they upheld the call on the field.  Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but it's hard to not wonder if the refs are collectively rebelling against the rule change to allow their judgement calls be challenged.

8 - Special Teams - Two weeks in a row where the winds are affecting the football.  I'd be curious to hear from someone at the game about the one punt by Bojo that barely traveled 20 yards.  The commentators called it a shank, but the Skins punter executed the same type of punt from roughly the same spot on the field.  Other than that, Bojo was solid today and absolutely crushed one into the wind.  I was shocked at how far he was able to push.  I'd also be curious to see if reporters asked Roberts about his return deep into Redskins territory as he fielded it 5 yards into the endzone, but then took off.  I feel like he had to see something to make that decision.  But lastly, let's give credit to Foster for absolutely destroying the Redskins second kickoff return.  There was a lot of articles last year about how Foster really opened up to his role on special teams and made his impact felt today.

Great play by Foster, props for that hit.

The return from deep in the EZ does not appear to be part of The Process, so I too am curious to find out more.  Was it something coaches saw on film? Was it all on Roberts?

Regarding the PI...those replay reviews come from NYC, don't they?  If you think that there is a conspiracy it goes all the way to league employees.

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

You are 100% right and it's something I've honestly thought about as I wrote this.  It's a struggle sometimes because I'm allowing myself to start to treat the team like a playoff caliber unit.  The negatives, as I try to own up front as negatives, is coming from a mindset of what worries me going forward and as I evaluate a 6-2 team.

In recent years, it's almost been easier to be positive because expectations were so low.  I didn't think about anything beyond the game we were playing.

What's also funny to me is that a lot of my Allen comments could easily have his name removed and replaced with Tyrod from a final result.  But saying that will get me killed.  While they are very different QB's and Allen has way more potential, the end result is similar lately.

But yes, I understand your point and am trying to find the common ground.  When we made the playoffs two years ago, I didn't care that we lost to the Jags.  I was just so happy we made it finally. This year, I'd feel pissed if we got bounced in the first round.  I'd be moreso pissed if it's because of the things I mentioned in the first 3 points because it's something we are seeing happen every week now and aren't adjusting.

Overall, it's a testament to the raised expectations McD has created for me while also trying not to buy into previous Bills results. 

I honestly appreciate your post and I hope that somewhat adds some light to where I'm coming from.  Remember, we are both coming from the same place of wanting to see a winning team.

Also, this

In life, happiness is simply the gap between expectations and reality.  If you expect a lot from other people, you likely will be disappointed.  Keep your expectations in check, and you'll be happier.  This was a 6-10 team last year that has a QB who is just in his second year.  The OL was revamped, but has not jelled, as the inability to gain a single yard on repeated occasions shows.  The WRs are better, but just OK.  Your expectations are too high-- lower them.  And remember the team is on an upward trajectory into the 2020s, enjoy the ride.

• Like (+1) 3