A few thoughts about the TBD gameday thread, in no particular order

OK guys, we are 6-2 woohoo!  So why do so many Bills fans act like we are a terrible football team, edging toward implosion?  Some of the posts today absolutely drove me crazy.  I swear some of you are Russian trolls.  

1. Just stop with the "barely beating bad teams" posts.  24-9 is a convincing win.  Redskins are not a good team, but that doesn't mean we are going to win by 100 points.  We had many missed opportunities, but at no point were the Bills not in control of this game.  The R-words never led and never scored a TD.  In the end we won by more than 2 TDs.

2. We are 6-2 halfway in.  6-2 x 2 = 12-4.  Maybe we drop an extra game or two, but we would have to totally implode not to earn our way to the playoffs this year.  That would be the first time we EARNED our way to the playoffs this century.  Think about that.

3. Haters cannot have it both ways on Daboll.  He drives me nuts because he outthinks his own self doing the unexpected at the worst possible times.  But here's the thing: we collectively criticized him going into this game as not pounding the rock enough.  And this game, he pounded the rock …  a lot, and successfully.  Yet, somehow, this became a liability late in the game with lots of "stop running on 3rd and 1" posts.  Gore is getting those calls and we want Singletary, I get it but at least Daboll is finally running the football!  Baby steps, sheesh.

4. Last night I saw upon the stair

A little man who wasn't there.

He wasn't there again today

I hope he never goes away!

5. Still so many Allen-cant-get-it-done posts.  He was 14-20, 160 yards and a TD with no INT.  Those aren't great stats for fantasy football, but for NFL football it gets the job done.  His job was not to score 50 points, it was to score more points than the other team.  And once again, he made plays when it most mattered.  And he is learning not throw INTs playing hero ball, throwing it away if he has to.  And OK, I will admit he needs to hold onto the football better when he runs.  But there was at least one put in Barkley post . . . SMH.

6. Booing your own team is never classy.  I cant imagine it is helpful, either.  Better to circle the wagons and support the team.  Even online.

Bottom line: By now you all know I like a good snark, and we all have fun with "any given Sunday" and "its hard to win in the NFL" tropes.  But it is true that in this league, almost any team can beat almost any other team if they have a good game and/or get some lucky breaks.  We won another game today, and are one win closer to earning a playoff spot.  

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 20
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

OK guys, we are 6-2 woohoo!  So why do so many Bills fans act like we are a terrible football team, edging toward implosion?  Some of the posts today absolutely drove me crazy.  I swear some of you are Russian trolls.  

1. Just stop with the "barely beating bad teams" posts.  24-9 is a convincing win.  Redskins are not a good team, but that doesn't mean we are going to win by 100 points.  We had many missed opportunities, but at no point were the Bills not in control of this game.  The R-words never led and never scored a TD.  In the end we won by more than 2 TDs.

2. We are 6-2 halfway in.  6-2 x 2 = 12-4.  Maybe we drop an extra game or two, but we would have to totally implode not to earn our way to the playoffs this year.  That would be the first time we EARNED our way to the playoffs this century.  Think about that.

3. Haters cannot have it both ways on Daboll.  He drives me nuts because he outthinks his own self doing the unexpected at the worst possible times.  But here's the thing: we collectively criticized him going into this game as not pounding the rock enough.  And this game, he pounded the rock …  a lot, and successfully.  Yet, somehow, this became a liability late in the game with lots of "stop running on 3rd and 1" posts.  Gore is getting those calls and we want Singletary, I get it but at least Daboll is finally running the football!  Baby steps, sheesh.

5. Still so many Allen-cant-get-it-done posts.  He was 14-20, 160 yards and a TD with no INT.  Those aren't great stats for fantasy football, but for NFL football it gets the job done.  His job was not to score 50 points, it was to score more points than the other team.  And once again, he made plays when it most mattered.  And he is learning not throw INTs playing hero ball, throwing it away if he has to.  And OK, I will admit he needs to hold onto the football better when he runs.  But there was at least one put in Barkley post . . . SMH.

6. Booing your own team is never classy.  I cant imagine it is helpful, either.  Better to circle the wagons and support the team.  Even online.

Bottom line: By now you all know I like a good snark, and we all have fun with "any given Sunday" and "its hard to win in the NFL" tropes.  But it is true that in this league, almost any team can beat almost any other team if they have a good game and/or get some lucky breaks.  We won another game today, and are one win closer to earning a playoff spot.  

GO BILLS!

I agree with everything except #4)

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The problem is that the Bills haven’t looked impressive. I’ll give them the Patriots loss but four of our wins are against the four worst teams in the league and we’ve struggled in all of them. They don’t pass the eye test (or the analytics test).

Also, 14/20 for 160 isn’t good enough to win against any playoff caliber team. This team isn’t as good as their record suggests. They might make the playoffs, great, but I still don’t think they’re very good. 

Edited by eanyills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, eanyills said:

The problem is that the Bills haven’t looked impressive. I’ll give them the Patriots loss but four of our wins are against the four worst teams in the league and we’ve struggled in all of them. They don’t pass the eye test (or the analytics test).

Also, 14/20 for 160 isn’t good enough to win against any playoff caliber team. This team isn’t as good as their record suggests. They might make the playoffs, great, but I still don’t think they’re very good. 

Tyrod numbers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Agreed, Joe! Are we championship caliber now? I don’t think so but this team is, and have been, on a specific trajectory since McD and Beane arrived. 

With next years draft being heavy in WR’s, the final pieces should fall into place. 

When rebuilding a franchise we, as fans, need to look at the long game, in my opinion. Pretty easy to see who does around here. ? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He was 14/20 with a 50/50 ball that should’ve been PI and a drop by Brown... 

You can have issues with the play calling, and that’s fine.  I liked the run first approach with Singletary as the feature back, BUT we need to push the ball down the field more.  

Aside from the fumble, I’m not sure how anyone is complaining about Allen today... the passing game in general, sure, but Allen was pretty solid. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Nice Post Joe!

People act like this team will never click on a cylinders. I'm not even remotely concerned as they are pilling up W's, while still learning their identity on Offense. The biggest issue Offense turnovers (fingers crossed) seem to have been corrected since the bye week. We have 1 recorded TO in the last 3 games. 

I want this O and D to click consistently going into the playoffs were anything is possible. 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We are a mediocre team that has beaten bad teams in no particular order.

The Bills did not make the schedule and can only beat the teams in front of them.  The Bills have areas to improve (i.e. short yardage offense, run defense, ) but overall look good.

2 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Agreed, Joe! Are we championship caliber now? I don’t think so but this team is, and have been, on a specific trajectory since McD and Beane arrived. 

With next years draft being heavy in WR’s, the final pieces should fall into place. 

When rebuilding a franchise we, as fans, need to look at the long game, in my opinion. Pretty easy to see who does around here. ? 

Nice and also agree. We are a few pieces away. This team reminds me of the late 80's Bills right now. However, this year is only half way done and the puzzle might come together for a strong late season push. 

16 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

GO BILLS!

I predict this post will draw the very posts you complain of, like vinegar draws Drosophila

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins...man, that feels so good to say...?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Im very happy to be 6-2, and very happy to get another win today (a win is a win is a win). BUT...

That doesnt mean there is nothing to improve and nothing to critique about yet again squeaking out another win against one of the worst teams in the league.

Dont forget, after half we came out playing more uninspired ball and let them make it a 1-score game. When we should have come out, put ANY points up, and put the game away.

We dont take control of games. We dont have a killer instinct. And when we're discussing the game in real time, those things will be pointed out. Doesnt mean we love the team any less, just means we all recognize things that need to be fixed.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins Redskins...man, that feels so good to say...?

Go with God Crispy

• Haha (+1) 1