Postgame Thread Bills Redskins

Whatever they did at halftime to fix the run defense and the offensive execution in the early game carried them today. Hopefully that keeps up. They also didn't give up a touchdown.

I think in the 3rd quarter the wind made them a little too run happy. The 4th quarter drive happened when Allen got an opportunity to throw. Buffalo didn't throw or kick into the wind all day.

The concern is the short yardage performance for the offense. Daboll was probably onto something trying to be cute at the beginning of the game, made an adjustment when that didn't work, and then going straight didn't work either. On some of those 3rd and ones they need to put the ball in Allen's hands and let him throw it.

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I just can't be optimistic anymore after watching these last 3 games. More issues are coming to light each week. How much longer will McDermott tolerate Dumboll. When will the playcalling stop being stupid. When does Singletary get 90% of the carries. When does the worst punter in the league cost us a game. When do we stop the run? Many have called us posers, pretenders? Right now Daboll is the elephant in the room. He's a 1 man wrecking crew slowing Josh's development. 

I would agree Dabol does not seem to plan well.  I think calling for the McKenzie pitch early, then following at the goal line was dumb.  I actually did not mind him going back to Gore multiple times and asking his line to actually make a push and finish a drive.  Seeing the players unable to push for one yard several times is far more concerning than the play calls.

Neither punter kicked into the wind well.  Bojorquez has been fair this year.  Not flawless, but better than I believed he would play.

Run defense was my primary hope today and played poorly in the first half.  They need to do a better job of pushing the o-line back, and not just hold to a standstill.  They need penetration and linebackers need to fill quicker.

This year, we have not lost any game to an inferior team.  That has been a problem in the past.  If we hold that trend, we should be 9-2 heading into the Thanksgiving game.

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Depends when they blew the whistle. I posted at the time it makes no sense NOT to challenge there. They had the lead and timeouts would not be an issue. A first down there and the game is probably over. 

Similarly no reason not to challenge the John Brown drop when Norman hit him early. Personally I thought it was a good non call and the contact did not cause the drop. That said, there is no downside to a challenge there either.

Poor coaching by McD.

There is zero chance that call gets reversed.  The rule was put in to placate the Saints, and its been obvious all year the league has no intention of actually reversing PI calls, and they are letting the coaches know by their steadfadt refusal to reverse PI calls across the board.  Coaches are getting the message now and understand the PI challenge is a joke.  If McD challenged there it would have been a wasted challenge one hundred percent.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, vincec said:

Baltimore? 

Denver is beatable.   Our keys to making the playoffs are games with the Browns and Broncos.  We win both of those games, we should be in. (Assuming we don't drop a game to the fins or Jets.)

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My quick thoughts:

1) congrats Devin! Great game.  But can we maybe try to design some runs outside for him?   He must stay healthy!

2) I thought Allen looked fine today. Did exactly what he needed to do. Mostly nice passes.  Only glaringly bad one was the throw behind Brown on that slant. Otherwise, a few key drops...

3) on that note...as much as I love John Brown, he had a few uncharacteristic drops. He did however redeem himself on the third and long near the end. 

4) Run D had better get it together. 

5) screen defense better get it together.

6) really would like to see some more takeaways from this defense. I don’t know where we rank in takeaways, but seems like it’s be low. 

7) a win is a win... but would love to have just one game iced in the third quarter.   

8) PLEASE WIN NEXT WEEK!!!

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not true. Depends who the losses are against. 10-6 may not do it (though it probably will). In your scenario the four wins would need to be Denver, Browns, Pittsburgh, and either Jets or Dolphins. Beating Dallas and still losing 4 AFC games may not cut it.

10-6 is as close to a guarantee as it gets. I don't see any other wildcard contenders getting there. Certainly not 2 of them.

Not pretty at times, but the run defense made adjustments after getting gashed in the second quarter and pretty much shut AP down in the second half.    I blame the play calling more than the players on offense.      When the season started, I thought that Buffalo would need to be 6-2 to have a real shot at the playoffs, they have done that.      Big game next week in Cleveland

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Beach said:

question: when Knox caught the ball on 3rd down he landed on top of the defender, after he reached was he still short of a 1st down?  this happened on the drive that ended in turn over on downs.

His elbow touched before he reached and rolled. The spot was correct.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Terrible unimaginative play calling again. Gore is getting worse by the game. 

Defense isn’t elite they are good but severely weak on the run. 

Star is TERRIBLE!!! Unless you are his agent or family you can’t argue this point with a straight face.

Allen has to secure the ball. 

Brown missed a catch today. He needs to be seeing at least 7 targets a game.

Beasley needs more targets.

where are the TE’s? 

All the problems are masked due to playing a bad team with a rookie QB making his first start.

Bills will loose to Cleveland if Daboll plays scared ball. The problem is the offense and the offensive play calling.

Spot on my friend.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Livinginthepast said:

Why was Duke Inactive? injured?

All WRs are healthy. They just can’t all be active at the same time - the Bills are lucky to not have a lot of injuries so they are sitting healthy guys. They went with McKenzie - he was clearly in the game plan so I’m assuming it was matchup driven 

Edited by YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Allen has reduced the bad throws leading to INTs but yet another fumble and 2 more misses on deep throws again just keep you guessing on this guy. 

What deep throws did he miss? He was very accurate today, to every level of the field.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

In the second half?  In the first half, yes, he was out there quite a bit.  The second half I saw mostly J Phillips and V Taylor.

I'll be interested if someone does some analysis from the tape that shows the improved run D corresponded with Taylor being in vs Star