Deadspin is dead

Just Jack

1 hour ago, GG said:

The only way to save it is to roll it up under an umbrella of multiple publications, and cross fertilize the content.  They already own a politics oriented publication.

Other than what's under the Gizmodo Media Group?   I don't know what else they own, but they did kill Splinter.  Which is part of the reason Deadspin got more political the past few months, and why Jezebel is getting even more political now than it already was (with readers flocking from Deadspin.)

The way this is evolving, they're going to end up killing the entire GMG product...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, given how it's populated with staff that believe "We're outraged snowflakes!" is a business model.

1 hour ago, GregPersons said:

The evidence does not support this claim.

It wasn't. 

Based on the sale price, the probability that it was profitable is less than zero.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GregPersons said:

The site didn't collapse. The writers quit because of irresponsible ownership. You don't know what you're talking about except for the good point in your username.

They lost a million dollar ad deal because of the writers hissy fit prior to quitting. 

Are you a deadspin exec?

4 hours ago, GregPersons said:

That's just inaccurate. Deadspin was as popular,and culturally relevant as much as any new media digital blogspace could be. They were political from the beginning, it's just heightened because everything heightened politically in the last 10 years. They were always mocking of the conservative elements in sports culture.

It was profitable, despite the sales of ownership that had nothing to do with the site's KPIs, but the overinflated speculative market that led to VICE getting billion dollar evaluations. Investment capital still largely does not understand digital media and view it simply as a get-rich-quick scheme, which is an example of the flaws of the overall corrupt market. Look around at the capital supporting text-based journalism, in new media or old.

thumb_thanks-greg-megenerator-net-thanks

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

They lost a million dollar ad deal because of the writers hissy fit prior to quitting. 

Are you a deadspin exec?

Lol. Do you enjoy autoplay ad videos with default sound all over the sites you visit? The editors put out the protest blog about those ads because readers complained loudly. Jesus man. Sort yourself out.

stick to your supposed “humor” threads that get shut down in 3 hours.

Edited by JoPar_v2

Just now, JoPar_v2 said:

Lol. Do you enjoy autoplay ad videos with default sound all over the sites you visit? The editors put out the protest blog about those ads because readers complained loudly. Jesus man. Sort yourself out.

I don’t enjoy them. But the thing about businesses is if the employees want to get paid, they need to make money.

It was a bunch of crybabies acting exactly like that.

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I don’t enjoy them. But the thing about businesses is if the employees want to get paid, they need to make money.

It was a bunch of crybabies acting exactly like that.

so they are “crybabies” because they alerted their readers that they agreed with them on a very annoying ad change that they sympathized with and encouraged the readers to ask for change? Yes sure. I disagree with late Deadspin’s politics for the most part but this ad issue that contributed to the implosion is entirely on management.

the real reason why this occurred is G/O media itself - a vulture capital operation who is in the deadspin business to turn a quarterly increase in profit so they can flip it, at any and all expense to the writers, editors, and readers. Gotta get that State Farm money quick after all, so they can flip the sites for a profit before people realize their a bunch of idiots when it comes to modern day digital media.

8 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

so they are “crybabies” because they alerted their readers that they agreed with them on a very annoying ad change that they sympathized with and encouraged the readers to ask for change? Yes sure. I disagree with late Deadspin’s politics for the most part but this ad issue that contributed to the implosion is entirely on management.

the real reason why this occurred is G/O media itself - a vulture capital operation who is in the deadspin business to turn a quarterly increase in profit so they can flip it, at any and all expense to the writers, editors, and readers. Gotta get that State Farm money quick after all, so they can flip the sites for a profit before people realize their a bunch of idiots when it comes to modern day digital media.

Yeah, asking customers to publicly complain about something your parent company is doing, which cost them a million bucks, is being a bad employee.

The thing the deadspin idiots forgot is that they don’t own deadspin. Their snarky sports coverage is done by everybody on the Internet now. Barry wasn’t talented enough to be worth that kind of nonsense.

and yeah, how dare that company try to make money off the website they own. They should operate at a loss so we can get more content about yogurt taste testing that are viewed by 300 people. That’s what the editors want.

Edited by BringBackOrton

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yeah, asking customers to publicly complain about something your parent company is doing, which cost them a million bucks, is being a bad employee.

The thing the deadspin idiots forgot is that they don’t own deadspin. Their snarky sports coverage is done by everybody on the Internet now. Barry wasn’t talented enough to be worth that kind of nonsense.

You can quibble about the talent level of late Deadspin and I can’t honestly argue that the level did decrease at the end, but the editorial shop is supposed to be independent of the business end and if (which i am sure they did) raising the autoplay ad issue internally produced no results then they were entirely within their rights raising the issue publicly through their blog. Being a good journalist (and good consumer advocate) trumped being a “good employee” and bootlicker in that case and kudos to them for that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

You can quibble about the talent level of late Deadspin and I can’t honestly argue that the level did decrease at the end, but the editorial shop is supposed to be independent of the business end and if (which i am sure they did) raising the autoplay ad issue internally produced no results then they were entirely within their rights raising the issue publicly through their blog. Being a good journalist (and good consumer advocate) trumped being a “good employee” and bootlicker in that case and kudos to them for that.

Everyone is within their rights to act like a crybaby. The company was also within their rights to laugh in their face when they whined about it.

There is also zero bearing on journalism when it comes to auto play ads. It may have annoyed some consumers, but it would not have affected their ability to report or write ethically. They were the ones who made it a story, and who ended up costing their company money.

Edited by BringBackOrton

14 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Everyone is within their rights to act like a crybaby. The company was also within their rights to laugh in their face when they whined about it.

There is also zero bearing on journalism when it comes to auto play ads. It may have annoyed some consumers, but it would not have affected their ability to report or write ethically. They were the ones who made it a story, and who ended up costing their company money.

Again, they made it a story to alert their braindead bosses on how annoying those autoads were to their customers. Maybe you think alienating your longtime customers is good business, but I tend to think differently. Deadspin writers were looking out for their terrible bosses when they posted that protest blog.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yup, and the company’s actions and decisions....checks math....cost them way more money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Deadspin was not successful at the end. They had been sold twice. Their flame was dying. Their decline was strongly correlated with their pivot to preachy politics. Magary, one of the funniest guys on the Internet, who used to be grounded in reality, wrote a piece on how he cried after the 2016 election. I mean, come on lol.

No, you're wrong again. Deadspin was not sold - all of the former Gawker sites were sold.  First because of the Hulk Hogan/Peter Thiel lawsuit and then because Univision mismanaged things badly.  There isn't a singe analytic to support to notion that it was failing.

Their "non-sports" stories were less than 5% of the content that was strictly on Deadspin and those stories got better traffic than the strictly sports stories.  To say that they pivoted seems bizarre to me because it has never been a site strictly dedicated to sports.  

Magary is still one of the best reads on the internet and he has covered non-sports topics for years.  Because writers of a particular website subscribe to politics that you don't agree with - and that's clearly the case - doesn't mean they failed.  It means the content just isn't for you and for plenty of others and there's nothing wrong with that.  If you don't like it, go ahead and go elsewhere but there are millions of readers that will miss it a great deal because of how it stood out from other boring & stale sites.

Bottom line is that it's dead because a moronic CEO came in, got rid of people to install his own "talent", tried to impose his will for some reason and didn't think the staff would stand up to his idiocy.  Well they did & even though the domain still exists and there have been some posts here & there - it's dead.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

That's part of the reaction to this and plenty of other similar topics that's astonishing to me but it really shouldn't be.  The whole argument that the writers are crybabies and should just shut up and do what they are told is pathetic to me.  Is that really how those that believe that sort of things live their lives?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

That's part of the reaction to this and plenty of other similar topics that's astonishing to me but it really shouldn't be.  The whole argument that the writers are crybabies and should just shut up and do what they are told is pathetic to me.  Is that really how those that believe that sort of things live their lives?  

That you should shut up at work and listen to your boss?  Yeah, that's part of the deal in getting a paycheck, especially when you are working for a struggling company and replacement talent is readily available.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

No, if they disagree with corporate policy, they should shut up or leave.  No one has a problem with that.  That's what adults do.  I'm leaving my job because of some execrably immoral (and illegal - managers holding people's paychecks in abeyance as punishment) practices.

It's their histrionic nonsense that makes them crybabies.  I'm leaving my job, but I'm throwing a public tantrum about it.

Edited by DC Tom
  • Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, GG said:

That you should shut up at work and listen to your boss?  Yeah, that's part of the deal in getting a paycheck, especially when you are working for a struggling company and replacement talent is readily available.

replacement talent was not readily available.  See: current state of deadspin.

and blindly obeying your company is thankfully an old and dying way of thinking.  

On 11/2/2019 at 12:13 AM, CaptnCoke11 said:

Good.  Garbage website

On 11/2/2019 at 12:05 AM, RyanC883 said:

very interesting.  Site was mostly garbage, IMO.  More click-bait and self-righteousness reporters than anything else.  

I thought the site was great.