Deadspin is dead

Just Jack

33 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I didn’t say that. Fox News does it all the time. 

But I’ve never known a conservative sports website that skews as far right as deadspin does left. I just want to read about sports and some funny items relating to sports. Not dead spins self righteous spew. 

Ok. Personally, I do not care where the lies, embellishment, sarcastic humor, secrecy and spinning without regards to the fact comes from. Spinning, embellishment, humor in bad taste, secrecy, and lies are harmful wherever it comes from. And the leader of this nation is normalizing that. Acting without integrity, and party before country, regardless if journalist, sports journalist, politician, or the average Jack and Jill,  will mean the death to this supposedly greatest country, and in ways this country has already lost its soul because of it. Thanks to those without an education, and those with no morals, ethics and compassion. Those with selfish, greedy, and power grabbing interests, whichever party they come from.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Viewership, Clicks, & Alexa ratings had been in a steady decline (could be stale content, could be political) and their parent company Gawker got sued for all their worth for leaking Hulk Hogans sex tape & being overall terrible at journalism. 

if the site was seeing continued success drastic changes would not have had to be made

Venture firms always want to pump online content spheres to be the next big thing like VICE. But that's just not realistic for a site like Deadspin. So they do two things 1- Spend a lot of money to pump up the revenue and hope to dump it or 2- Cut costs to the bone and bleed things dry.

They did the second option and the staff saw what happened to Sports Illustrated and made the move early. 

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Venture firms always want to pump online content spheres to be the next big thing like VICE. But that's just not realistic for a site like Deadspin. So they do two things 1- Spend a lot of money to pump up the revenue and hope to dump it or 2- Cut costs to the bone and bleed things dry.

They did the second option and the staff saw what happened to Sports Illustrated and made the move early. 

Not always, MOST of the time, ownership changes and not much else, unless changes NEED to be made. You don't hear about it when everything stays the same. SI has been struggling for years and hasn't been able to attract younger sports fans for almost a generation. I'm 34 and grew up waiting at the mailbox for my weekly issue of SI to come, a guy that's 24 didn't have that same experience and the Brand ”Sports Illustrated” means Nothing to him. Deadspin had at one point a vast audience; the product went in one direction to the displeasure of many of it's readers and now it's ? 

Edited by uticaclub

22 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

the product went in one direction to the displeasure of many of it's readers and now it's ? 

Lol.   All 3.9% of them. apparently...

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2019-11-01/deadspin-stick-to-sports-bad-math

"...the traffic to all of the stories Deadspin published in September: 41,404,600 page views. Of those, 1,629,800 were to those 18 non-sports stories.

No need to get the calculators out — that’s 3.9% of their total traffic to stories from 3.5% of their stories. The average non-sports story got 90,500 page views, which is 10,000 more than the average sports story."

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Lol.   All 3.9% of them. apparently...

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2019-11-01/deadspin-stick-to-sports-bad-math

"...the traffic to all of the stories Deadspin published in September: 41,404,600 page views. Of those, 1,629,800 were to those 18 non-sports stories.

No need to get the calculators out — that’s 3.9% of their total traffic to stories from 3.5% of their stories. The average non-sports story got 90,500 page views, which is 10,000 more than the average sports story."

It's not the non-sports stories that were the problem. It was the injection of ideology into the sports stories that was the problem.

And it wasn't just ideology that you may disagree with, but rather that which declares all non-believers to be debased heretics worthy of scorn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsDude said:

So you do not think Republicans use sports for their anti-liberal and pro-conservative talking points?  

Keep politics out of my sports. That's what I say.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

?

pm me if you want to compare resumes. Enjoy your Saturday and keep up the good fight!

Hahah....who says something like this?

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsDude said:

Ok. Personally, I do not care where the lies, embellishment, sarcastic humor, secrecy and spinning without regards to the fact comes from. Spinning, embellishment, humor in bad taste, secrecy, and lies are harmful wherever it comes from. And the leader of this nation is normalizing that. Acting without integrity, and party before country, regardless if journalist, sports journalist, politician, or the average Jack and Jill,  will mean the death to this supposedly greatest country, and in ways this country has already lost its soul because of it. Thanks to those without an education, and those with no morals, ethics and compassion. Those with selfish, greedy, and power grabbing interests, whichever party they come from.

This supposedly great country ???

Take this ? to PPP.    Stop blocking traffic hippee. 

Deadspin and you crying about the president have some sort of correlation? 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsDude said:

Dude. We are talking about Deadspin. Not Trump. What you just said is completely irrelevant 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Good call. They're not pansies at all. Everyone quits their sports writing jobs due to their feelings being hurt because they can't scribble "Trump/Republicans are literally Hitler" in their online diaries.

Lol. Princess chimes in to call people racist. Shocker.

writer finds job they like writing about topics they feel invested in. 

new company comes in and tells them to change.

they say no and leave instead of bending to their new directive. 

What exactly would be the cool and tough response? Write things they don’t want to while quietly obeying orders? Seems making a stand even if not the one I agree with is not particularly pansied in nature 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

writer finds job they like writing about topics they feel invested in. 

new company comes in and tells them to change.

they say no and leave instead of bending to their new directive. 

What exactly would be the cool and tough response? Write things they don’t want to while quietly obeying orders? Seems making a stand even if not the one I agree with is not particularly pansied in nature 

I think the problem is the deadspin staff USED to like writing about sports and being funny. Then they became sanctimonious and political, which hurt the sites’ bottom line. Then the site got sold, twice. Then when management said, “hey do you guys mind writing about sports and being funny like how we used to when we were profitable” they compared themselves to Rosa Parks and Muhammad Ali. And then they quit. And then a new dude got hired to write about sports and they shamed him into quitting his new job for not being as sanctimonious and political as them.

I don’t know what the cool move was, but they aren’t cool.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Deadspin died because the writers quit y'all. Not because they weren't doing well. The new ownership wanted them to write about sports only. The writers spammed out political articles and quit in protest. In other words, removing politics, if anything, killed Deadspin.

Doesn't matter. Sports websites live and die from the writer's fan base. Like Grantland -> The Ringer. These people will still be writing somewhere. SBNation and Barstool Sports likely.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P